Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fleet movement speed, crew levels  (Read 6128 times)

Inconspicuous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Fleet movement speed, crew levels
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »

So I've been playing 0.5a a bit, and having a blast. Does anybody know how fleet travel speed is calculated? It definitely seems to go down as you add ships, even if they're faster than the rest of your fleet. The only reason I noticed this is that I ended up capturing a bunch of frigates, and now I'm so slow that the only enemies I can engage are much stronger than me. Time to sell those hounds I guess :)

Also, does crew level (green, normal, vet, elite) affect anything other than movement speed?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet movement speed, crew levels
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:09:10 PM »

Hi! Glad you're enjoying it so far.

Fleet speed is based on the slowest ship in the fleet, with a penalty based on fleet size.

Crew affects speed/maneuverability, damage taken (due to better-maintained ship, more efficient damage control teams, etc), and how good the aim of autofiring turrets is.

Projekt2501

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 03:44:43 AM »

Hi Alex,

great game, really I mean it! Bought it quite a long time ago and you amaze me with every new release.

As the initial pointed out my problem is quite identical.

Even though I sold all but my fastest 3 frigates (Wolf class) that are tuned with improved engine (max travel speed is 240) (don't know the exact term used in the game) I am stuck between two enemy fleet sizes. On the one hand the smaller fleets outrun my fleet (tendious to catch them) and the larger fleets that will crush my fleet.
When I say outrun I mean easily outrun me. Especially "Independent Mercenary" fleets run like there is no tomorrow.

I should note that my crew is 100% Elite / Veteran.

Any tips how to solve the situation?

Best regards,
Projekt2501
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:03:09 AM by Projekt2501 »

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 04:10:15 AM »

Fighter wings are the key to success in this game, Youll be slow but you can take on much larger forces, grab the cruiser light carrier and 2 flights of wasps and the multi purpose heavy fighters finally add on some heavy bombers. Against low mid ( 1 layers of triangles) I found I could rip upwards of 3 frigates and 2 cruisers just with my 2 frigates, the carrier and my large fighter wing. Even now that Im running two cruisers and 1 destroyer my fighterwings really make the fights.

Think of them as free renewable resources that can wipe out frigates and below (fighters and interceptors) and wittle down every else above over time (bombers) torpedo bombers are anouther option but I find they are to easily destroyed by enemy fighters, that why I run the heavy multipurpose.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 04:19:21 AM »

If you're going to use the wasps, remember to mod in crews for them so they repair correctly on the strategic map.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »

I really think that fleets need to move faster. Right now, I am stuck in terms of speed. I don't want a million ships because losses cost a ton, and larger ships are MUCH too slow in terms of their travel speed. I think I have reached an optimal point with a Hyperion, a Tempest, and a Thunder fighter wing. I only have a speed of 172, and the Tempest and Hyperion both have augmented engines. While each ship has a travel speed of over 200, I can catch only the moderately fast pirate groups. Obviously, it would be the death of me to attack massive groups (although that video on the untouchable Tempest does make me wonder...), and smaller groups are barely worth it. Plus, if I capture a ship, it drags my speed down to around 130 (depending on the ship), and so I have to be extremely careful getting it back to the outpost to sell it.

I am assuming that the "Outposts" (based on the similarly-named unused tab in the HUD) will allow us to drop off ships and supplies, which will help, but I would still love to be able to go faster, or be able to get some sort of "fleet upgrade" that does things like increase travel speed or maneuverability, crew training speed, likelihood of capturing ships, hanger space, and the like. I am thinking it could modify some kind of command ship, but I am straying into another thread here...

TL;DR: Even using only the two fastest ships (with upgraded speed) and the fastest fighter wing (I think), the fleet is way too slow, and you can't add any other ships without tanking your fleet speed.

Even more TL;DR: Fleet size reduces speed by too much!
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »

Changed in the next version - lower of two values, minimum ship speed OR average speed with a size-based penalty. Significantly higher speeds for heavier fleets - adding a Condor to your fleet no longer slows it to a crawl.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 10:03:37 AM »

Whoo! That will help me a lot. I love me some condor.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:13:04 AM »

Changed in the next version - lower of two values, minimum ship speed OR average speed with a size-based penalty. Significantly higher speeds for heavier fleets - adding a Condor to your fleet no longer slows it to a crawl.

Thank you so much, was comeing to the forums to complain about fleet speed. Made a fleet of the fastest ships i could but could not catch anything... add a carrier to your fleet and you might as well quit the game only way you are going to get a fight is againts something way bigger then you or a lucky path crosing.

This is exactly what i wanted to hear.

Acolnahuacatl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »

The first time I played the campaign, I built up a fleet, but ended up selling it and sticking with *just one* ship right the way through to getting a Paragon. Since you're selling any ships you capture, you can afford best-in-class ships, and thus can pick on essentially weaker fleets (i.e., an Aurora versus a Buffalo mkII and a couple of frigates) simply from the way the speed penalty works. Plus, whilst the AI is pretty good in this game, it still loses ships vastly more often than I do; which makes this approach more profitable than keeping a fleet and worrying about losses. This also, of course, means that you're losing far fewer crewmembers, so you actually get a significant number of Elite pilots.

Incidentally, since this is my first post - this game is absolutely brilliant; probably my absolute favourite, even in its Alpha state, and the first thing to tear me away from playing Skyrim. If Alex happens to read this: you're doing a ridiculously good job. Can't wait to see what it'll be like nearer release!

EDIT: Just to clarify, playing with full damage to playership.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:26:10 AM by Acolnahuacatl »

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »

The first time I played the campaign, I built up a fleet, but ended up selling it and sticking with *just one* ship right the way through to getting a Paragon. Since you're selling any ships you capture, you can afford best-in-class ships, and thus can pick on essentially weaker fleets (i.e., an Aurora versus a Buffalo mkII and a couple of frigates) simply from the way the speed penalty works. Plus, whilst the AI is pretty good in this game, it still loses ships vastly more often than I do; which makes this approach more profitable than keeping a fleet and worrying about losses. This also, of course, means that you're losing far fewer crewmembers, so you actually get a significant number of Elite pilots.

Incidentally, since this is my first post - this game is absolutely brilliant; probably my absolute favourite, even in its Alpha state, and the first thing to tear me away from playing Skyrim. If Alex happens to read this: you're doing a ridiculously good job. Can't wait to see what it'll be like nearer release!

Hmm this might be worth a try... right now i have a fleet with a carrier in it and its so slow i really have to get lucky to catch anything to fight.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 10:26:07 AM »

I did the just one route too. Wolf is fun, then medusa. Haven't tried anything bigger yet. Just having too much fun playing with medusa variants.  :)

Right now I just have 3 pd lasers and 4 am blasters, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »

I did the just one route too. Wolf is fun, then medusa. Haven't tried anything bigger yet. Just having too much fun playing with medusa variants.  :)

Right now I just have 3 pd lasers and 4 am blasters, haha.

Nice, I currently have a fleet of just 6 Medusa's, lovin it.   ;D

I really like using Heavy Blasters in the 2 Medium Energy Turrets, along with maybe some Tactical lasers, and burst PD in the Small Energy Turrets, fun times.   :D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »

I will have to try that. My newest favorite is 3 pd lasers and 6 amblasters, haha. It's a beast.
- Voltaire

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 11:38:47 AM »

I love the Medusa too. I'm going with 5 PD lasers, two graviton beams, and a bomb bay I looted. Have augmented engines, hardened shields, and advanced optics. This ship is extremely durable. All the PD lasers take missiles out with ease, and the graviton beams combine with the PD lasers to shred enemy fighters. It takes time to kill the bigger ships, but thats where the bomb bay comes in - drop their shields with all the beams and ram them while releasing bombs and they're dead.

It's the only single Medusa build I've been able to easily take out pirate carrier groups solo with. Putting on AM blasters makes it easier to take out bigger ships, but the grav beams are extremely handy for taking out fighter and bomber wings before they can return to their carriers. It can take a serious beating before needing to vent flux too, during the carrier group fights I often have two Piranha wings and two Broadsword wings pelting me with everything they've got and between the PD lasers taking down the incoming missiles and bombs and the hardened shields I can just sit there and take it while the grav beams tear them apart. Then I can move in after the carriers, overload their shields, and take them out with bombs.
Pages: [1] 2