Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Am I imagining this?  (Read 6801 times)

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Am I imagining this?
« on: November 06, 2013, 04:34:37 PM »

I started playing the last patch, and it suddenly seems like, after every fight, there's a period during which my fleet's travel speed slows to a crawl.

I'm repeatedly running into an issue where I'll narrowly win a battle, but, as I try to return to base, another, bigger, fleet that I should be able to easily outrun comes along and crushes me.  Often, I won't even have the CR to put up a fight; there's nothing to do but reload or lose all my ships.  

I thought at first it might have something to do with overloaded cargo-holds, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  Even with my cargo well within fleet capacity, travel speed after a battle seems to be drastically reduced.

I don't remember this happening in previous versions.  Am I mistaken, or is this a new thing?  I'm finding it slightly frustrating.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Am I imagining this?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:50:35 PM »

yeah, it's a bug...

fixed for next patch

if you win, you're supposed to get the slow down as your fleet reorganizes and recovers salvage from the battle. If you lose you're not, but you do right now anyways, that's the bug
mmm.... tartiflette

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »

I haven't even noticed the slow-down after a loss; it's the slow-down after a win that's killing me.  I'll defeat a pirate carrier group only to have two pirate armadas plod in from off screen at speed 3, effortlessly catch me, and annihilate my fleet, or I'll win a narrow victory against a pirate attack fleet in my Lasher and immediately be caught and destroyed by another one.  No choice but to reload and lose the victory or accept defeat and lose my ships.  I'm finding that a significant portion of the battles I win are immediately followed by inescapable pursuit, crushing defeat, reloading, and the last 15 minutes of progress being lost.

Was I correct that this is a recent addition?  I feel like it's only making the game frustrating.  And then you combine it with CR and a pursuing enemy that you might have been able to fend off will beat you simply by virtue of your CR being too low.

If this is actually intended behavior... I'm at a bit of a loss.  

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »

Hey there! I think it's meant to be a feature to force you to pick better your fights, and avoid crowded areas near stations unless you are really ready for it.

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »

Hey there! I think it's meant to be a feature to force you to pick better your fights, and avoid crowded areas near stations unless you are really ready for it.

I'm not sure it's even possible to be "really ready for it"; enough waves of inescapable enemies and you simply won't have the CR to deploy your ships.  I recently lost a fully kitted-out Paragon flying too close to a pirate station this way.  The first couple victories are easy, but you keep getting attacked, your speed stays at 1, and the AI has an inexhaustible supply of ships to throw at you until your CR is so low that you automatically lose. 

Yeah, you can avoid crowded areas and prey only on the occasional fleet that strays from the herd (watching your all-important supplies tick lower every second, unable to replenish them unless you can find and catch that rare straggler), but that's not very fun imo.  I thought this was a game about space battles; why is there a feature that forces you to avoid the places where all the enemies are?

Maybe I'm just bad at the game.  All I know is that I've really enjoyed the previous versions, and this new "feature" is making me ragequit.

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:58:53 PM »

I remembered back then the travel speed reduction was also in place, just not to the current extend.... I believe travel speed was halved for the winner, which is not as extreme as what we have right now.

Alex has spken about this:

Lore-wise, this reflects that the fleet is pretty much stopped while conducting salvage and in general recovering from the engagement. I understand what you mean when you say it's binary, but that's rather the idea. Something like a 75% reduction would effectively be the same thing, just more complex and likely to have a weird edge case or two.

Anyway, I think the best option has always been, and always will be picking your fight wisely. Space battle as focus aside, this game has pretty heavy tactical and strategic elements so not considering your approach is frankly asking for trouble.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 01:29:28 AM »

You have an option to run away from battle if your fleet isn`t too large.

If you manage to get away - you`ll get a speed boost. At least you should.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 03:06:55 AM »

It should also be noted that this is largely intended. A paragon is the kind of vessel which should always be accompanied by a screen of frigates to deal with minor threats that would otherwise waste the CR of the paragon. Flying it as your only ship is do-able, but is probably not wise.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Wraithbourne

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »

Early game I tend to switch to the other system and chase down the independent fleets there, due to them being much less numerous, and they typically have the majority of their combat ships mothballed. Provided you can fight off the couple fighter wings and odd frigate they have its very rewarding, the spoils being more than enough to buy another frigate or upgrade to a destroyer after only one battle if you play your cards right.

The sheer quantity of the pirate fleets in the Corvus system does typically result in it being a bit of a game of chance early on, can you take out that small scout fleet, and get your burn speed back up before that carrier group catches you? Hmm decisions decisions.  Once your fleet is large enough that the small to medium pirate groups run away from you it becomes much safer, particularly since a skilled player can defeat a pirate armada or carrier group with a single frigate or destroyer, thus saving the CR of the rest of the fleet.

Late game when playing vanilla I tend to just get inventive, defeat a pirate plunder fleet with an onslaught, but you're only allowed to fly backwards, that the game allows you the potential to be comically inventive later on is I feel one of its strongest supporting factors for continuous play, the game as it stands certainly has an inverse difficulty curve, early game is the hardest part with the difficulty then decreasing as you advance.  In the final game that will surely be different, but for now playing smart is the way to go early game.

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 07:46:17 PM »

Flying it as your only ship is do-able, but is probably not wise.

Oh it's doable alright, and definitely not wise XD I've "won" Vanilla flying just a Paragon, the key is getting combat stats maxed out, manueverability, speed, and weapon damage, and halfway in others to get damage control and rapid vent. Then dump everything else in science ordance points, flux cap, and gunnery. Just ignore leadership, except for one point in logistics for your crew, and three tugs to get your speed to six (with boosters).

It seems ridiculous but if you put on augmented engines and manuverability boosters the paragon can spin like a top, and with speed maxed out you can get 140 ramming speed, getting rammed by a paragon continuously does about 1000 damage per second, in addition to the 450 ordanance points of gun and flux frying your ship >:D 

The only problem is the three battleships in the system defense fleet, but once they run out of torpedos (takes awhile) they can be broken, especially since they can't raise their shields when they "charge"