Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Example why CR makes for fun gameplay.  (Read 3054 times)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Example why CR makes for fun gameplay.
« on: September 20, 2013, 02:10:08 AM »

So there i was. My frigate fleet led by my Oddysey had just finishing the second engagement in a row with pirates in Askonia when i realized another fleet's inertia was going to impact mine when i unpaused. I did. I got attacked, and disengagement didn't work out as i hoped even with my 7 burn. My Oddysey was out of commision due to CR, as were two other ships. All i had to defend with were two of my 'converted-for-AI' Tempests and a Wolf. Set the Wolf and a Tempest on fighters, a decision i would regret in hindsight, and transferred command to my former flagship, the AKS Armageddon, Tempest. The cut down for AI version had no extended shields, accelerated though, and Graviton Beams. Not what i used to fly with 270 degree shield and Phases.

Started distracting the bigger enemy ships, like Tarsuses, and a Mule but soon realized it won't be long. While most of my fleet would be fine, the Oddysey would not. I regrouped near it and thank the lord the Terminator drone does point defense aswell. The enemy had bombers and two fighter wings, and while my graviton beams managed to stray them off course enough, i still had to maneuver my little frigate and its shield to take the brunt of bombs and missiles. As the plating on the Oddysey started to buckle, each individual tiny missile ment a chunk of its hull down. The Tempest wasn't doing well either, now at half-hull, huddled at the engine of the Oddysey defending left and right with beams and shields what missiles i could. Had a little flashback back when i was flying in Freespace 2 and defending capships against missiles and how i thought it was easy enough. Not so much here. As each other ship in the fleet managed to succesfully retreat, my prized flagship was shifting between engine flameouts and spurts of overheated plasma pushing it slowly and painfully forward.

I was sighting of relief when i finally saw the Wolf return and the wave of succesful retreats continue but the good joy didn't last. Seconds later an offscreen fighter squad launched tiny missiles that in any other situation i'd discredit as just space fireworks. If i had a phase frigate i could phase under the Oddysey and come out the other side to meet them. If i had a properly fitted Tempest i could move around the ship with enough speed, maybe. None of those was applicable then as the final blows breached the flagship and the last thing i saw was a bright blue haze. Oddysey down, Tempest down.

Post OP situation: The other Tempest seemed to be dead aswell and the Wolf soon followed, overloaded by the sudden explosion. Support ships and two CR0'd combat ships manage to escape mostly, if bruised here and there. This would take some rebuilding.

Summing up.. All of this made possible by the CR mechanic and the new engagement changes. So GJ dev-team!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:12:59 AM by Cosmitz »

Musaab

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Example why CR makes for fun gameplay.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 03:24:57 AM »

Great write-up!  I agree with you on CR...it leads to a lot of fun and it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. 

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 03:54:26 AM »

First day i played with CR i hated it, game was less fun because I couldn't roflstomp everything with my Hyperion or my Paragon any longer. However after playing a few days and building balanced fleets with support ships and actually using the ships in the role their designed for I am loving this new CR stuff. since this is an example thread let me give mine

My current fleet is 4 Hounds, 4 Medusa and 2 Lashers. any given deployment against the small pirate fleets I deploy 2 of my medusa in the first engagement and either the hounds or lashers for the pursuit battle. Get a lot of loot really quick through this method and its surprisingly cheap and easy to get started on a new file.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 05:21:30 AM »

The whole CR mechanic will have alot less of an impact after trading and its related mechanics are implmented.

Psygnosis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »

The whole CR mechanic will have alot less of an impact after trading and its related mechanics are implmented.
someone brought up the captains tab thats yet tob e included. it would be interesting to see if we get captains who reduce CR usage.

Durandal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 08:49:20 PM »

I have to admit, my first game with CR ended as a disaster and almost soured me on it until I realized what it had done.  It shifted the play paradigm away from being able to successfully operate on a hyper-risky, razor thin margin.  My first game was my usual grab-medusa-ASAP kind of game.  I jumped in to the Medusa, eating most of my 24k at the time after I was done fitting.

I had no support, just a solo (high-tech, tempermental, touchy, etc.) ship.  My first combat, I was, perhaps a bit cocky.  Took a bit of damage and was eating repairs.  I quickly ate through my supplies.  I didn't suspend repairs, thinking I could duke it out and grab a lifeline.  But with my supplies dwindling down to nothing, my CR shot from bad logistics and my hull not fully repaired; I couldn't quite make it.  I ended with 63 credits, a beat up destroyer and my tail between my legs.

At first, I was miffed, I always played that way.  But then I realized, that I was finally playing a game where the survival mechanic wasn't toothless.  The game defeated me on logistics alone!  Only reality itself tends to do that these days.

In the end, I had to learn new tricks to survive and CR is what makes it happen.

Now with my newly minted mini-fleet (Medusa, Sunder, a couple Lashers and the support of a Freighter and three tugs) I am sitting pretty.  I have a strong infrastructure that can eat a little bit of disaster.  I have the flexibility to either deploy overwhelming force against my usual targets or give chase when they realize they are over matched.  I now have reasons to hold bits and pieces back other than personal challenge.  And awesomely, I have reason to not always deploy in my flagship.

I find play a lot more varied and interesting now and it no longer feels like a headlong rush toward grabbing a capital ship and soloing things from there.

Hell, I'm even finding myself keeping a lot of ships in storage for reasons other than "bored of flying that".

I'm loving the whole support-fleet angle as well.  A game that has me taking freighters and utility ships before there is even a trade system in place is definitely interesting.

I'm definitely enjoying the new paradigm.  It makes play feel more organic and it fits my sense of verisimilitude a lot more.  Looking at my logistical situation really pulls me in to the game and puts me in the frame of mind of a fleet commander instead of keeping me at a distance.  The sense of immersion it has given me is excellent.

I'm sure there are still tweaks to be made to it, but the overall idea and implementation are excellent.  It will go quite well with any kind of trade mechanics when those roll around as well.  Having to gauge the cost of supplies and fuel needed to ship things from point A to point B (especially with a dynamic economy) will but some actual risk in to the act of trading that isn't tied to roving pirate fleets.  Taking a loss because the expected margin trading food between Sirius III and Tau Ceti II was lower than projected against the cost of fuel and supplies to get there is just plain awesome (and something few games like this will ever simulate).

Can't wait to see how this proceeds from here, that's just a great bit of design that spider webs to so many other bits of play.  As a basic mechanic, the general idea is a winner.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 01:39:38 AM »

Has anyone else tried pushing some of the bigger, slower ships with a tempest or a hound? It didn't work out for me for the once or twice I tried it, but I still think it's doable.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Dayshine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 02:26:28 AM »

My problem with CR is that it has effectively become an on/off switch for my combat.

Either the enemy is at max CR and they engage me and it's a normal fight... or they don't, I harry them to 0%CR and it's just a massacre of a pursuit.

I've never had a fight with enemy ships failing or not at full strength.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 11:02:43 PM »

Has anyone else tried pushing some of the bigger, slower ships with a tempest or a hound? It didn't work out for me for the once or twice I tried it, but I still think it's doable.

Do you mean in a retreat? If so then yes. It is basically impossible to make a ship go faster than you if it has more mass and it's engines are online. If you ion the engine you can push it faster until they come online, but a frigate pushing a cruiser is pretty futile.

I like that CR affects the AI too. They usually are conservative with their fights, but they still pick them sooner or later. I like to hop on a fleet right after its had a fight with a 3rd fleet. That way they have the shorting out weapons, and i can punch above my normal weight class.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.