Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ramming Speed!  (Read 7341 times)

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Ramming Speed!
« on: September 24, 2013, 08:20:47 PM »

I managed to make a gemini retreat. I stayed in front of it trying to destroy it in time. Not checking the map, I just kept backing up. Suddenly, it began accelerating and I barely got my shields up in time. Probably because I hit in the middle of armorless open hull but my shields did enough damage to destroy the gemini (probably about 1/3-1/2 health before ramming) and it sent me spinning and overloaded at half health from the explosion after the ramming overloaded my shields. I'm not sure if this is a bug (retreat with anything, friendly or hostile in the way) or just a hilarious occurrence.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ramming Speed!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:51:33 AM »

I'd say "hilarious occurrence" :) A high-tech game of chicken, if you will.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »

We should totally add ragdoll behaviour to ships. :3

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »

I've done something vaguely similar to this!

I was feeling a little bit mad at the time, but the situation was this:

I had an Onslaught.

The enemy had one too.

A Condor had made the mistake of getting between us. I saw my chance, and rammed it. Smashing it into the hull of the enemy Onslaught, the resulting explosion causing the both of us much pain.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 09:58:40 AM »

Has the collision damage calculation been touched for this update? It feels as if fighters have more impact. He.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:20:39 AM »

Has the collision damage calculation been touched for this update? It feels as if fighters have more impact. He.

It hasn't. You're just imagining things. Or playing a mod that has really heavy fighters (as far as their mass.)

... actually, that'd be pretty funny. A wing of bomber-type fighters with engines in the front (so that they get disabled quickly and can collide with the target), a high mass (so that they'd do lots of damage), and a high hull integrity (so that they don't all get shot down).

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 10:35:37 AM »

Speaking of ramming speed, here is an excellent way to retreat in an Enforcer with Augmented engines.

1) Burn drive.
2) Fire rocket swarm (4x). They will fall behind and burn out.
3) Have your own rockets knock out your engines.
4) Coast away to victory!

Also amusing - I got hit by a hypervelocity asteroid yesterday :P. Must have bounced off an enemy Venture when it was burning onto the battle. Spun my Medusa around and did 100 armor damage. It was kinda awesome, if a freak occurrence.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »

Is it possible to modify asteroid speed? If you could make a script to have asteroids respawn instead of glide off the map, you could fight in asteroid "storms" like FTL with high speed 'roids flying everywhere.  :D

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 11:11:39 AM »

It hasn't. You're just imagining things. Or playing a mod that has really heavy fighters (as far as their mass.)

... actually, that'd be pretty funny. A wing of bomber-type fighters with engines in the front (so that they get disabled quickly and can collide with the target), a high mass (so that they'd do lots of damage), and a high hull integrity (so that they don't all get shot down).
It's not just this update, actually; when my Apogee gets attacked by Talon interceptors, the dangerous thing isn't their weaponry, but the fighters themselves - if their engines get knocked offline while they're over my shields, I can easily end up taking half my flux capacity in damage from a single wing.

Edit: On the plus side, if their engines get knocked offline while they're over my shields, that's a guaranteed dead fighter; they can't survive that.  Hm.  Maybe this should be changed so an offline fighter gets knocked away once, rather than taking (and applying) damage every time-tick until it explodes?  Seriously, one fighter-hull is a bigger danger than a torpedo.
Edit2: Made a suggestions topic for that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:26:24 AM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »

And a range 5 torpedo, in case the mass isn't enough and for additional fireworks. :D

Ok, now i need to mod in an Executor dreadnought and an A-Wing fighter. Damn you and your tempting ideas.
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

Hotshot3434

• Ensign
  • "Time For Some Thrilling Heroics"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 12:39:37 PM »

Ramming is my main strategy whenever I play a hound that has run out of ammo (provided I have installed a shield generator on it). I just raise shields and ram into the enemy until I need to vent, fly away, and repeat. Ships that have omni-shields will take a lot of flux dmg and can be finished off by other ships. Ships with front shields get the crap rammed out of their engines and pushed around to allow for a better angle of attack for my other ships.

NanoMatter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 05:29:43 PM »

I was playing Vanilla + BRDY (Blackrock Driveyards) And basically I was 1/2 Hp on a Karkinos-Class, about to face the last Onslaught in the Hegemony Defense Fleet and I used the Scalar Decrectior - whatever, and like 5 asteroids kind of came toward me then when I teleported the asteroids came swinging toward the onslaught at like at super fast speed, it did like 5000 HP of damage, then took it down in like 10 seconds

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 04:52:18 PM »

Osmium fighters here I come!
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 05:34:28 PM »

Ramming, throwing rocks with Scalar Deracinators? That is all good stuff, but lets have some Fun with Repulsors.

Also there is some teasers in that video of random things I am working on, but I have been rather preoccupied lately and the release schedules for all my projects were pushed back :(
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:41:57 PM by MesoTroniK »