Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Fighter wings per flight deck?  (Read 1705 times)

Excalibur Bane

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Fighter wings per flight deck?
« on: September 30, 2013, 05:05:44 PM »

Okay, so this is a bit confusing. I had always assumed one fighter wing per flight deck, but I've seen others talking about having three or four per flight deck? How exactly does that work? What's the safe number of fight wings per flight deck?

katherine0852

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter wings per flight deck?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:21:41 PM »

There was a thread on this just a week ago, barely off the first page  :P
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6890.0

General consensus looks to be about 2-3. In my opinion it depends on the specific fighter a little; fragile interceptors/one-shot bombers might need more attention than beefy heavy fighters.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »

As long as your fleet has a flight deck, all fighter wings cannot die permanently.  However, if a wing of fighters gets destroyed while all of your carriers are busy constructing replacement fighters, that wing is forcibly removed from the rest of the battle.  If you want fighters to stay in battle until all replacements are used up, then to ensure that, you cannot have more fighters than decks in battle.  This favor wings with fewer fighters, such as Gladius, Thunder, and Xyphos wings.  You can field one wing per flight deck and be mostly assured that your wings will stay until they are gone.  The more fighters per deck you deploy, the more likely a given wing will be forced out of battle prematurely.

Excalibur Bane

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »

Great, thanks guys. That clears things up nicely. :)