Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Typhoon Usagi  (Read 3848 times)

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile
Typhoon Usagi
« on: September 22, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »

At the moment of writing, This "monster typhoon" is right on top of where I live. To be specific, about 80 km north of Hong Kong Observatory[HKO], at 23.0N 114.1E.

Even a few days ago, the storm has been predicted to make a landfall somewhere close to Hong Kong... and this is the path it took

It has been hyped as the strongest typhoon to hit us. Advisories were issued well before the storm is close enough to warrant a warning signal. It strengthened from a category 1 to a category 5 within 24 hours on 19th Sept. Even after grinding itself against Taiwan, Usagi maintained the strength of a "strong typhoon"  by HKO definition. Combined with spring tide brought about by the full moon, there are worries of a storm surge occurrence.

Hours ago it made landfall on Shanwei, around 100km east of Hong Kong, where it's said to have killed 10 people. With the landmass disrupting airflow, Hong Kong was not hit as hard as predicted. Although now the typhoon is at last weakening, gale and storm level wind are expected to maintain throughout the night.

Unfortunately, possibly because the city is pretty well-fortified against tropical cyclones, people are showing less respect to such natural disaster. With people engaging in activity like this, as much as I hate to think about it - they need a lesson, and they might soon get it.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Typhoon Usagi
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 11:31:50 AM »

holy sh*t

that's close to where my family lives  :o (Shen zhen, I moved to Canada a bit ago)

gl, hope you guys are ok
mmm.... tartiflette

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »

Wow that sounds like a incredibly nasty storm! I hope you guys are all ok! :)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »

eh, my family was well away from the worst of it, and they made it out with a short blackout and a nasty mess on the balcony

Can't say the same for the folks in Taiwan and Hongkong though...
mmm.... tartiflette