Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Hullmods, Missiles and Character Progression  (Read 2047 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Hullmods, Missiles and Character Progression
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:39:26 AM »

So while fantasizing and planning mod material on future non-combat features of starsector, I was struck with an idea.

To keep it short and sweet: make hullmods moddable to cost credits (varying hullmod to hullmod) each time they are fitted. Perhaps even possibly make missiles cost credits to resupply (in a mod)

Now then, here is the long and detailed why I feel this is important. Spoilers for those who don't care hehe :D

Spoiler
In another post, I talked about my experience with 0.6a and why I felt it was better than its predecessors. To summarize, it added depth because it added meaningful player choices and considerations with the introduction of CR.

But another important aspect of games like starsector for me is character progression. To a certain extent we already have that with player skills, but for me I'm talking specifically about ship improvements. Eventually we are sure to see other ways of making credits outside of combat. But what I am not seeing right now are many ways to improve your current ship. That's not to say there aren't plenty of play style customization options (torpedoes vs LR missles for instance), and some weapons are arguably better in their role than others and could technically be called an upgrade, but there just is not much to actually spend your credits on other than more ships or supplies.

So, in the interests of those who prefer smaller fleets that prioritize powerful flagships, more ways are needed to improve said flagship other than skills in Combat. In other words, definitive "gear" progression similar to RPGs of one ship based on more weapon quality tiers (already possible through modding) and other ways to spend money improving said ship.

That is why having hullmods cost credits to fit (so you "buy" hullmods at a station after they become unlocked through skills) as well as OP would add meaningful gameplay progression. It gives the player something to work towards and gives more choices on what to spend their money on to directly improve their ship's capabilities.

Having missiles cost credits to replace also indirectly improves a ship, but I am less enamored of this one since it is a little too logistic-y and we already have a pretty decent logistics system.

Either way, it also helps facilitate a reason to travel and explore within the game universe. Different stations offer different quality weapons, missile types and hullmod options. Higher tier is more expensive, less accessible or hidden. This also allows for faction specific improvements to increase variety and flavor.

For those who would rather rely on "more is better" and focus on larger fleet logistics and management, it does not limit much. Many ships with weaker weapons or no hull mods would perform roughly the same cost for cost as a couple ships with a lot of money invested into their improvement. In terms of loss, larger fleet's losses are easier to replace but happen more frequently while an elite ship's loss is a severe blow to the player's wallet but less likely to happen due to overall ship quality.

The point is that it not only creates variety and a more concise play style option, it gives the player more to do, more to gain, and more to enjoy.  ;D
[close]

Thoughts?

Magician

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hullmods, Missiles and Character Progression
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 01:35:40 AM »

Almost left a comment missing the point of your post. I appologize.

That may be a good feature for mods. While in vanilla like mods it probably will not be a good idea for the most part, I can imagine interesting things you can create in mods with such features.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 01:47:25 AM »

Don't missiles already cost credits to replace :o?
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 05:11:41 AM »

Don't missiles already cost credits to replace :o?
No but a simple change to the settings json can make that happen
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 06:28:35 AM »

If I spend valuable skill points for a hullmod, I better have free access to it.  As for missiles, I barely use them as is (and usually the one-shots only after they become free from Optimized Assembly).  If missiles need more money beyond CR deployment costs to reload them, I would never use missiles.

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 07:04:18 AM »

Many mods, particularly the theocracy, have downright terrifying missile platforms...

1 of those capital ships launch over 70 lrm per voley, I wouldn't have problems with missiles/ammo being its own supply unit(excuse to make them even more nasty)
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:04:19 PM »

Yes to be clear I am not asking for this in Vanilla. That would probably not be a good idea unless a major balance sweep was done with hullmods to make them more potent. I just want it to be moddable.

The reasoning was just why modders like myself would find it a very useful addition. We could turn hullmods into full on upgrades if we wanted to.