Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 214885 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6.2a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2014, 09:53:53 PM »

@Cosmitz: Thanks, that's good to know. But since the code will filter 'em out now, it's no longer necessary :)

@NanoMatter: The hotfix fixes this one - please update, if you haven't already.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 20, 2014, 03:42:59 AM »

Did the ship statistics table get another update? I seem to have a better overview now. I'm really not sure what the six different colors stand for, though. Would you please explain, Alex?
Maybe they are not all correct? Cargo Capacity is the only white number, Fuel Capacity the only red one, Deployment Points the only cobalt-blue one. And why does the ship statistics table list skeleton crew twice? Once as "skeleton crew 150" and once as "crew complement x/150".
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 20, 2014, 09:02:39 AM »

Did the ship statistics table get another update? I seem to have a better overview now. I'm really not sure what the six different colors stand for, though.

Yeah, fairly sure I rearranged and recolored these a bit. Glad it helped make things more comprehensible.

Would you please explain, Alex?
Maybe they are not all correct? Cargo Capacity is the only white number, Fuel Capacity the only red one, Deployment Points the only cobalt-blue one. And why does the ship statistics table list skeleton crew twice? Once as "skeleton crew 150" and once as "crew complement x/150".

The colors of those match the bar colors in the lower left widget. The CR-related entires match the color of the CR bar, the hull related match the color of the hull bar, though not exactly because the exact color didn't work well for text there. I wonder if supplies/day shouldn't be blue, though, to match the color of the logistics bar... it's really both CR and logistics related. Deployment points matches the color of the bar in the deployment dialog.

For the skeleton crew, that's the minimum crew needed, while the crew complement is the actual crew that is present on that ship - there's also a breakdown by experience right below that.

Blackoth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 20, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »

Very awesome news indeed! As with all updates to this game, I find myself racing home from work to download it and play. And with every update, it gets better and better. Starsector still has me more excited for updates then other whole games!

You are doing great work here Alex!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 20, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »

The colors of those match the bar colors in the lower left widget. The CR-related entires match the color of the CR bar, the hull related match the color of the hull bar, though not exactly because the exact color didn't work well for text there. I wonder if supplies/day shouldn't be blue, though, to match the color of the logistics bar... it's really both CR and logistics related. Deployment points matches the color of the bar in the deployment dialog.

Oh, now I see! Following that logic, I'd definitely say supplies/day should be cobalt-blue, too. Its relative influence on LR far outweighs its relative influence on supply consumption. Uh, and what is the difference between yellow and light blue numbers?

For the skeleton crew, that's the minimum crew needed, while the crew complement is the actual crew that is present on that ship - there's also a breakdown by experience right below that.

Yeah, but the crew complement also contains the minimum crew needed, since it is written as e.g. 10/15. It's parallel to the new current/minimal crew display for the whole fleet, where the meaning is even explained by a tool tip.
So you could safe that space, use it for some not redundant info (like supplies/deployment or credits/deployment).

And by the way, so far the new CR performance degradation system feels much better than what we had before. The occasional malfunction of a weapon at as high as 39% CR is the perfect warning before worse consequences kick in, the transition is much smoother.  It is actually fun feeling your ship slowly fall apart around you.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:42:40 PM by Gothars »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »

Very awesome news indeed! As with all updates to this game, I find myself racing home from work to download it and play. And with every update, it gets better and better. Starsector still has me more excited for updates then other whole games!

You are doing great work here Alex!

Thank you, I really appreciate it! Totally made my day :)

Oh, now I see! Following that logic, I'd definitely say supplies/day should be cobalt-blue, too. Its relative influence on LR far outweighs its relative influence on supply consumption.

Right, makes sense. Made that change.

Uh, and what is the difference between yellow and light blue numbers?

Which ones are light blue? Hull/armor? Those match the color of the hull bar. Yellow is more or less the default color.

Yeah, but the crew complement also contains the minimum crew needed, since it is written as e.g. 10/15. It's parallel to the new current/minimal crew display for the whole fleet, where the meaning is even explained by a tool tip.
So you could safe that space, use it for some not redundant info (like supplies/deployment or credits/deployment).

That's a good point. But on the other hand, it seems really important to call out the crew requirements, too, even if it's a bit redundant. Let me think about this a bit. Maybe something like, making "crew complement" the topmost in this set of lines, and then moving "effective crew level" below the actual complement breakdown... hmm.

It *would* be nice to have supplies/deployment somewhere, though it might be confusing unless it's framed as "supplies to recover from deployment" - otherwise it would look like a flat cost taken at the time of deployment, and that could do more harm then good to someone new. But how to phrase that so it can fit in the tooltip line?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »

Which ones are light blue? Hull/armor? Those match the color of the hull bar. Yellow is more or less the default color.

Yeah, and all the CR related stats seem also light blue for me, but let me guess: they are the color of the CR bar? It's nor really distinguishable from the hull bar color with those tiny letters. But, oh well, it's only a nitpick, really.

"effective crew level" below the actual complement breakdown... hmm.

"Effective crew level" is also kinda redundant with the big badge on the sprite  ;D
...Especially since it is misleading (as anything more than a quick indicator) now that crew influence is actually gradual.
....Woo, more space!

It *would* be nice to have supplies/deployment somewhere, though it might be confusing unless it's framed as "supplies to recover from deployment" - otherwise it would look like a flat cost taken at the time of deployment, and that could do more harm then good to someone new. But how to phrase that so it can fit in the tooltip line?

Well, how many character do fit? Like 30?
supplies to recover from deployment 35 Char
supplies/deployment recovery  - 28 Char
supplies after deployment  -  25 Char
Deployment recovery cost - 24 Char

Or you could make it clear through context:
CR per deployment     12%
Supplies to recover     36

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 20, 2014, 02:28:22 PM »

Yeah, and all the CR related stats seem also light blue for me, but let me guess: they are the color of the CR bar? It's nor really distinguishable from the hull bar color with those tiny letters.

Yeeeep :)

Oh, cool - I really like that!

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 21, 2014, 12:35:39 AM »

Have to say that last suggestion form gothars, the supplies to recover, really shows plainly the actual *cost* financially of deploying a ship. Makes the decision between three hounds or a hyperion much plainer.

Edit: Almost forgot to say, Great stuff Alex, Loving your work.  The game feels so much smoother and crisper when playing, and the new mechanics just feel "right" comapred to the initial clunky implementation of the newer mechanics. I know you caught lots of flak from the community with CR recently, but your vision is shining through here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:38:05 AM by zakastra »
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 21, 2014, 01:46:04 AM »

All I can say is that I hope that you continues to make SS more and more awesome.
*crosses fingers for a more "normal" release schedule instead of the last few releases*
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 21, 2014, 04:22:37 AM »

The update is great. You're doing a great job.

Cerberus is brutally expensive though, same thing with the Heron. I don't think the Cerb is worth more than a Enforcer you can get for a cheaper price. As for the Heron's price, I can kind of understand with the 2 flight decks and good stats. Its worth is determined primarily by the fightercraft you field, so in the end I guess the price is right.

This would be a godsend. It's very frustrating to see that your supply consumption is going -40 per day or something without knowing when it will stop. Would be great if you could see the total cost of current repairs and CR recovery in the tooltip, and the expected supply count after the repairs right next to your current anmount. Like this;

245  -43  =  197

It gives you clear information and a way to plan ahead.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 21, 2014, 07:57:49 AM »

The standard Heron variant seems to have 10 unused Ordnance Points.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 21, 2014, 08:02:26 AM »

Alex, I think Gunnyfreak's changes to the Cerebus work, perhaps with 100 less Armor, and different shuttle art.  

IDK whether you're thinking one more RC for this round or not, but if so, I'd definitely go for it- it's pretty competitive for costs and it's unique and interesting, rather than pretty underwhelming.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 21, 2014, 08:25:13 AM »

I definitely would second looking at Gunnyfreak's changes, they make for a very interesting ship with some emergent gameplay the way the best role changes as the battle goes on

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 21, 2014, 09:40:03 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

The game feels so much smoother and crisper when playing, and the new mechanics just feel "right" comapred to the initial clunky implementation of the newer mechanics. I know you caught lots of flak from the community with CR recently, but your vision is shining through here.

Glad to hear it's working better for you! I'm liking it much better too, but of course I'm biased :)

This really reminds me of the command system - that took a few iterations to get right, too. Is it perfect now? Absolutely not. It works, though, and it's much smoother than the initial version(s).

The standard Heron variant seems to have 10 unused Ordnance Points.

Oops - fixed. Must've raised the OP limit at some point and forgotten to update the variant, that's how this sort of thing tends to happen.

This would be a godsend. It's very frustrating to see that your supply consumption is going -40 per day or something without knowing when it will stop. Would be great if you could see the total cost of current repairs and CR recovery in the tooltip, and the expected supply count after the repairs right next to your current anmount. Like this;

245  -43  =  197

It gives you clear information and a way to plan ahead.

Hmm, right. Not the same as "supplies to recover", but also potentially useful. Also ties in to the "operating time" idea, which might actually provide the same information but more elegantly. Let me think about that - don't want to just throw more data on the screen.

Cerberus is brutally expensive though, same thing with the Heron. I don't think the Cerb is worth more than a Enforcer you can get for a cheaper price. As for the Heron's price, I can kind of understand with the 2 flight decks and good stats. Its worth is determined primarily by the fightercraft you field, so in the end I guess the price is right.
Alex, I think Gunnyfreak's changes to the Cerebus work, perhaps with 100 less Armor, and different shuttle art.  

IDK whether you're thinking one more RC for this round or not, but if so, I'd definitely go for it- it's pretty competitive for costs and it's unique and interesting, rather than pretty underwhelming.
I definitely would second looking at Gunnyfreak's changes, they make for a very interesting ship with some emergent gameplay the way the best role changes as the battle goes on

The Cerberus will probably see some changes, but I'd like to avoid a kneejerk reaction. One of the bigger issues is price, too. It just shouldn't be that expensive.

(Not planning on another RC, btw. That's only for critical bugs, generally crashes. Sometimes, a few miscellaneous fixes go along for the ride, but they're never the driving force.)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23