Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Can't move without dying?  (Read 2823 times)

Brids17

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Can't move without dying?
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:10:45 AM »

I checked the newbie sticky but it didn't address this issue directly. It did say to pick out easy pirate ships but I can't do that. I start in and as soon as I move from the spawn point I'm immediately swarmed by a horde of like 15 fleets. And in the mass of fleets that are faster than me, is one tiny little pirate ship I actually stand a chance again. I've tried saving every few seconds but sometimes I get into spots where I beat the ship then immediately get attacked by a huge fleet? How am I suppose to progress in this game?

Giangiotto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Can't move without dying?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »

In the last update CR was added in.
CR is a bit buggy in some regards.

After you win a battle you get stuck at speed 1 for an ingame day or so.

You need to make the pirate follow you (or push him by chasing him) out of the cluster so you can leave after winning.

Also pirates tend to swarm their spawn area at the beginning. If you give them a couple weeks they should spread out and start attacking Hegemony space.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 11:44:39 AM »

Try being a little more careful about where you go - you can look on the system map by hitting tab. Try to find pirate fleets that don't have 10 other pirate fleets around them. You could stay around the hegemony system defense fleets, at least for the first rush - it's pretty safe right next to them, and you can strike when you see an opportunity. If they wreck a bigger pirate fleet you could go after what's left and maybe find some easy pickings.

Other than that, though, the game is hard...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »

This is a problem with how fleets are generated in the current campaign: when the game starts the pirates are all spawned at once, all clustered around the pirate world.

Wait for a few in game days (holding shift doubles speed) near your starting planet, avoiding fights. A bunch of the pirates will splat against the SDF or Heg patrols, thinning their numbers. It should be much safer to hunt them then.

I hope this helps, and welcome to the forums!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »

Wait for a few in game days (holding shift doubles speed) near your starting planet, avoiding fights. A bunch of the pirates will splat against the SDF or Heg patrols, thinning their numbers. It should be much safer to hunt them then.
Yeah, I usually stay inside of the HSDF fleet by clicking in open space and then go after the remaining stragglers after the HSDF wipes the floor with them
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »

at the verry begining at the game speed is everything, so but fast ships & fighters
that will allow you run from bigger ones & intercept those who try to run from you
-the ABOMINATION - in progress