Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Odd launcher problem.  (Read 2142 times)

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
Odd launcher problem.
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:01:16 AM »

When I click on mods or the resolution options, the menu appears to tear and superimpose onto the upper left of the launcher. I'm not too sure what could cause this, unless 0.6a left behind something after I uninstalled it to cleanly install 0.6.1a. :s

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Odd launcher problem.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 05:35:36 AM »

I've had something similar happen, scrolling up and down in the mods menu the text would not move and copy paste itself over and over until it all was just a huge blur of text.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »

Does this happen every time? Would you mind trying a clean reinstall? I mean, like, really clean - manually deleting the Starsector folder from your Program Files x86/Fractal Softworks and then reinstalling. And re-downloading the 0.6.1a version, just to be 100% sure.

@ValkyriaL: Did you manage to resolve it somehow?

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »

It resolved itself, only happened once or twice, the magic of the SS launcher =D

Id love a better launcher tho, with newsletters and updates on the actual launcher in a big window, and the download and updates included in the launcher as well in the form of 2 big blue buttons. but that's wishful thinking. =D

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:16:44 AM »

Problem still persists, even after a completely clean reinstall both on the main launcher menu and the mods menu.

I did notice that the fresh copy remembered my key, my mod selections and my display/sound settings. Are these stored in a reg entry that isn't removed when uninstalling, and if so would that possibly be the key to this issue?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 09:06:40 AM »

Yeah, all the stuff under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\fs\starfarer

I'd be shocked if that had anything to do with this issue, though, but can't hurt to try cleaning that up. Well, it could hurt if you accidentally delete something else from the registry, so please do be very careful :)

The only thing that comes to mind is if you've possibly installed something/made some changes to your system between 0.6a and 0.6.1a. Hmm. If you updated your system's version of Java, it may be worth a shot replacing contents of the jre folder under
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector

With the contents of the
C:\Program Files\Java\jreX (where 'X' is a number)
Or wherever it is that you've installed Java.

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »

Yeah, taking a look at the entry I can't imagine it would have anything to do with the issue. I copied over my x64 JRE, problem still persisted (although this might allow me to allocate more than 512-1024MB of memory without the client refusing to start. :P).

Nothing really comes to mind of what could be causing this. :/ If I had a VM installed I'd test it on that to see how it does on an entirely fresh machine, but I don't.