Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33

Author Topic: [0.95a] The Mayorate v1.1.0 (2021-11-25)  (Read 319970 times)

Mysterhay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] The Mayorate v0.9.2 (updated 25/04/16)
« Reply #450 on: April 23, 2017, 06:22:57 PM »

Disruptor was an absolute pants weapon in the most recent version. SS+ or ship weapons pack added a similar weapon (heavy ion disruptor I think it was?) that basically did the same job, but was waaaay more effective for the flux and OP cost. Which was a shame as the sound and visual for the Mayorate disruptor are really great. I think the charge up delay on firing really hurt how the AI used it.

Graser PDs and that family were a really neat idea with the increasing damage with ship flux, and balanced pretty well. You also added the grav gun toward the end, the super high bullet speed kinetic weapon with decent range. That was also really niche for an anti frigate weapon for cap ship, definitely a keeper, though the weapon description says that you will add the weapon description this time around :p.

Cimeterre needed counselling though. That ship had suicidal tendencies on a whole new level, not sure how much you can change without manipulating the core AI files though.

Be sure to get the Ravanna to burn 8 and a little bit of love as well ;)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 23, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »

Balance side: One of the biggest things that I see mentioned is your missile cruiser. IIRC, it has 2 large missiles, one medium missile AND Fast Missile Racks, which can easily become stupid OP, even in .8. I would say at least remove FMR AND cut down the mounts to 1 large and 2 mids. That way it is still a missile cruiser but it isn't bulls*** OP.
Also, I would seriously talk with the other modders to see what issues they have with your mod, as sometimes there can be issues that can be right in front of us and we can't see them. Your mod has some nice things but needs many tweaks here and there to get it perfect and the others can help with that.
Working on the rare metals bug will also be good, which was another big issue I had with this.
If you haven't already, please stop replacing the Apogee sprite (and any other vanilla sprite if you do).

Sound side: PLEASE, for the love of the Goddess and everything that is holy, STOP using sounds from famous games (Mass Effect, MechWarrior, FreeSpace are a few that I remember)! It is lazy, can throw off the player and from what I have heard, you can make some pretty damn good sounds on your own.

Excellent! That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. The Apogee bit was an easy fix to make just now haha. And yeah, the missile cruiser had to be a little OP previously to compensate for the faction not having any heavy missile/support capitals (but that's fixed now  ;)). The only thing here I feel somewhat sketchy about is the sound business, but we'll see haha (I pretty much added the disruptors just so I could have a PPC...)

Disruptor was an absolute pants weapon in the most recent version. SS+ or ship weapons pack added a similar weapon (heavy ion disruptor I think it was?) that basically did the same job, but was waaaay more effective for the flux and OP cost. Which was a shame as the sound and visual for the Mayorate disruptor are really great. I think the charge up delay on firing really hurt how the AI used it.

Graser PDs and that family were a really neat idea with the increasing damage with ship flux, and balanced pretty well. You also added the grav gun toward the end, the super high bullet speed kinetic weapon with decent range. That was also really niche for an anti frigate weapon for cap ship, definitely a keeper, though the weapon description says that you will add the weapon description this time around :p.

Cimeterre needed counselling though. That ship had suicidal tendencies on a whole new level, not sure how much you can change without manipulating the core AI files though.

Be sure to get the Ravanna to burn 8 and a little bit of love as well ;)

Yeah the Cimeterre's biggest problem is how glassy it is and that it had an ultra-high damage ultra-short range weapon. Basically it always needed to stay at close range to do anything, which is of course where it can't get away and promptly dies. Going to have to get creative to fix that one haha

Kanil

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 24, 2017, 05:28:10 AM »

Genuine question: what are people loading their Del Azarchels with that makes them "bulls*** OP"? I mean, throwing 80 Squalls at something is amusing, but it's not... like... particularly effective or anything.

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 24, 2017, 06:41:42 AM »

Genuine question: what are people loading their Del Azarchels with that makes them "bulls*** OP"? I mean, throwing 80 Squalls at something is amusing, but it's not... like... particularly effective or anything.

Combine it with mods, and have Dyna throw you against a Del Azarchel while all or most of the Dyna supported mods.

You'll fine this cruiser scarier than before.

Or use OP missiles from OP mods.
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Phearlock

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 24, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »

To be fair, I think it can probably keep its 2 large+1med missile slots as long as fast missile racks is changed to a different system. Especially if it keeps its highly inefficient engines (something all of mayorate share, which will make their ships very unattractive in 0.8 with the long flight distances that are involved.)

With 0.8 doing away with most of the OP-adding skills, it will be quite OP starved anyway if you try fit it with all the weapon systems you want it to have (though the increase in base OP per ship will help it a bit).

whoopWHAT

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 27, 2017, 07:26:02 PM »

Will there be an update for 0.8? :D

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #456 on: June 05, 2017, 06:53:23 PM »

Hey Kazi!

Just here to say I still love Mayorate and I hope to see it updated soon, because my enemies aren't going to laser-torpedo themselves :D  (No pressure or anything though, just wanted to let you know I'm totally looking forward to it if you are planning on updating)

Mesnomer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 06, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »

My officers need their coffee. Please help.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 06, 2017, 06:53:00 PM »

My officers need their coffee. Please help.
Why are your officers using a captain's only coffee maker on a ship dedicated to cargo and coffee?
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 19, 2017, 01:28:02 PM »

I need this mod.
Hello!

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 31, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »

I know, I know, quit bugging the author... but I just wanted to point out that I really really miss my go-to faction for cleaning up the sector and there is still a lot of neeeeed for this floating around... not asking for a timeframe, just placing a "pretty please don't drop it" here...

...okay?

The Ender

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 13, 2017, 12:04:12 AM »

Is the Mayorate mod dead?

Would be a shame if that's the case (though I understand that modding interest comes & goes) - they were a neat faction, and their fast destroyer was one of my favorite coup de grace vehicles.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 29, 2019, 03:48:43 AM »

When i first saw name i read it "Mayonase", lul.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] The Mayorate v1.0.0 (2019-12-10)
« Reply #463 on: December 10, 2019, 10:00:03 PM »

Big thread necro. But a good one I promise!

Updated to version 1.0.0 for Starsector 0.9.1a. Download here: https://github.com/jstaf/mayorate/releases/download/v1.0.0/mayorate-1.0.0.zip

Changelog for those who used to play this mod back in its heyday (2014?):

Spoiler
v1.0.0

General changes:
- Starsector 0.9.1a compatibility.
- Massive code cleanup/reformat. Project builds now use Gradle instead of IDE-specific toolchains.
- Bumped version to 1.0.0. This doesn't mean that work has stopped, merely that this mod has reached what I wanted it to be all those years ago when I started this project. It's all grown-up now... *sniff*

Sound and music:
- Campaign music is part of the base mod again. Not sure why it was removed in the first place.
- Removed unlicensed music + added Njol (Jeremy Soule) to the campaign music.
- Temporarily disabled battle music for missions. It didn't always fire correctly, and I haven't had time to work on redoing the music plugin.
- Reverted changes to Graser and Grav Cannon that caused the weapon to fire out of sync with the actual weapon sound fx.
- Went through sound fx and decreased volumes of those that were out of line with mount size.

Campaign:
- Mayorate faction color changed to light-yellow so as to not conflict with the Persean League as much (they stole my previous color so now there can only be war  :P).
- General writing polish pass. Slight lore rewrites in places to make things even more vanilla-friendly than they were before.
- Mayorate relationships revamped - the Mayorate is now hostile with most organized governments and religious factions. They generally are neutral/suspicious with pirates, independent factions, and corporations.
- Rasht now has 3 Mayorate markets and 1 Luddic Path market, with significant time spent balancing the economy so that the Mayorate/Path markets can stand on their own and be stable/self-sufficient/non-disruptive.
- Removed all custom market conditions - they didn't really add much to gameplay.
- In addition to the reinforcements and diplomacy options, Mayorate officials will provide the option to acquire Mayorate blueprints if your reputation with the faction is cooperative or higher.
- Added a portrait to the player selection screen and Mayorate inventory. Mayorate commanders and base personnel may also occasssionally use AI portraits.

Gameplay:
- Variant polish: all variants now have the ship's primary weapon as weapon group one. Many alternating weapon fire groups have been changed to linked to make it a lot less likely to accidentally fire off a shot when you don't want to. Variants now match ship OPs. All ships now have autofit variants.
- Reverted changes to Graser PD that made it super OP.
- Redid Narayana weapon mount setup, removed built-in gun (the old gun was used for prototyping and I never actually finished things before the 0.10.x releases). It's now a heavy carrier with 4 large missile racks and improved sensors, which gives it a unique niche (heavy fire support). Very weak if surrounded or enemy ships make it to melee range.
- Add normal mapping for Narayana hull (results in more accurate/improved lighting fx with GraphicsLib).
- Removed fluxtorp. It just wasn't a good weapon art-wise.
- AI Crew hullmod has been renamed to AI Command Shunts and no longer impacts crew usage. (This was more of a disadvantage than an advantage given crew reqs for exploration.) The description is a lot better too, so you can actually tell what it does now.
- Ravana now uses the interdictor ship system and loses maneuvering jets. Speed slightly buffed to compensate for loss of the jets.
- Angha bombers now launch missiles much closer to the target (600 range). This both makes Angha wings easier to intercept and defend against, as well as substantially increases the chance that their attacks connect with the target.
- Many Mayorate hulls now have blinkers.
- Significant rejig of engine mounts for Narayana, Ravana, and Cimeterre (this is an aethetic tweak only, but makes these ships engines look a lot nicer).
- Removed Phoenix II rocket launcher. Nothing uses it and it was pretty meh.
- Removed built-in "pulse gun" on the Tiamat and replaced it with a medium hybrid mount. This makes it a bit more distinct from the Lilith (only one Mayorate frigate now has a built-in spinal mount gun).
- Belial PPC spread tightened, projectile speed increased, number of projectiles decreased. Belial sfx changed to old pulse gun sfx. Increasingly lethal over
  the old version.
- Added Tracer SRM8 and Tracer SRM40, which are small and medium mount versions of the Angha's rocket launcher. The SRM8 is a carbon copy of the Angha rocket launcher with 8 shots (very deadly, low ammo capacity). The SRM40 has increased flight time and tracking ability to enable launching from side missile mounts, and can fire multiple 8-shot salvos on a long cooldown.
- Probably some other stuff I forgot about.

Bugs:
- Yes, probably. Please report them here.
[close]

Fast faction overview for new players:
  • Full roster of ships and has pretty much every feature you'd expect from a full faction mod
  • Balanced against vanilla. The goal is to have a lot less "power creep" compared to several other modded factions where things are slightly stronger than they should be and the game feels a little too easy. (Some stuff may actually be a little under-powered relative to vanilla.)
  • Vanilla-friendly writing that doesn't get shoved in your face. Chat with one of the faction's higher-ranking officials in-game if you want to know more about the faction.
  • ~20 minutes of (mostly) original music. If you've used Audio Plus, the tracks are included there.
  • Lots of slower, ponderous ships with heavy frontal firepower and armor and terrible shields. Mayorate ships are designed for keeping the pressure up and many weapons have bonuses at high flux. Fast, maneuverable enemies will eat your lunch.
  • Some fun things worth checking out: Disruptors, nukes (Tornado AM), Angha wings, and the Cimeterre's Thermal Lance

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] The Mayorate v1.0.0 (2019-12-10)
« Reply #464 on: December 10, 2019, 10:08:18 PM »

Nice work!  Great to have it back :)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33