Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: AI Questions/Suggestions  (Read 1414 times)

Phoenixheart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
AI Questions/Suggestions
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:33:35 AM »

The question part is, is the AI a placeholder that will be completely reworked before release, rendering any criticisms of the current AI moot?

In any case, I just had an incident with the AI controlling one of my friendly ships that was so frustrating to watch that I alt-tabbed mid game to make this post...

the scenario was my Eagle cruiser was taking heavy fire so I ordered him to retreat. Instead of reverse thrusting away, he turned and exposed the only open section of his shield to the heaviest incoming fire, which almost immediately disabled his engines, where he sat until he died while I watched helplessly.

It's a fairly understandable thing, don't get me wrong - the ally AI probably isn't programmed to be aware of where it's shield weak spots are on ships with static shields - but it does seem like something that could be fixed. For ships that have fixed shields, have the AI keep the front of the ship towards the greatest threat/largest ship, since movement isn't entirely based on which direction the ship is pointing.

Also, the AI in general seems rather... boneheaded. More than once my cruiser has flown directly into the middle of a group of ships that not only outnumber him but ALSO outsize him. It really seems like the enemy AI is smarter than the ally AI - the enemy frequently flanks and surrounds to get better firing angles, while my own ships seem to just rush in head first. I haven't extensively tested this, however, so I could just be seeing a few bad cases in an otherwise acceptable system.