Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question on total conversions - solved  (Read 1381 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Question on total conversions - solved
« on: November 01, 2013, 04:22:58 PM »

I am making a total conversion that re-balances the vanilla ships.

My plan was to implement the mod in a way that does not interfere with the generator scripts of vanilla but merely replaces the .ship .weapon .faction and .system files along with their associated csv files.

Then I would use my custom mod plugins to add the things I want to to the BaseSpawnPoint and so forth. This is essentially to make it far easier to update on future releases that add things like new sectors, spawn points etc and saves me a ton of headache!

So the question is:

For total conversions using "replace" in the mod info file,

A) Can I use that to replace entire folders? (i.e mods/modname/data/hulls) or if not..

B) Would replacing each file in those folders work if they have the same name in the mod folder? (i.e mods/modname/data/hulls/onslaught.ship)

fingers crossed for A!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:19:07 PM by Morrokain »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Question on total conversions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »

The game doesn't work in terms of folders as far as this is concerned, but individual files. B should work since you're talking about providing a new .ship file for every ship, basically. You don't even need to use the "replace" value in the .json file; that's only useful for things that would otherwise get merged (such as the various csv files). .ship, .weapon, and .system files get replaced automatically.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »

You might want to take a look at this documentation thread, as well as the descriptions of the replace and totalConversion tags here. Basically, identically-named .csv and .json files are merged with each other, while everything else will replace its counterpart.

If you're just modifying the ship/variant/weapon/system files, neither mod_info.json tag is required. Simply having a file with the same name will accomplish the same thing. :)

Keep in mind that if you are adding/removing weapon mounts you'll need to recreate all existing variants of that hull to avoid errors.

Edit: ninja'd by Alex. :)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 08:18:41 PM »

Thanks to both of you!

Didn't see that subtopic. (aka didn't research more thoroughly before posting a question  :-[) Its been a while since I've dealt with the mod format process or added anything other than my initial sectorgen. I've spent way too much time on staredit and paint.net lately hehe. Forgot a few things  :P

Lazy,

Yep should be all taken care of on that front. All the variants have been modified. I'll whip up a playable version tonight and start bug fixing and testing.

Thanks again!