Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flagships!  (Read 6146 times)

AnimeHeretic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Flagships!
« on: September 26, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »

Post yer Flagships!

Onslaught Battleship:
2X Thermal Pulse Cannon
1X Hephaestus Assault Gun
2X Mark lX Autocannon
5X Heavy Autocannon
2X Flak Cannon
2X Dual Flak Cannon
4X Harpoon MRM Pod

Extended Shields
Accelerated Shields
Stabilized Shields
Expanded Magazines
Expanded Missile Racks
ECCM Package
Auxillery Thrusters
Integrated Targeting Unit
Advanced Turret Gyros
Resistant Flux Coils

7 Capacitors
100 Vents

Devastating at range.  Overload enemy ships with the TPC's and then pump a volley or two of harpoons into them; kills anything short of a paragon instantly(or another onslaught).  Can brawl with a paragon quite well with careful flux management.  Fleet support is two odyssey's with tachyon lances and pilums along with 5 wings of xyphos fighters to chase down carriers and quick destroyers.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Flagships!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:38:21 PM »

Hammerhead Destroyer:

2x Assault Chaingun
2x Sabot SRM rack
4x LR PD laser

Expanded Missile Racks
Maneuvering Jets

It's not the size of your ship... It's how you command her :D
mmm.... tartiflette

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »

Astral Super carrier

3x phase beams
8x tactical lasers
2x pilum LRM
2x harpoon MRM

Unstable injector
Integrated PD ai
50 vents
13 capacitors

built solely for self defense against anything that gets through its screen of fighters. also the unstable injector helps it to keep up with the fighters, a little.

Speaking of fighters as it is my only real way of attacking i feel i should mention them here:
15x thunder wings
4x gladius wings
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Beobachter

• Ensign
  • Balancing? What is that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 10:14:07 PM »

Conquest-class Battle cruiser:
8x Burst PD
2x Large Burst Lasers
4x Heavy Auto cannons
4x Hephaestus Assault Guns
2x Pilum Missile Batteries
2x Typhoon Reaper Torpedo Launchers

Expanded Magazines
Hardened Shields

As many vents and capacitors as will fit at maxed OP skills
Maneuvering Jets are so nice.
Putting together a mod sometime in the distant future.

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:23:53 AM »

Eagle-class Cruiser:

2x Arbalest Autocannon;
1x Heavy Mauler;
3x Graviton Beam;
2x Reaper Torpedo;
2x PD Laser;

Resistant Flux Conduits, Dedicated Targeting Core, Auxiliary Thrusters;

If only i had found a Falcon anywhere, i love that little guy  :'(
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »

You can, just enter the hyperspace area with some fuel, and head over to the Askonia star system. The Sindrian Dakat station, and faction, exclusively have the midline ships.

My favorite is the Aurora Cruiser

4X Annihilator
1X Dual Reaper Thingy
3X Heavy Blaster
Everything Else: Burst PD

Hardened Shields
Integrated Targeting Unit
Unstable Injector
Augmented Engines

Lots of Capacitors, then vent. 

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:04:36 AM »

Medusa
2x Burst PD
2x heavy blaster
36x vent
resistant flux conduit
Unstable injector and augmented engines
Integrated targeting unit

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 10:09:38 AM »

In v0.6, due to CR and battle formats, I have two flagships I swap in and out of.

For normal, non-pursuit battles, when I do not use a frigate swarm, I use this:

Odyssey-class battlecruiser
Weapons:  Plasma Cannon x2, Autopulse Laser, Burst PD x9, Harpoon MRM (Single) x3
Hullmods:  Auxiliary Thrusters, Front Shield Emitter, Integrated Targeting Unit, Resistant Flux Conduits, Unstable Injector
Capacitors: 9
Vents: 50

This is my ideal configuration with max Combat and Technology.  With less OP, I remove the capacitors, use fewer vents (no less than 30) and/or remove Resistant Flux Conduits, and I may remove a couple burst PDs, and swap out the plasma cannons for more autopulse lasers and Expanded Magazines.

I have adapted my configuration to not use Augmented Engines since engine hullmods may be mutually exclusive in the next patch.

For pursuits, or any battle when my fleet is a frigate swarm, I use this:

Hyperion-class frigate
Weapons:  Heavy Blaster x2, IR Pulse Laser x2, Harpoon MRM (Single) x2
Hullmods:  Accelerated Shields, Extended Shields, Flux Coil Adjunct, Resistant Flux Conduits
Capacitors: 18
Vents: 10

Again, assuming max Combat and Technology.  The IR Pulse Lasers are for anti-fighter.  Blasters are the strike weapons for everything else.  With less OP, I take out the Flux Coil, and if my flux builds up too fast, I may swap out IR Pulse Lasers for Burst PD Lasers.

In any case, if I do not have the Optimized Assembly perk, which makes single Harpoons free to install, I do not use them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:11:52 AM by Megas »

Excalibur Bane

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »

Well, my sad little flagship, an Eagle cruiser just went down in flames after an extended exchange with two pirate cruisers, whose class eludes me at the moment. RIP ISS Excalibur. You shall be remembered fondly.

I'm truly the worst player ever. Even with mouse control enabled, I can't lead worth a damn. I had two of those fancy pancy chainguns mounted on the front and a couple of antimatter blasters in the energy slots. No missiles, no PD because I needed the room for the damned unstable booster thingy majig. Otherwise, the whole damned fleet would slow down to a 4 warp crawl. And I absolutely refuse to use tugs, it's embarassing. If a ship can't fight, then it ain't in my fleet.

So I'm down to 110k, a lousy shuttle and I'm just Level 7 now. The destruction of my fleet gave me a disgusting amount of experience. I'm thinking of going pure frigate now and raiding the poo out of all those, somewhat, beefy pirate raiders. Most of them seem to have that Buffalo freighter with them, which nets me a nice 300 or so supplies. Hopefully get some more experience under the old belt and improve my odds of survival next go around.

Ah, well. I enjoy the challenge. I posted about 3 or 4 youtube videos of random skirmishes for some friends to sample, in hopes that they too might join me in partaking in this here, fine game.

Anyway, getting off topic. So yeah, see my loadout above. Please excuse the bloated post, I'm extremely tired and I tend to rant on under those circumstances. ;)

Elthari

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »

Odyssey-class Battlecruiser

1 x Plasma Cannon
2 x High Intensity Lasers
6 x LR PD Lasers
6 x Burst PD Lasers

Dedicated Targeting Core
Front Shield Emitter
Augmented Engines
Advanced Turret Gyros
Auxiliary Thursters

Maximum flux vents

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 01:53:29 PM »

Personally, I love using the Wolf as a flagship in the early game. Can't honestly say I'm a fan of the close support variant you can start off with though. Instead, I go with this when possible:

1x ion cannon in the forward facing turret. The arc is so small vs the side turrets that it's not worth mounting PD there, and the ion cannon unleashes worlds of pain on those pesky buffalos and fighters. It's also satisfying to give those hounds a faceful of EMP when they get close, further assisted by the ion cannons' range beating the IR pulse lasers' (who'd have thought?). It only gets better if the EMP arcs from it disable their engines. Not so cocky anymore, those hound pilots.
2x LR PD lasers in the side turrets (PD laser probably works fine or maybe even better)

I leave the gravy beam in the medium, same with the harpoons, but I sacrafice expanded missile racks for more OP to put into vents. If you still have spare after filling vents, I'd say throw in more hullmods, but leave advanced optics in as it helps with the PD and the gravy beam.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:55:51 PM by billi999 »

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 03:47:38 PM »

My starting flagship is usually the wolf...I love the aesthetics of the high-tech ships, and lasers are always awesome.

ISS Winter's Fury, Wolf-class frigate

1 x Graviton Beam, set to auto-fire
2 x whatever those starting missiles are, set to default manual control
3 x PD Beam, set to auto-fire

I much prefer having the gravy beam auto-fire, and manually control the missiles. A lot easier to control the ship, then.

After a little while, I upgrade...

ISS Winter's Hope, Medusa-class Destroyer

2x Graviton Beam, set to auto-fire
2x Light Dual Autocannon, set to manual
5 x PD Beam, set to auto-fire

I really love this little ship. I have not yet found a cruiser I like, so I've taken three of these, and three wolves, and become the terror of the independent traders over in the second system.

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 04:00:34 PM »

ISS Tenchaubi (Wolf Class Frigate)

3x IR Pulse Lasers
2x Harpoon MRM Launchers

Accelerated Shields
Auxiliary Thrusters

10 Vents
9 Capacitors

It's a hardy 'ol bird, and with the ISS Clementine (It's sister ship), the ISS Anasiaa and the ISS Corbaeus, a pair of Omen Class EWAR frigates, armed with a pair of antimatter blasters each, and Harpoon MRM launchers- it's a right terror.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 04:46:57 PM »

Startgame nothing beats a Tempest. Most people like to cram antimatter blasters but for the exact enemies you'll fight at the start of the game, hounds, lashers and fighters need something with range, precision, and good turn rate. Enter Phase Beams. Let the autofire handle them, launch the Terminator, Frontal Shield or atleast Extended early and you're golden. But you need a good steady pair of hands to strafe this nible ship around all the harpoons and salamanders plus clouds of annihilators. I can't think of a better ship to learn how to fly a ship under a combat situation while flying, moving shields and keeping in range of weapons. Later on when you're starting to face cruisers you can pretty much just leave it to the AI with accelerated shields and blasters.

Hotshot3434

• Ensign
  • "Time For Some Thrilling Heroics"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »

Apogee Class Long Range Cruiser: ISS Daedalus
Weapons:
1x Autopulse Laser or Plasma Cannon
2x Antimatter Blasters
2X Tactical Lasers or Burst PD
2X Heavy Blasters
Mods:
Advanced Turret Gyros
Dedicated Targeting Core
Stabilized Shields
Hardened Shields
Expanded Magazines
Augmented Engines

Utility:
The Apogee is a fantastic lone-wolf style ship because of its good travel speed, large cargo bay, and good fuel capacity. Especially in the new update where traveling any sort of distance can drain you of supplies and CR a ship with the ability to carry enough supplies for upkeep is a major advantage.

Combat:
I love the Apogee for its ability to take extreme amounts of punishment on its shields while still supporting some respectable firepower. My general strategy its to unload with the Autopulse Laser, usually causing an overload on weaker shields and severely raising to flux on more advanced ships. Meanwhile I have both Heavy Blasters on autofire to pound to crap out of both the shield and armor of the opponent. One the ship has overloaded or is sitting near an overload I fire the Antimatter blasters. Cruisers and capital ships are left with a gaping hole in their armor and anywhere from 20%-50% hull. Everything else is destroyed completely. Pick another target, rinse and repeat.

The Autopulse Laser can be traded out for a Plasma Cannon although the higher flux use and OP cost tends to put you in more of a mid-long range punisher rather than my preferred brawler style. In this case I would also trade the Tactical Lasers for Burst PD for the added protection from Salamander missiles (one of the only weaknesses of this ship if you decide to drop shields to vent).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:03:18 PM by Hotshot3434 »
Pages: [1] 2