Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: recently picked up 0.6.1 - Can't win a single battle  (Read 4422 times)

qwortec

• Ensign
    • View Profile
recently picked up 0.6.1 - Can't win a single battle
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:20:31 AM »

I haven't played for a few months and saw the new update so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Unfortunately I cannot win a single battle with my starting choice ships.  It used to be that I could pick a Lasher which at least offered some decent firepower/maneuverability/shields.  It was still tedious to get through the first couple of fights, but not impossible.  Now I find it frustratingly bad.  I've tried on two occasions for 30-40 mins to win a single fight, kept dying, restarting, and trying again.  I've given up now and I'm waiting for the next update. 

It's frustrating that I can't get the game started to see the changes that have been made.  I'm not the best player, but I've at least got probably 20 hours of xp under my belt from 0.5a.  I can't be the only one having a hard time with this.

Any chance of adding an option or two to make the starting battle(s) a little easier if the player chooses that?  Just giving the lasher, or maybe some starting cash to customize would be enough probably.

Giangiotto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: recently picked up 0.6.1 - Can't win a single battle
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »

I don't think the Lasher is a particularly good ship.

Anyways see if you can get a Wolf as your starter, then remove the missiles and use the points for an engine boost.
Even on autopilot it should be able to beat small enemy fleets. Just look out for fighters and Phase ships.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:49:28 AM by Giangiotto »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »

I haven't played for a few months and saw the new update so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Unfortunately I cannot win a single battle with my starting choice ships.  It used to be that I could pick a Lasher which at least offered some decent firepower/maneuverability/shields.  It was still tedious to get through the first couple of fights, but not impossible.  Now I find it frustratingly bad.  I've tried on two occasions for 30-40 mins to win a single fight, kept dying, restarting, and trying again.  I've given up now and I'm waiting for the next update. 

It's frustrating that I can't get the game started to see the changes that have been made.  I'm not the best player, but I've at least got probably 20 hours of xp under my belt from 0.5a.  I can't be the only one having a hard time with this.

Hmm. I wouldn't say the difficulty of the starting battles has changed any, btw (you can still get a Lasher etc), though stringing a few wins together is a bit more difficult.

Any chance of adding an option or two to make the starting battle(s) a little easier if the player chooses that?  Just giving the lasher, or maybe some starting cash to customize would be enough probably.

Yeah, absolutely - that's actually in the works for 0.6.2a.

Belerofonte

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 06:25:14 PM »

Until few days ago, I was very bad at this game. I couldn't win a single battle unless I cheated (money, mostly, but I even modded a new ship with uber stats once) and was very dissapointed. Ironic as it may sound, with this update I finally get the mechanics of the game, and now I can play and win without much problem. So, my advice to you, keep trying, and you'll get there!

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »

Exactly what comment above said, the game is very hard at first, but that is a very good thing, it keeps you trying and trying, and eventually  you get better at it, if you made the game easier, i can tell you it would get boring VERY fast and you would never play it again, if there is no challenge, then what is the point?

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 04:13:14 AM »

Ive found that going for option 5 and option 2 on the creation screen gives the easier start, as you can designate your own skillpoints mostly and get a Wolf.

Creation Screen:

Spoiler
Starsector Starting Skill and Ship

1 Aptitude point, 2 skill points

First Screen: 2 Aptitude, 4 Skills

1: 1Leadership (Perks 3-4)

2: 1Combat (Perks 2-4)

3: 1Technologi (Perks 6-7)

4: 1Combat (Perks 5-6)

5: Nothing (2 extra skill points, 1 extra Aptitude)

Second screen:

1: Lasher (1L S2-S4)

2: Wolf (1T S8) Extra Skill point

3: Vigilance (1C S5-S6)

4: Lasher (1C S3-S7)

5: Hound (No skills, 2 extra skills, 1 extra aptitude) Start with little money
[close]

EDIT: Though if you want the Lasher specifically you are out of luck.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:14:55 AM by Faiter119 »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 07:21:22 AM »

Quote from: Faiter119
Ive found that going for option 5 and option 2 on the creation screen gives the easier start, as you can designate your own skillpoints mostly and get a Wolf.

I do this too.  I find the Wolf is the easiest start due to long-ranged beams (they are effective against unarmored unshielded pirates) and Phase Skimmer (mitigate pilot errors).  Lasher (with short-ranged machine guns) is harder, and the rest are an exercise in frustration.

Before player picks options, he starts with 2000 credits.  Picking any option other than 5 in both screens gives 2000 more credits, each.

It would be nice if the obnoxious background options were removed (to avert "which picks what ship, again?" moments) and we pick any starter ship (and skills) as we please.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:22:44 AM by Megas »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 07:45:11 AM »

The wolf is the easiest starting ship if you are new to the game, as you progress, the others will start to shine, the hound is the most maneuverable ship in the game, if you fly that thing properly you will never get hit, ever, the lasher has the highest firepower out of all of them, you can kill any other frigate and some destroyers (buffalo II) in a couple of seconds with that thing.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »

You can kill a Buffalo 2 with literally anything.

Jazzrish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 12:12:19 AM »

You can kill a Buffalo 2 with literally anything.
AI Buffalo Mk.II = FRESH MEAT 8)
sorry for my english..