Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 158490 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 09:39:18 AM »

For further discussion of that idea please open a new suggestion thread.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Carabus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 10:00:33 AM »

Very nice list of changes, great job Alex!
I especially like the change to frigate peak active performance, it went in exactly the direction I wished!

Any planned changes to marines and boarding?

Marines have practically no use now because they are actually less efficient than regular crew (they consume 10x more supplies while being only 7x as strong). Their only advantage is that they take less passenger space, but since you don't need that extra passenger space for anything else, as it is separated from cargo space, you can just fill it with regular crew and forget about marines.

So it seems to me that Marines need drastical reduction of supply consumpion to be brought back to balance.

Another issue is the rarity of boarding events, and a very small chance for them to success. This coupled with very high upkeep costs of boarding crews means that boarding is no longer a viable strategy, while in previous versions boarding actions added a lot of satisfaction to the game.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:04:06 AM by Carabus »

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »

I agree with Carabus. Since 0.6a I'm not keeping marines around anymore.
The unemployment and career centers in Starsector are overflowing with depressed space marines.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »

Yeah, Marines are basically not worth having atm.  Even with a big nerf in their cost-effectiveness, anything that contributes that much constant drain either needs to see a lot more use or it's just not worth bothering with.

On that note... Alex, a smallish Idea:  don't just change their cost-effectiveness, but also make the number of Marines have an influence on how much Loot we get.  Positive feedback loop ftw; if Capture events will remain rare, this will be a good second-best and give them a core role :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2013, 11:39:13 AM »

Quote from: Alex
All fleets (including the player's) now start with CR at the maximum level

Question on this; since I believe currently max CR is based, per-ship, on the overall experience of its crew, how do you plan to implement this? Will the experience simply not be a factor when calculating max CR? Or will the max CR decrease from the maximum based on new pieces of information that currently aren't being used for that purpose? Will the crew's experience provide some other CR-based bonus instead?

Also, I'm loving the idea of the "ignore nebula" nav buoy change, and the "active peak performance" change. Fantastic stuff as always Alex. Most importantly, thanks for listening to our feedback, you must be reading hundreds of posts a day!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »

Marines just need to stop eating so much Logistics.  I would rather have a few extra ships in the fleet or more crew to level up.  I do not keep more marines than my sacrificial shuttle can carry.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 11:53:21 AM »

Question on this; since I believe currently max CR is based, per-ship, on the overall experience of its crew, how do you plan to implement this? Will the experience simply not be a factor when calculating max CR? Or will the max CR decrease from the maximum based on new pieces of information that currently aren't being used for that purpose? Will the crew's experience provide some other CR-based bonus instead?
At a guess... Crew skill will help determine how fast CR degrades?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »

That's actually not a bad idea. Could have a multiplier on per-deployment CR cost based on ship's crew's experience.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »

About marines and boarding: those are on my list of things to adjust. Currently thinking or reducing marine upkeep and increasing the base boarding chance substantially, but need to play with it some.

Ah - what I meant there is they'll start at the maximum CR *for that crew/captain*. Right now they just start at 50% CR. In 0.6a, a ship with a regular crew and a captain with, say, 2 Combat aptitude will start out at 64% CR. It's not exactly a huge difference, but it's cleaner, and the initial supply consumption looks much less scary since you're not immediately in "recovering CR" mode.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2013, 12:19:57 PM »

Ah - what I meant there is they'll start at the maximum CR *for that crew/captain*. Right now they just start at 50% CR. In 0.6a, a ship with a regular crew and a captain with, say, 2 Combat aptitude will start out at 64% CR. It's not exactly a huge difference, but it's cleaner, and the initial supply consumption looks much less scary since you're not immediately in "recovering CR" mode.

That's a bigger factor than one might imagine. When I first started this version and saw my supplies dwindle by about 30% of my total per day, I assumed that to be the normal rate and the system to be much more brutal than it really is.

BTW, the second in command is a bit too inept, I think. Just had two phase frigates (~40%CR) let a lone 0% Phaeton escape unscathed.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »

Seeing how the second in command gets rarely used nowadays, i think i could only use him in pursuit, i just end up manual-ing all the fights. Seeing how CR prevents me from having 50 fights every ten minutes now, it's become manageable to fight every fight.

Gibbatron

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »

ITU is superior to the DTC, but it also requires a fairly significant skill investment and the range boost is middling on smaller ships. Unstable Injectors require no skill investment, have the same OP costs, provide the same speed boost and are arguably better as they don't leave you adrift for most of the battle if your engines are shot out.

I thought that was the point? Since they don't stack, the DTU is meant to be a less efficient early game version of the ITU.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2013, 03:45:20 PM »

The few times I tried second-in-command, it lets the ships escape that I would have no problem disabling if I did it myself.  I have resigned to manual every pursuit with a Hyperion.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »

And if patch notes stick, both engine upgrade mods will not stack.  Unstable Injector (no unlock required) is better than Augmented Engines (requires Tech skill 7), due to adding maneuverability and having a less dangerous drawback.

Madgamer13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2013, 05:30:14 PM »

I found augmented engines to be far better for side movement on frigates than the injector.  I noted particular badassery with the hound, equipped with an augmented engine hullmod.  Replacing it with an injector almost always got it killed instead, unless I did strafing runs like it was a fighter.

Maybe that is the purpose of augmented engines?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15