Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Make Crew Really Important  (Read 3218 times)

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Make Crew Really Important
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:59:31 AM »

This is to emphasize how backwater and underdeveloped the sector is:

Stations only ever sell green recruits.

Triple (or more, whatever works for balance) the amount of experience needed to go from green-normal-veteran-elite. Possibly also increase the increase per level to make it a really big accomplishment to get elites.

Increase bonuses from higher level crew:
Green stay the same (50% cr)
Normal give slightly higher cr than current (~65% cr)
veteran slightly higher cr and small cr regen bonus (~75% cr, +1% additional cr regen per day, factored by the percentage of the crew that are vets (60/100 means .6% additional cr regen per day))
elite higher cr and decent regen bonus (~90% cr, +2% additional cr regen per day, again factored by percentage)

This would make your crew become much more important as you leveled them up, as well as showing just how backwards the sector is compared to what it could be (if a domain faction is ever introduced or other non-decayed factions, they would have all elite crews)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Make Crew Really Important
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:32:04 AM »

There is a huge problem with crew losses. Having shield ships or ships that offer long-range damage for no incoming are vital to keeping an elite crew. Given the importance crew has now, from autofire to bonus damage.. i really wish there would be a 'scuttle' command or something to save most of your crew's life in the event of a ship destruction, instead of having it scale to hull damage.

Also, 'crew cycling' to promote veterans faster while putting your ships at risk and having a stockpile of elites for your fleet just seems wrong and bad.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:39:00 AM by Cosmitz »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »

Or better yet, a "bail out" command, or a "bail out" slider, so that crew leaves a stricken-but-not-quite-dead ship and you avoid losses. 

That said, I've never had any trouble maintaining crews that are almost entirely Elite, and the OP's suggestion would just slow it down a bit. 

If we want Elites to be rarer, it's not that hard- they need to cost the player enough money on a regular basis that keeping all-Elite crew around for big fleets isn't terribly practical.  Then it's a choice- small Elite fleet, or bigger fleets with cheaper Crew?

I don't think anything else is likely to solve the problem; if we just increase Crew death rates, then everybody will split along two lines of optimal play:

1.  All-Elite, total emphasis on kiting tactics and not taking any damage.
2.  Largely ignore Crew bonuses and stack for DPS and alpha-strike, trading Crew losses for time-efficient attrition; i.e. the "one Frigate at a time" strat.

Which of those routes people will take depends on how much time they're willing to waste to play the game optimally, basically.  But making Crew die in large numbers while making them harder to obtain will just push people towards these kinds of strategies and there will be less and less point in the middle strategies of mixed arms tactics that are the most fun to play out.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »

And without making this a suggestions thread, an option in the after-combat to sacrifice loot/cr to salvage more crew pods.

But returning to the original topic, crew is unbalanced atm in my opinion and making it even harder, and putting even more value in them would not bode well without a redesign.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »

I am starved enough for OP that I do not take the Blast Doors hullmod to reduce crew deaths for most ships.  I used to use Blast Doors on a Tempest, but that got replaced by Hardened Subsystems.

I tend to put most elite crew in storage, leaving few for fighters or other ships with small crew requirements.  I usually run ships with veteran crew.

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 03:03:09 PM »

The Officers mechanic, once it comes, should help this.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

rex

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »

The Officers mechanic, once it comes, should help this.

I concur.  With officers it will be kinda fine that the red shirts are just commodities.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 10:40:19 PM »

Nobility, IN SPACE.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 01:31:16 AM »

Nobility, IN SPACE.

Did you say Battletech?

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 08:19:40 AM »

I do agree some what, the exsact numbers and ways to improve should always be up to Alex and crew  ;)

I feel it should make crew somewhat more important, for player ships, the elite crew bonus helps alot. But for AI controlled ships, its so much about the loadout and situations that it never really matters. The only thing that elite crew helps is that they can allow the ships for more deployments in a row. Its kinda like the ships fly themselves, and your crew just repair and maintain it...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 08:32:46 AM by Linnis »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 09:42:48 AM »

The only thing that elite crew helps is that they can allow the ships for more deployments in a row.
This is the most important function of crew.  Anything that enables chain-fighting is good.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »

Well there are other effects of high CR - better autofire, dealing more damage, taking less damage... I think of those as the averaged effects of an expert and ready crew.