Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Combat Readiness Update  (Read 33681 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Combat Readiness Update
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »

Blog post here.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Readiness Update
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »

Nice. It all sounds good to me. Especially ditching complicated and not entirely necessary things.

Great work. :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »

YESYESYESYESYES!!! DEPLOYING RUST BUCKETS AT 1CR FTW!!!!  ;D

is there a reason we can't deploy at 0CR though? Or does 0CR basically mean mothballed?

The repair thing seemed a bit confusing... So we feed our crew, upkeep and recover CR for our ships, then dump the rest of our LR to ship repair? Is that it?

if so, what does personnel have to do with it?
but that would require lots of personnel

Also does that mean now nothing get repaired AT ALL until the prioritized ships are full?
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »

Nice. It all sounds good to me. Especially ditching complicated and not entirely necessary things.

Yeah, I like doing that. Feels good. The code is *so* much cleaner, too. (Since no-one actually cares about the code being clean for the sake of it being clean - in practical terms, this means it's less likely to have bugs/the bugs would be easier to fix.)

is there a reason we can't deploy at 0CR though? Or does 0CR basically mean mothballed?

Yeah. Either "mothballed" or "the reactor would definitely explode if you tried to power up combat systems".

The repair thing seemed a bit confusing... So we feed our crew, upkeep and recover CR for our ships, then dump the rest of our LR to ship repair? Is that it?

Right. Which is already how it works.

if so, what does personnel have to do with it?
but that would require lots of personnel

You have to have a certain amount of personnel to use your full logistics capacity. For example, if your logistics capacity is 50, you need to have 50 crew to use all of it. (Again, this is how it already works.)

Also does that mean now nothing get repaired AT ALL until the prioritized ships are full?

Yep.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »

Sounds very good to me, too :)  I think fielding and fighting against "rust buckets" is gonna be a lot of fun!

Can the internal explosions actually disable a ship or is there a lower HP limit?

You have to have a certain amount of personnel to use your full logistics capacity. For example, if your logistics capacity is 50, you need to have 50 crew to use all of it. (Again, this is how it already works.)

Uh, what was the point of that again? Only effect I felt from it so far is that I was puzzled for a moment when I changed from a big fleet back to a frigate, because my LC dropped.

(You wrote "destroyed" instead of "destroyer" in the second-to-last paragraph.)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »

Can the internal explosions actually disable a ship or is there a lower HP limit?

They could if the ship's hull is low enough. So, yeah, it's entirely possible to deploy a ship only to have it blow up a few seconds later. Or to have a ship blow up after it suffers a critical malfunction mid-combat.

Uh, what was the point of that again? Only effect I felt from it so far is that I was puzzled for a moment when I changed from a big fleet back to a frigate, because my LC dropped.

Just a slight nod to "realism"; needing someone to actually sling those supplies around. Not something that's supposed to come into play all that often.

(You wrote "destroyed" instead of "destroyer" in the second-to-last paragraph.)

Thanks, fixed :)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »

Fix. Boarding.
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »

ohh... so that's why... and the only thing that changed is that hull% per supply is now the same as CR% per supply?
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 03:34:26 PM »

ohh... so that's why... and the only thing that changed is that hull% per supply is now the same as CR% per supply?

Erm. No! Basically, a hull costs 100 supplies to fully repair. Say you're at 25/50 logistics and you have 15 emergency repairs. That's 25 + 15 = 40 supplies per day that can be devoted to repairs. If that hull is the only thing being repaired, it'll take 2.5 days.

The "base repair rate" stat is now "CR recovery rate". It used to govern both CR recovery and repairs, and now governs just the former.

Fix. Boarding.

Given the contents of this thread, I respectfully suggest you take a step back and calm down before posting again.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 03:34:39 PM »

e/Meep, too slow G.

Nah, as I understand it the only change is that there's no maximum amount of supplies that can be used daily to repair a ship. (The maximum is determined by the fleet, not the ship.)

Hull% per supply should be determined by "supplies needed to fully repair", as before.

(BTW, another option for repair rigs would be to make repairs cheaper, that would certainly make them attractive...)

They could if the ship's hull is low enough. So, yeah, it's entirely possible to deploy a ship only to have it blow up a few seconds later. Or to have a ship blow up after it suffers a critical malfunction mid-combat.

Harsh, I like it :)

Just a slight nod to "realism"; needing someone to actually sling those supplies around. Not something that's supposed to come into play all that often.

(I'd say that's not worth the confusion then, better cut it. Or make it affect current LC, not max LC.)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:43:12 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 03:37:37 PM »

ah i c

ty for u guys' patience... I never really took the time to understand the details of logistics :P
mmm.... tartiflette

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 03:43:18 PM »

Alex you better add some klaxons for when sh*t hits the fan like this. ;D

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »

Good changes all of them, Alex. Can't wait to mess around with it.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »

Suggestion:  give players some kind of warning text if they're going to deploy ships whose CR is low enough to cause problems.

This is the kind of thing that newbies will cry about, guaranteed :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »

Oh noes! moar things i have to change. aww man i JUST completed the stuff from 2 patches ago! :O
Pages: [1] 2 3 4