Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Maximum burn changing in hyperspace  (Read 1238 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Maximum burn changing in hyperspace
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:39:57 AM »

Till now I thought that this was intentional, but now I'm not so sure:

Your max burn level when in hyperspace and away from gates about doubles. OK, I guess it's about making the distances seem longer without making them boring.
The problem is that when you're outside of deep hyperspace and hover over the fuel bar, the tooltip only tells you your hyperspace burn speed near gates and the daily fuel consumption and range in lightyears that would result from it. Since most of hyperspace lies in between gates, the values are pretty useless.
So, when I'm hunting ships in hyperspace I'm running out of fuel much sooner that I could have expected when I was buying the stuff.

Also, am I missing something or are light year values useless anyway, since we don't have any way of telling distances (yet)?

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum burn changing in hyperspace
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »

If you look at the tooltip when you've for the bonus (it's +5, btw, not double) it shows the bonus and updated per-day values. Or are you not seeing that?

The per-light-year value doesn't change, though, since that's what fuel consumption is based on. The faster you go, the faster you travel one light year and use that amount of fuel.

And, right, the starmap will eventually show ranges in light-years which will make this information actually useful.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum burn changing in hyperspace
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 02:53:21 PM »

If you look at the tooltip when you've for the bonus (it's +5, btw, not double) it shows the bonus and updated per-day values. Or are you not seeing that?

I'm seeing that. I thought it might be an oversight that the fuel tooltip doesn't always use the max burn +5 to calculate the values. That would be closer to the real daily fuel consumption.
Or to be more concrete: I ran out of fuel in hyperspace, because I bought fuel and supplies for a certain amount of days based on the false consumption prognosis of the tooltip.

Once you now it it's not much of a problem, just a surprise at first.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.