Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 214890 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6.2a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »

Don't mind Uomoz, it's just a delusional brain-tic. He tends to mistake it for intuition. It's especially noticeable when he plays Dota 2.
Spoiler
Please patchday this week
[close]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2014, 09:41:18 AM »

I'm 'fraid not. Been doing singularly unexciting things in the last couple of days - updating the game to use Java 7 and the latest version of LWJGL. It's mostly a very smooth and simple process, except when it comes to OS X, which seems to derive enjoyment from not working in extremely arcane ways. The kind where you go to search for it and the top result is your own post on another forum from a year ago. And where an update to the OS was supposed to have fixed it in the meantime but actually hasn't.

I think I'll stop before this becomes a full-fledged rant.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »

Totally understand; it's always "fun" when you hit stuff that obscure; I had a HLSL/DirectX thing like that last year (dealing with read-write access stuff that practically nobody used in the version of DirectX I was working with) that sent me into apoplectic nerd-rage for the better part of two days before I figured out how to sidestep it.

I suppose writing Apple directly about this is out of the question? 

Usually when I get to something that nasty, I play "directory tag" and figure out how to talk to the engineers.

Oh, and... I presume that with moving to Java 7, we're going to need to switch the compile settings in our IDEs again, if we're using them, or does 7 preserve backwards compatibility thoroughly enough that it's a non-issue unless we want to use 7's features?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2014, 10:18:01 AM »

I suppose writing Apple directly about this is out of the question?  

Usually when I get to something that nasty, I play "directory tag" and figure out how to talk to the engineers.

I imagine the "right" answer is to upgrade to a newer version of the OS... which is what I'm trying now, but that involves the Apple AppStore, and that thing - in my experience so far - is buggy and broken.

Oh, and... I presume that with moving to Java 7, we're going to need to switch the compile settings in our IDEs again, if we're using them, or does 7 preserve backwards compatibility thoroughly enough that it's a non-issue unless we want to use 7's features?

Stuff compiled for 6 should run just fine in 99.9% of the cases. It's the other way around that you'll have problems - if you compile for 7 and try to run it on 6, that definitely won't work. There's a distinct possibility that - unless I can wrap this business up in a few days - we'll end up with 7 for Windows/Linux and 6 for Mac, which would mean you'd still need to compile for 6.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2014, 11:21:31 AM »

Welp, at least I tried xD

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2014, 09:43:07 AM »

Is it really needed to focus on OSX while this early in development? Wouldn't it make more sense to update it later to work in OSX after proper support is given? Is it really worth it to delay development to add a 9%-pop unsupported platform?
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2014, 09:46:32 AM »

Is it really needed to focus on OSX while this early in development? Wouldn't it make more sense to update it later to work in OSX after proper support is given? Is it really worth it to delay development to add a 9%-pop unsupported platform?
As someone who writes code for a living that has to work on multiple platforms - yes, it is worth it; trying to port something later on is a far more difficult task than keeping it up to date on all platforms as you go.

I must admit I'm curious what sorts of OSX issues Alex is seeing; I probably can't help - the stuff I've worked with cross-platform didn't need to use LWJGL - but it's still a topic of some interest to me.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »

I think you might be thinking that the game doesn't currently work on OS X. It does - there are 3 versions available for download, windows, linux, and OS X, and have been since the first release. I'm not adding anything new here, just making sure that the game continues to work on OS X.

Speaking of that, finally got everything working, though 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is now officially not supported. Hopefully that won't be a huge deal since the upgrade path to OS X Mavericks is available in the majority of cases and is also free.

I must admit I'm curious what sorts of OSX issues Alex is seeing; I probably can't help - the stuff I've worked with cross-platform didn't need to use LWJGL - but it's still a topic of some interest to me.

A couple of examples - first of all Java 7 doesn't want to run on 10.6.8. At least, not when you've also got AWT involved. And then it took a while to get the app package format all sorted out - it's different now that Java is actually bundled inside it. Then there were a couple of bugs in LWJGL 2.9.1 for OS X to be worked around - which is totally understandable, because they had to rewrite a lot of it to work with Java 7, since that does a lot of things differently than Apple's Java 6 did.

The most time-consuming thing, though, was upgrading to OS X Mavericks. You have to do it through the App Store, and it has a very rough time handling a file download that size. Just getting that to work right took most of a day.

Very glad to have this pretty much wrapped up :)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »

Well, glad to hear it seems to be resolved.  Sounds like it was a pretty vexing issue.

In any case, I'm getting all hype again, so I eagerly await the next release.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2014, 09:43:04 PM »

Well, glad to hear it seems to be resolved.  Sounds like it was a pretty vexing issue.

Great you just jinxed it! Now Alex is going to run into another bug that sets it back a month. Wonderfull  :'(
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »

Well, glad to hear it seems to be resolved.  Sounds like it was a pretty vexing issue.

Great you just jinxed it! Now Alex is going to run into another bug that sets it back a month. Wonderfull  :'(

Untrue, Alex will hit many problem always when doing anything, everything will be indefinitely delayed and data will randomly vanish from his hd, followed by the mysterious gentlemen who donated millions suddently undergo instantaneous human combustion. Also, his future cat will get run over by a plane crash.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »

Not sure if troll, or really crazy...

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2014, 01:16:16 AM »

Very glad to have this pretty much wrapped up :)

That calls for a celebration!

By posting pretty pictures of the new ships!

Debirth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »

I really love this game, been playing it ever sense TB's "WTF is Starfarer". It's my go to game when my internet is down, and I've downloaded and played almost every popular mod. I've even had my friends buy it. I just wish Alex would put more time into this art piece  :( I'd be more then happy to throw my money at the screen if that was the problem.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2014, 06:14:40 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23