Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: "Hullo, it's Scott Manley here!"  (Read 33141 times)

Darod Khaan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: "Hullo, it's Scott Manley here!"
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 01:57:31 AM »

If you haven't gotten into ksp mods yet, i would recommend kethane, extra-terrestrial launch pads, kerbal attachment system, and magic smoke industries robotics pack.
kethane adds a raw fuel resource that you scan for from orbit, mine out when you find a pocket, and can process into  jet fuel, oxidizer, or monoprop.
E-T LP works partially off the kethane pluggin, and adds an ore resource that you can mine, smelt into a metal resource, and then build into a rocket parts resource. It also comes with a launch pad part that uses the rocket parts to assembles ships that you have saved in your hanger.
KAS adds winches and cables that attach to other ships for towing and resource transfer without docking.
MSI robotics adds several moving parts like rotating bearings, telescopic pistons, powered hinges, and my personal favorite, moving rails (i put them under any docking port that im going to use on the ground because they're never the same height.
Combing all of these you can build self sustaining bases.
Its much easier to launch large components from a low grav body like the mun.

I've used quite a few mods so far. Mostly mechajeb, kethane, quantum struts, quantum fuel transfer and several parts mods. For the time being tough, I'm going vanilla. I don't have that much gaming time nowadays, and with KSP releasing updates relatively often (and more often then not, assassinating one or more of the mods in the process) I wound up using more time to get the mods to work than I did actually playing the game :(
Before the last major update, I had a large station in Kerbal orbit, a smaller one in Mün orbit and were well underway in the construction of a major Kethane mining base on the Mün. :)

Just to make absolutely sure that I don't have enough time for any of my games, I'm also playing a lot of Minecraft, just downloaded and are testing StadMade (Minecraft in space), I'm considering getting FTL and (ofcourse) I just pre-ordered Star Citizen... And thats just in addition to more mainstream games... 24 hours a day? Who came up with that idea? There needs to be at least 36!!!!

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 04:43:13 AM »

The Dominator provides a helluva lot of frontal firepower and zips across the battlefield with it's Burn Drive. However, the Dominator works best when it's enemies stay in front of it and low maneuverability leaves it vulnerable to flanking by faster ships where you will be left completely unable to mount a proper response.

The Falcon is the lightest cruiser around, trading good armament and armour for speed and maneuverability. Maneuvering Jets let it move quicker across the battlefield, but it doesn't burst across it like the Dominator can. It has about the same level of firepower as a destroyer, but with a bigger supply footprint. Being a cruiser, it does enjoy a greater health pool than a destroyer does.

The Eagle is near identical to the Falcon, except being a little slower, a little tougher and more well armed. Like it's smaller brother, the Eagle also comes with Maneuvering Jets which allow it to readily swing itself around to face a threat approaching from another angle.

The Apogee most notably provides a good number of missiles. As well as being able to support Hurricanes or Cyclone launchers, it also has a forward facing large energy mount that can let you fit some incredible damage potential in the form of a Plasma Cannon, or long range support in the form of a HIL or Tachyon Lance. High Energy Focus lets it super charge it's large energy weapon for a while, good for cracking shields with the Plasma Cannon. However, it's mounts are all over the place, to say the least and getting good PD coverage may turn into an all-or-nothing affair with either having all small and medium slots covered in PD, or just having no PD at all and relying on the shield.

The Doom.....is not very doom-y... It is a good concept, but it requires incredible fleet micromanagement to work effectively (it basically needs everyone to be distracted to hurt something). It's not very sustainable (most of it's firepower comes in the form of missiles and once those are gone, which is very possible in a decently sized engagement, it's literally about as powerful as a Medusa, only much bigger), it lacks shields as it instead uses the phase cloak, and is fragile enough that a few plinks from any kinetic autocannon will quickly begin to eat into the hull, let alone if it's hit by any reasonable HE payloads like a Pilum or a Mauler shell. I really wouldn't recommend the Doom, it's too slow and unwieldy and is so situational that enemy Dooms can often times be ignored with a couple guns tracking it's movement to make it wanna stay under cloak.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 05:30:21 AM »

Not only is that post in the wrong thread, the entire thread's discussion is in the wrong Subforum. Not that I care
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »

My post?

Most of the posts in this thread are a derailment about some popular KSP mod, but the thread was originally about a youtuber who's promoting Starsector a little with a "Let's Look At" kind of video.

Darod Khaan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »

Thanks for all the information Silver Silence! It will certainly be very helpful!  :)
And sorry for contributing to the somewhat massive derailment   :-X

Looks like it's about time for me to start my own tread. ;)

cell

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »

The Apogee... High Energy Focus lets it super charge it's large energy weapon for a while

im not really sure whats going on in this thread but just wanted to point out that this is incorrect. the apogee has sensor drones which sport ion cannons and give it superior range over all other cruisers. you should also probably note that it has one of the most powerful shields in the game.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 02:35:07 PM »

Apogee would be my personal recommendation, though a Falcon or Eagle will be cheaper to operate, and are both still quite good.  I would not recommend a Dominator - I find them to be tricky to fly and heavily reliant on support.

That said, if you do get a Falcon or Eagle, I'd strongly suggest not using the default variants; in particular, you want burst PD covering your engines - they'll reliably shoot down salamander missiles - and you'll want a mix of kinetic & HE weapons in the medium slots - I'd suggest one heavy mauler for the HE, and one (or two for the Eagle) heavy needlers, but you can substitute other weapons without too much trouble.  For the medium energy turrets, graviton beams are basically the only option; these mid-tech ships don't have the dissipation to support heavier energy armaments.

For the Apogee, I frequently ignore the missile slots; there are a lot of variants that will work well, though.  For example, you might use heavy blasters in the turrets as primary armament, with an HIL for long-range fighter/frigate sniping.  Or you might use a plasma cannon, backed up by phase beams for anti-fighter work.  Or you could use an Autopulse Laser with a MIRV launcher or a pair of antimatter blasters for breaking armor.  Or... etc.  One thing to be sure of, though: you need to have armament that can take out fighters, otherwise the first broadsword wing you encounter will kill you.  Fortunately, even heavy blasters works reasonably well here, as long as you have enough CR / gunnery skill to make them hit.

Always put dedicated targeting core on cruisers (and capital ships if you decide to get one); the only exception to this rule is if you've got enough points in tech to install integrated targeting unit instead.  ...Or if it's a carrier or other utility ship and its weapon ranges don't really matter.

If you're going for an Apogee, you'll want at least 70k credits just to make sure you can afford hull (42k) + weapons(10k+ depending on what you want - cheapest effective armament is 2x heavy blaster 2x burst pd - put remaining points in unstable injector, vents, and capacitors) + crew (9k for regulars) + supplies (maybe another 10k here just to be sure); the first game I played with CR, I bought one when I couldn't quite afford it, and things went... bad.

Falcon & Eagle are both a bit cheaper, but you can figure those out yourself I'm sure.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 02:51:56 PM »

The Apogee... High Energy Focus lets it super charge it's large energy weapon for a while

im not really sure whats going on in this thread but just wanted to point out that this is incorrect. the apogee has sensor drones which sport ion cannons and give it superior range over all other cruisers. you should also probably note that it has one of the most powerful shields in the game.

???

I be tripping then... I haven't flown an Apogee since forever, I bought one back in like.... was it 0.52? With the Minimash mod and old things like that one mod faction that flew green ships and set up their own station in orbit which at the time was like the absolute shiznit compared to everything else. Their station was always fully stocked with everything.

And as Wyvern said, for just about any ship, try to have at least 1.5x or 2x it's price to ensure you can buy the hull, necessary crew, supplies to bring the ship online and a complete fitting.

For the Eagle, my loadouts typically forgo the front ballistic mounts entirely, using the freed OP to fortify shielding or something. Heavy Blasters give the Eagle a good ability to bully smaller ships, though other cruisers can certainly stand their ground thanks to the shorter range of the energy weapons in general.
Pages: 1 2 [3]