Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 158478 times)

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2013, 11:04:53 PM »

There is most likely some optimizations that could be done, but I wouldn't know. There will most likely be graphics options sometime in the future, kinda like Minecrafts Fancy/Fast render settings. Only Alex knows thhough, so don't take my word for it!

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2013, 01:16:34 AM »

Actually we've already hit and solved this issue :D

Okim's Ironclads mod adds in so much that the game fell over and died when trying to load all the systems and fleets up.  Alex gave us a simple fix to increase memory usage from 512 to 1024 that solved the issue and compressing the saves made loading/saving much faster.  I assume 2048 is also possible under 32bit architecture, but finally Alex was open that it's a hacky solution and there will be major optimisation down the line when vanilla reaches the size Okim's had.

colormeblind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »

I have to say guys that your game is amazing and the ONLY reason I pre-ordered it is because I got to try it out first by downloading it from the pirate bay. Absolutely amazing game mechanics when it comes to combat and the physics, I love that you can basically create your own empire as well. I honestly think you guys should post a release on TPB, you won't believe how many people on there will buy your software after trying it out I know I did and I'm loving it so far. The only hitch I have found so far is that I can't seem to buy in smaller amounts from stations, its all or nothing. Maybe I missed something in the tutorials or perhaps it just isn't possible to do yet but so far this game rocks and the attention to detail on the release notes makes it easy to understand what direction you are taking the game in, keep it up guys! Rock the Stars with your awesome game!

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2013, 11:08:12 AM »

welcome to forum ;D, not sure how others think of the TPB thing but I don't judge, the last guy who revealed he pirated the game got banned though... (personally, I got PoP ready if anyone wants to see)

you can't exactly build an empire yet, that comes in due time.

pretty sure the folks out there already got the TPB release covered, don't think alex needs to do that. Even if it doesn't though, somehow I feel official release on TPB will decrease sales since that creates an image of the devs supporting piracy :(

buying smaller amounts from stations is a bit of a rite of passage for new players here, see if you can figure out how to do it ;)

see here if you give up
Spoiler
shift click
[close]

mmm.... tartiflette

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2013, 11:19:36 AM »

I have to say guys that your game is amazing and the ONLY reason I pre-ordered it is because I got to try it out first by downloading it from the pirate bay. Absolutely amazing game mechanics when it comes to combat and the physics, I love that you can basically create your own empire as well. I honestly think you guys should post a release on TPB, you won't believe how many people on there will buy your software after trying it out I know I did and I'm loving it so far. The only hitch I have found so far is that I can't seem to buy in smaller amounts from stations, its all or nothing. Maybe I missed something in the tutorials or perhaps it just isn't possible to do yet but so far this game rocks and the attention to detail on the release notes makes it easy to understand what direction you are taking the game in, keep it up guys! Rock the Stars with your awesome game!

Hey colormeblind, welcome to the forum!  :)
I'm not part of the development team, but I'm sure Alex&co will be happy to hear that you like it so much.

To purchase a specific amount on a station, just hold shift, click&hold on the item you want and a slider will appear that you can drag to the right.

Now, regarding piracy, that's not a topic that is particularly well liked here. While for some players it might work as a form of demo, the damaging effects of piracy, especially for a small indie developer, can't be negated. So, not meaning to be unfriendly, I'd ask you to dial back your enthusiasm for that while on the forum.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »

@colormeblind: Thanks for your support, glad you're liking the game!

As far as piracy: as Gothars mentioned, that's not a topic for discussion on this forum.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2013, 12:10:37 PM »

But they're one of 4 factions currently in the game!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 11, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »

Touche.

colormeblind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »

No disrespect intended and your input is also noted. As much as I am a pirate I will refrain from any further speak of such things in the future! I guess I should of been less ignorant and read the rules first. Thank you by the way for the helpful posts about my plight but I did manage to figure it out just before coming back to the forums for another read.

edit: Oh! One last thing about "piracy" before I shut my yapper about it. I noticed during my trial run with the game that a message appears eventually saying something along the lines of. "The RNG may know you are playing a pirated copy of this game, let the paranoia begin!" or something like that. Who's idea was it to include that and how is it that the game detects the fact that it has been pirated? Would also like to ask, why not just kill the game process at that point? Only reason I ask is because I found it to be rather funny and at the same time unsettling that the game was able to detect that it was in fact pirated and began to wonder what else may be going on in the background if it did know of such activity.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:25:37 PM by colormeblind »

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »

"The RNG may know you are playing a pirated copy of this game, let the paranoia begin!"

my sides

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »

Shhh!

:-X

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »

Although it was a recent thing that started bugging me, i don't know when it was implemented. Showing weapon damage under the weapon in the combat display. When you have five weapongroups with varying settings and playing on 1280x1024, that takes a WHOLE lot of real-estate on screen. Would wish it would be atleast optional, i've been playing enough that i know all the weapons by heart and would like to see more of the pewpew and less of the text. :)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »

I think just a horizontal display (after the weapon name, instead of under) that goes KNT, EXP, FRG, and ENG would be nice

then for modded damage types we can define our own abbreviations
mmm.... tartiflette

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »

Although it was a recent thing that started bugging me, i don't know when it was implemented. Showing weapon damage under the weapon in the combat display. When you have five weapongroups with varying settings and playing on 1280x1024, that takes a WHOLE lot of real-estate on screen. Would wish it would be atleast optional, i've been playing enough that i know all the weapons by heart and would like to see more of the pewpew and less of the text. :)

That's a suggestion, unrelated to the release. Take it to to the suggestion subforum.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 14, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »

Any word on 0.62a yet?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15