Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Fighters no longer "boardable" capturable?  (Read 3031 times)

bluntfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Fighters no longer "boardable" capturable?
« on: September 29, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »

So, has the ability to capture fighters been removed from the game? If so, is it something I can easily mod back in via the text files?  I have been playing for a while now and have yet to see fighter boarding as an option on .6a  . 

I kinda liked capturing beat up fighters.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Fighters no longer "boardable" capturable?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »

I'm not entirely sure how that would work....

Fighter wings (the cores of the wing) are technically in the carriers at the moment, even if you managed to get a fighter or 2, they'll basically do sod all without the (lore based) mini UAC that comes with each wing and let you replace them...

I don't think we can board fighters anymore, and if we can't I don't see it as easily moddable back in via text files...
mmm.... tartiflette

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »

Meanwhile capturing fighters by boarding seems odd lorewise... Maybe adding a small chance of recovering a fighter UAC item after winning a battle if at the end of it there are no enemy carriers remaining and, at least, a wing was destroyed. The wing UAC could be then sold for the same price as a 0 CR wing or reactivated to get a new fighter wing; if sold, the item would get replaced by the actual wing in the station's inventory.

Perhaps, just to increase the usage of marines, the player would need to board disabled non boardable (capturable) carriers to recover the UAC. In this case if the enemy fleet had no carriers the player would get the option to board the biggest ship to recover the UAC. Alternatively if the carrier/ship is also boardable (capturable) the player could also get a working UAC for success. Or even varying degrees of success in that case, carrier reactivated, working uac recovered, or both.

On a sidenote, I'm proposing an item due to the logistic impact of adding a fully working wing instantaneously to a fleet.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »

What's a UAC?
I imagine you're not talking about the Union Aerospace Corporation from Doom. ^_^'
Nor Windows' User Account Control.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »

Universal Access Chip.

A blueprint  consists of a factory control program stored on a Universal Access Chip. Most are also augmented with custom circuitry, and decades of corporate competition ensured that the chips are nearly impossible to duplicate, leaving companies with a tight hold on their manufacture. Before the Collapse blueprints of all items made in the Domain had been available from their makers, but not many such blueprints had found their way into the sector. The few functioning autofactories had them on hand, while the rest belonged to armchair historians, tinkers, and the insatiably curious. Overnight, these devices had become the most valuable commodity in the entire sector. The people that had access to the chips were rarely able to benefit from this value, as others, a more cunning and ruthless lot, were quick to ‘liberate’ the UACs from their rightful owners. Whether it was a forced barter, a theft, or worse, the chips quickly found their way into the hands of the highest bidder, no questions asked. Seeing this, many owners hid their UACs where ever they could, in the hopes of being able to recover them at a later time. Some were buried, others launched into low orbit, hidden in asteroid fields, frozen within glaciers on icy moons or simply jettisoned out the nearest airlock, lest they fall into the hands of those that did not deserve them.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »

Yes, you can. I tend to scrap everything though, but it does happen.
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 12:05:34 PM »

So shouldn't I get all of the fighters in a fleet if i manage to board the fleets carrier?