Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fighting Phase Ships  (Read 3719 times)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Fighting Phase Ships
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:00:40 PM »

I don't recall them being this much of a pain.

Right now there's a TryTach fleet with a Doom, a Shade and an Afflictor and minus cheating and using a beam weapon and have it hovering over them so they keep in Phase indefinetly and out-flux them, i'm encountering a lot of problems taking them down. Above it all, they interfere with my normal autofire on the guns causing me to lose precious ammo on shots that will not hit anyway since they will phase back.

Right now i'm flying a Conquest with three Tempests for what it's worth.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Phase Ships
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:36 PM »

Phase cloak builds up hard flux & lets regenerate soft flux, like fortress shield, which is not quite enough to keep up indefinitely. Previously it was all soft flux and no regeneration.
Made them more viable, but I'd still prefer to see speed buff from cloak on top of this (that Alex put into patch notes at some point, but then decided to roll back).

Phase stuff is trivially killed by pointing beams at them and manually firing non-stop. Or just firing any flux cheap/rapid fire gun at regular intervals. Plus AI has quite seriously below-optimal timing and sometimes gets hit by shots it could easily avoid, even before maxing out flux.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:31:12 PM »

I don't know, right now i just tried a tri-tachyon lance Oddysey and barely made it through, but not with losses i would like to take. The Doom just gets out of weapons range too fast for me to catch up and shoot while venting and by the time i get it down, the other phase ships are still at full HP. And again, i find the 'keep the beam on him' trick a bit cheesy, and they should be beatable even without.

As for timing, the Doom can totally dephase and rephase evading tachyon lances to a perfect rate. The moment the weapon heats up to fire, and it really just takes a fraction of a second, the Doom is rephased again.

Elthari

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:52:03 AM »

High-Intensity lasers work perfectly on them. 1200 unbonused range (+25% + 50% + 200) = no Doom-class cruised will evade my wraith.

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 03:01:15 AM »

High-Intensity lasers work perfectly on them. 1200 unbonused range (+25% + 50% + 200) = no Doom-class cruised will evade my wraith.

I think you mean "Wrath"

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:18:39 AM »

I don't recall them being this much of a pain.
To me, it's always been this much of pain. I wonder if you've played the phase ship centric Shadow Order. The beginning is difficult if you're not properly armed to handle them.

I don't know, right now i just tried a tri-tachyon lance Oddysey and barely made it through, but not with losses i would like to take. The Doom just gets out of weapons range too fast for me to catch up and shoot while venting and by the time i get it down, the other phase ships are still at full HP. And again, i find the 'keep the beam on him' trick a bit cheesy, and they should be beatable even without.

As for timing, the Doom can totally dephase and rephase evading tachyon lances to a perfect rate. The moment the weapon heats up to fire, and it really just takes a fraction of a second, the Doom is rephased again.
It's exactly the fact that beams are so effective against phase ships that make me accept their mediocre DPS and actually consider them well balanced.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »

Focus-fire from multiple Burst PDs or well timed Heavy Blaster shots from the flagship are effective.  Being faster than phase ships fools the AI to stay cloaked until it overloads.  It also helps that phase ships' default configurations are not optimized for kiting.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »

If you have the small (or undergunned med.) missile slots available you can use swarmers to put pressure on phase ships longer. If you have it targeted, and fire them while it is physical they'll track them whilst they've phased too. Really handy when they are a tiny bit faster than you. The AI is quite afraid of all missiles even if they would do trivial damage because they've taken no armor damage

Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 09:35:58 PM »

Eventually i just went with a Guardian PD'd Oddysey, but it's annoying i had to go to that extreme just for phase ships.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 10:11:58 AM »

I'm a little fuzzy on why you think beam spam is cheating. It's like the one thing beams are really good at.

At any rate if you still have those 3 tempests in your fleet be sure to use the intercept command when attacking the doom. If you use the default engage they are a bit more cautious and get distracted easily so the doom doesn't build up flux as fast
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.