Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A way to maintain mobility after winning a fight  (Read 2349 times)

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile
A way to maintain mobility after winning a fight
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:49:39 AM »

Right now, after winning a fight, the fleet will be stuck at 1 maximum burn for about 1 in-game day or such. This make me hesitate in engaging massed, tightly grouped hostile fleet.

I've been thinking, since it's said that it represent fleet members reorganizing, picking up loots etc. Isn't it reasonable to have this period shorten if those are done already?

My suggestion is that after winning a fight, if a fleet opt to stand down and then forfeit all loot, the fleet would have its maximum burn penalty removed or have the time shortened.

I think the forfeiting can be done as a separate dialog option so there's no "opening the box to see what's inside before deciding" since we're not picking through the loots at all.

This option may not be useful for the time being but maybe in the future, when we're possibly not simply fighting for loots, this would come up as an interesting choice.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: A way to maintain mobility after winning a fight
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »

I like this - it has a very 'raider' feel where all you care about is the destruction of enemy forces.

rex

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:55:54 PM »

Yes please.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »

I like this - it has a very 'raider' feel where all you care about is the destruction of enemy forces.

From where I'm from, raider carries a heavy looting connotation with its meaning. Kinda like Welsh raiders, viking raiders, or cossack raiders where taking stuff back home with you for profit is why they are named raiders in the first place.

Perhaps a better word for it would be commando, or storm troopers (ships)?
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:26:32 PM »

From where I'm from, raider carries a heavy looting connotation with its meaning. Kinda like Welsh raiders, viking raiders, or cossack raiders where taking stuff back home with you for profit is why they are named raiders in the first place.

Hrrm, you're right! Skirmishers, but that has the connotation of hit and run against larger forces - not winning, just doing disproportional damage. Maybe Blitz?

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »

Hrrm, you're right! Skirmishers, but that has the connotation of hit and run against larger forces - not winning, just doing disproportional damage. Maybe Blitz?

Given that they're making an opportunistic strike against one part of a larger overall hostile presence and then running for the metaphorical hills before they can suffer retaliation from forces that outmatch them I think that's pretty much the definition of what this would be.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 05:07:54 AM »

One simple thing would be to at least reduce the value or duration of the burn penalty if we choose 'Do nothing' rather than 'Harry'. Currently there's no reason *not* to harry a retreating fleet. If we had a choice between harrying, leaving our fleet in disarray and imposing a 1-day 1-burn rate as we got it back in order, or doing nothing and only getting a 1/2-day penalty...
Reducing the penalty if we chose not to salvage would also be useful, particularly in the full campaign when you might want to perform hit and runs in dangerous territory for some external reward- rather than just for what you can loot.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:46:29 AM »

One simple thing would be to at least reduce the value or duration of the burn penalty if we choose 'Do nothing' rather than 'Harry'. Currently there's no reason *not* to harry a retreating fleet. If we had a choice between harrying, leaving our fleet in disarray and imposing a 1-day 1-burn rate as we got it back in order, or doing nothing and only getting a 1/2-day penalty...
Reducing the penalty if we chose not to salvage would also be useful, particularly in the full campaign when you might want to perform hit and runs in dangerous territory for some external reward- rather than just for what you can loot.

I'm 80% sure Do nothing is supposed to not give you a burn penalty and has been fixed for .6.2a