Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

How many wings per deck?

2-
- 5 (29.4%)
- 8 (47.1%)
- 3 (17.6%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
10+
- 1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: fighter wings per flight deck  (Read 4052 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
fighter wings per flight deck
« on: September 23, 2013, 12:46:19 AM »

Wondering what y'all think here. The missions (averaged out) would have one believe around 5 fighter wings are suitable for a single flight deck to handle (ofc depending on combat situation and fighter type, but still)

Problem is, in a normal combat scenario (in my experience), 1 deck cannot hope to service 5 wings (which also seems to be why a rendezvous command leaves most fighters out of the fight). I'm experimenting with the refit time values but I'm not quite sure where to start (dividing by number of fighters in a wing resulted in a no order win on Coral Nebula which probably screams overpowered)

I guess the question here is this: Should all fighters be in the fight at all times? Given they're being serviced by what you would consider to be a sufficient number of decks that is. How many, if any on average, do you think should be kept waiting?
mmm.... tartiflette

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: fighter wings per flight deck
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 01:07:31 AM »

Without changing any values I use 1 deck for 3 fighter wings. If i'm using lots of bombers I like to keep it closer to 1:1
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:21:22 AM »

Once CR stuff is out of the equation... I'd say that 3-10 seconds is a valid range for fighter refit, depending on what it is... and I generally have had the best results with 1-2 Wings per Deck, because the Fighter AI still isn't conservative enough about returning to base after sustaining losses.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:43:09 AM »

Wait, so how many fighters can you actually have per flight deck normally?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »

Wait, so how many fighters can you actually have per flight deck normally?

You can have as many as you want. The problem is, if all craft of a wing are destroyed, that wing is out of the fight. "All craft" here includes those that are currently in production inside a carrier. That means, if you have one wing and one carrier, the wing can only be kicked out of the combat by destroying it again and again until its CR is used up.
The moment you have two wings, one can also be kicked out of the fight by destroying all its craft while the carrier is busy reproducing fighters for the other wing. The more wings you have, relative to the number of flight decks, the higher the chance to lose them for the battle before their CR is used up.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »

I see, thanks.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 06:43:57 AM »

in small fleets i keep the numbers closer to 2 wings per deck or even 1, but once i get some money, i often have so many fighter wings i just don't care anymore. my current fleet is one astral, and about 18 thunder wings. so its about 6 wings per flight deck.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.