Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 214901 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6.2a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #150 on: December 29, 2013, 10:51:15 PM »

(The whole Barbi business: ... oh dear.)

I love the serious and potentially dark tone of this game, and I'd hate for that to change.

No need to worry on that account.

Does anyone have an idea of when this patch is going to be released?
Hi Unpocalypse, welcome to the forums!

The patch is going to be released SoonTm - ie whenever Alex feels its in a polished, ready state. The wait can be pretty long when he's implementing new things. I'm personally rooting for another bugfix release before another feature, but thats for my own selfish (computer can't handle some mods I love) reasons :P.

Hi! Just to elaborate a bit on that (which is, indeed, the general policy for release dates) - there's not too much else remaining for the 0.6.2a release, though there is some playtesting etc, and it needs a couple of visual and audio assets to complete some of the changes. I'd like to get this in your guys' hands as soon(tm) as possible, though.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2013, 11:01:42 PM »

I'll admit, conventionally attractive tutorial babe probably beats talking paperclip as far as sources of ingame advice go.

Agreed.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2013, 11:04:17 PM »

Just replace Barbi Girl with something like this, problem solved 8)

Spoiler
[close]

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2013, 11:10:36 PM »

Just replace Barbi Girl with something like this, problem solved 8)

Spoiler
[close]

Hm...gotta say the anorexic, anemic female in the blue suit looks like she has lung cancer from sucking on that cigarette. The whole red demonic glow as well, looks like she'd rather toss you out the airlock and takeover command of your fleet rather than show you the ropes.  ;D

I'd like to get this in your guys' hands as soon(tm) as possible, though.

Just chill dude, sit back on a warm beach somewhere with a Corona. No rush.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2013, 11:12:43 PM »

Hehehe, you are dark.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »

It is so close... I can almost taste the metal of starship hulls...

Tastes like raspberries and burnt steak

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2013, 04:09:07 AM »

I think it's safe to say we're all very excited for the upcoming patch. The recently-introduced supply / logistics / CR system is well thought-out and highly engaging, but definitely in need of continued adjustment and balancing. Based on the changelog, it seems 0.6.2 will go a long way towards refining these mechanics and improving the overall player experience. It's great to see we'll be getting some new ships, especially one which fills the very visible medium carrier void between the Gemini and the Astral. and the Easy mode should benefit both new players and veterans who want to 'fast forward' through the early game (which can be a bit grindy).

So, with this out of the way, I'm wondering what the next steps are. I assume balance changes, feature refinements and mechanical tweaks will be largely continuous throughout the remainder of development as you continue to receive feedback. Obviously, there's no such thing as too many ship designs (you've done a great job in making every class feel unique so they don't really run together in my mind), but I think the current selection is varied, well-balanced and comprehensive enough to be sufficient for development and testing of the campaign.*

With that in mind, I'm curious as to where you are in the process of fleshing-out the campaign, namely with respect to resources, trade, territory / planet control and construction. Less about where these mechanics are in development (focus has understandably been elsewhere) but I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on approach to this next phase of the process. While I'm sure the NPC factions will undergo significant additions and expansion before release, do you feel the current fleets are in a state such that meaningful implementation of these features can proceed? Are you considering a "shell" approach where the main mechanics are built out in "draft" form with ongoing refinement and content addition, or is the plan to focus on one feature at a time?

*But please keep giving us new toys!! :)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2013, 07:47:36 AM »

Lol Cycerin. That is classic.

@Alex: I'm starting to salivate after reading your 12-28 update, man. Good work all 'round.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »

normal mode is hard for a new player, as many have already discovered, reducing credits and giving less ships and stuff won't cut it as hard mode, for that i would demand a perfect play AI, at the very least.

I don't want to nitpick, but... oh, who am I kidding, I totally want to nitpick. The concept of "perfect play" doesn't apply to a game like Starsector; it applies to games like chess that are deterministic. Even if Starsector was fully deterministic (i.e. no randomness in places like recoil etc), it's still way too involved for perfect play to be achievable in practice. It'd be kind of hard to even define what that means.

@Alex: I'm starting to salivate after reading your 12-28 update, man. Good work all 'round.

Thank you sir :)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »

It means secretly give the AI a buff across all major stats and call it "hard mode"  ;D
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2013, 08:59:56 PM »

I've been most often disappointed by allied fleet AI, and there are several forum threads on it. I guess I would rather see development of Industry/Outposts first.

Alex what are the key features you'd like to see completed and in the hands of players by the end of the new year? Promise I won't hold you to anything.

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »

Actually, Debido has an interesting point.  We've focused on the combat AI so much that we've sort of left the campaign movement AI untouched. AI ships just sort of drift around without applying the same techniques of boxing and interception that player fleets do.  I'd be scared to death of trying to pick off stragglers if suddenly enemy fleets could use small patrols as decoys to lure my faster ship into an unavoidable drift into a larger enemy fleet (although with the more discrete burn-level mechanic this occurs less often).

I think Mount and Blade really suffered here, too; it was either rushing to the attack or fleeing with abject cowardice -- "Run away, run away! [banging coconuts]" -- with no middle ground of strategic positioning.

Probably more of a subject for a suggestions thread than a patch-notes thread, though.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2014, 07:04:25 AM »

I say that today or tomorrow is update day.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »

Any reason or just a hunch?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23