Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fighter Wing Supply Costs  (Read 1527 times)

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Fighter Wing Supply Costs
« on: October 01, 2013, 12:49:36 PM »

So after getting to the "endgame" a couple of times in 0.6a, I gotta say while most of the new CR/Supply/Carrier mechanics are great there's something off about fighter logistics and supply costs.

First of all one of the big problems is that fighters cost a lot of supplies - and it's based purely on wing-size which is weird as hell. Fighter types that are specifically intended to be fodder that swarms (the 6-per-wing Wasps, the 4-per-wing Mining Pods, the 4-per-wing-Talons) are more expensive, by a large margin, than elite super-high-tech fighters (2-per-wing Xyphos, 2-per-wing Tridents, etc.).

Then there's the fact that fighters tend to lose a lot more CR per deployment than other ships when they take casualties (which is the whole point of the new fighter mechanics! they are supposed to take casualties!) which drives the maintenance costs up even more.

I'm wondering if there shouldn't be some sort of benefit to carriers in general or flight decks in particular that gives you fighter wing supply/logistics discounts. Maybe even bring back the old Hangar stat on select destroyers and bigger. Something like a large decrease (50% at the least) or even a free maintenance for a wing of fighters per hangar would really help the swarming large-amount-per-wing fighters. Hell it'd be a great way to give an advantage to "true" carriers like the Condor (more hangars) compared to the combat carriers like the Venture (1 flight deck, but only a small amount of, maybe 1, hangar/s).
Plus it gives you a neat tool to bring the less-used capital ships up to spec.

If that's too radical even just a rebalance in fighter supply costs to make crap-but-swarming fighters not a gigantic waste of money would be really great. Especially the Mining Pods - I mean come on: They're supposed to be converted mining equipment, they shouldn't be more expensive than a freaking Xyphos Wing.

As an aside I wonder if we'll ever see a Phase-Fighter or Phase-Bomber wing. There's precedent with the Terminator Drone after all.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:54:32 PM by DatonKallandor »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Wing Supply Costs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »

Generally agree; this is also a known issue - Alex has said he's going to re-balance fighter supply costs for .61.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Wing Supply Costs
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »

Hey Daton, not meaning to choke you off*, but there's already a thread with the exact same topic here and several others with very similar topics. Feel free to rekindle a discussion there.

Although, as Wyvern said, the issue is not going to exist much longer anyway.

I'll close here for more transparency.

(*...then again that seems to be exactly what I meant to do... oO)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.