Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Vote for or against it (Note this wont change anything, im just curious how many likes it).

I like it.
- 71 (73.2%)
I don't hate or like it.
- 18 (18.6%)
I hate it.
- 8 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: October 19, 2013, 05:55:04 AM

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Combat readyness poll.  (Read 9377 times)

IndirectCell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Combat readyness poll.
« on: October 14, 2013, 05:55:05 AM »

Im realy curious about this one, and my reson for hateing it is that it doesnt feel right and makes the game turn og for micromanagement and tediousness by forceing you to og back after each fight and repair and what not, it also makes early game a nightmare.. or at least in my opinion..

Im interested in how everyone else sees it.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: Combat readyness poll.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:37:15 AM »

There is no "love it" option! I call this a fluff!

EDIT: (the opposite of like is not hate, is dislike!)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:52:29 AM »

The current implementation of CR is a fun-killer.  Many ships (fighters and most high-tech) must rest after a few fights (unless you are near a friendly station - not a given), it makes ships consume more supplies than before, and supplies are hideously expensive.  CR would be more bearable if deployment costs were less (why isn't Combat bonus CR reduction applied to all ships?) and ships did not eat so many supplies.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »

No particular feeling about it as a whole because it's suppose to a system that ties various elements of the game together, half or more (all the non-combat stuff) of which are missing.

Modest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »

This voting is not correct - with only three possible answers it is not reliable. I can now be positive about it, negative or neutral. In current model I will vote for "I like it". But there should be at least 5 voting possibilities - Hate, dislike, neutral, like, love. In such system I would also vote "I like it", but the essence of my vote would change greatly, from extreme support, itno being just possitive. If Your aim was to have glance who is possitive and who is negative about it, You should use words like "I am possitive", "I am neutral" and "I am negative" or "I like", "I dislike" and "I am neutral", but not extremes like "I hate" when on opposite site we have just "I like". Uomoz is absolutly right in what He said in my personal opinion.

EDIT: I would like to add that my post is not aimed to offend somebody, or to make any kind of personal attack on somebody who simply have diffrent opinon than I - I honor everybody opinions as everybody has right to have one, and is fully entitled to say it. If by any chances I did that - I am sorry. I just would like to be able to show not total support towards CR system, as despite the fact that I like it - I see plenty room for improvements.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:45:24 AM by Modest »

Giangiotto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »

I like the idea but even at 0% you should be able to defend yourself. With heavy penalties and malfunctions sure and you should not be able to attack either but being completely defenseless is what kills it for me.

Also the 1-Speed bug makes it worse.

EDIT- Actually let me clarify my post a bit.
At 0% you should not be able to initiate attacks and still end up in the escape scenario but imho your guns should work, if with a high malfunction state.
By all means force ships at 0% to move in a straight line but let us use shields and guns.
A dreadnought bristling with guns should still take at least some effort to take out (it will usually be far too slow to escape cleanly anyways)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:08:38 AM by Giangiotto »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »

One of my main gripes about this is the fact that the the -30% deploy cost skill and the +20 CR max only apply to your flagship. I realize that this is most likely due to the fact that we are going to get officers someday and that these guys will possibly fill in these roles but could we have some skill that would apply these to the rest of the fleet? Or could someone tell me how to make it fleetwide?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Stingray

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 10:21:32 AM »

I understand the intent of the CR mechanism but I find the current way it affects my gameplay to be a nuisance. When im battling fleets I don't like having to constantly fly back to a base or to wait around for my ships to be ready to fight again.

There's plenty of ways the game flow could be tweaked. e.g. a repair ship that allows us to repair in space (at additional cost).

Just my 2 pence

Giangiotto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »

You can already get repair ships to repair quickly, the issue isn't with repairs but Combat readiness.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »

You can already get repair ships to repair quickly, the issue isn't with repairs but Combat readiness.
And that there is no way to influence CR regen rate...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 12:37:01 PM »

And that there is no way to influence CR regen rate...
Actually, the Automated Repair Unit hullmod (or whatever it is called) increases CR recovery outside of combat by 50%, if the info display is correct.  Unlocking the hullmod requires Damage Control (Combat) skill at level 5.

Stingray

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »

Actually, the Automated Repair Unit hullmod (or whatever it is called) increases CR recovery outside of combat by 50%, if the info display is correct.  Unlocking the hullmod requires Damage Control (Combat) skill at level 5.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that one - I'll have a play, thanks.

For my part, I should add, I like the 6.1 patch and the direction Starsector is going over all (if you're reading Alex! :)). It's just CR thats bothering me at the moment. Maybe I just haven't figured out yet how to manage it adequately...

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »

I like all of the new logistics system, but I can understand why many people dislike it, particularly CR.  I believe it will make a lot more sense once more campaign-level features are implemented.  Probably the most important:

- Non-combat focused activities
    - Fleet support (supply, reinforcement, et cetera) systems
    - Officers (who could invest in Combat to combat Combat Readiness
    - Leadership skills to affect CR

This game was always intended to be far more expansive than the core combat everyone fell in love with.  This update, with logistics, hyperspace, and new star systems was the first real step towards that, and is comparable to an extensive transit system built in an area that, though currently sparsely populated, will grow rapidly.  There are going to be many additions to the campaign layer, and each one will slot nicely into this newly erected framework.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »

Guys you realize that your discussing about something that isn't finish yet, like reading book that's half way written or watching picture that is not yet completed. As far i can see Alex is doing great job to make this game, well, great. There is like kazilion topic and posts where people saying that's this mechanic isn't good, that its ruining their game, that game isn't fun any more etc. You know, a lil bit of faith in Alex and his dream aint gonna hurt anybody.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:23:16 PM by arcibalde »
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 02:19:37 PM »

Once you learn to manage it, I find it becomes quite easy to do. It's not like the micromanagement in games like GalCiv or Master of Orion. I just find that perhaps the hate for this mechanics is due to there being no other similar mechanic in other games that people can use to understand how use this. That being said, I think there should be more info on what exactly each of the values at the bottom left mean given the aforementioned lack of anything that's similar to this system.

Why this mechanic is in place and why it is justified in the game world also needs to be more fleshed out as well. It's quite common it seems to me that most people don't know why their ships needs to recover CR after a big fight, and thus sees this mechanic as something artificial rather than the necessary mechanics like taking damage when shot or the need for supplies to do repairs.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:21:48 PM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"
Pages: [1] 2