Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 158460 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 07:58:05 AM »

Might be also worth re-checking Auxiliary Thrusters - just a bit cheaper than Injector OP-wise, but nowhere near as useful (even considering that it has no drawbacks except OP cost).

Actually, maybe it's just Injector that's too good? Available from start & more speed+acceleration than 2 other mobility hullmods combined. While injector's drawback sounds scary in theory, even AI-piloted ships don't seem to have much problems with it.

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 08:02:23 AM »

Alex just a string issue to add here but is it possible to have the (Race)"Supply convoy is in system" message changed either to:

A) Stipulate which system it has entered (useful but might get out of control with many convoys)

or

B) Only announce if the player, convoy and destination are all in the same system (more manageable but less informative)

I know you have a lot to work on that's more obviously important but I'm thinking ahead while you're in a fix cycle :D

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 08:04:07 AM »

ITU is superior to the DTC, but it also requires a fairly significant skill investment and the range boost is middling on smaller ships. Unstable Injectors require no skill investment, have the same OP costs, provide the same speed boost and are arguably better as they don't leave you adrift for most of the battle if your engines are shot out.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 08:08:05 AM »

About Augmented Engines: yeah, need to think about it a little bit, but they need a buff. I'm not 100% on making them mutually exclusive, still want to mess around with it a bit - probably shouldn't have put that in these notes.

Very cool. The sheer amount of work you get done is astonishing sometimes... you sure you're staying sane?

Not entirely positive. But thanks :)

From the .6 thread:

Although it isn't possible anymore to double the deceleration by pushing S and C at the same time, strafing (either SHIFT+A/D or Q/E) at 90° angle and decelerating (C) still give that bonus.

Right, I don't think that's a bug/problem. S+C was since they were conceptually very similar things, and were further really easy to line up.

Alex, is there any chance we can get the turn rate back on the info panel for a ship?

... although I'm not sure where you'd put it ...

Right, so, probably not. It also wasn't very accurate; there were some very arbitrary numbers flying around that depended on the ship size etc.

B) Only announce if the player, convoy and destination are all in the same system (more manageable but less informative)

IIRC that's how it works. Are you running info cases where it doesn't do that?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »

And so, after months of collective anticipation, waiting, delight, desperation and finally the birth of a new version, we lay the 0.6a thread to rest. The release thread is dead, long live the release thread! May this one live a fulfilled but short life and die young.

By the way, do you suppose there is at least a chance of the new ship(s?) making it in time for 0.6.1a release? There was talk about a carrier...

Oh, and maybe teach the Wolf AI to only skip when in combat or on an assignment. ...Except in pursuit scenarios. Mh.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:02:29 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 08:17:46 AM »

Augmented Engines require rank 7 in a Technology skill, just like ITU (which is also a must-have mod for all of my combat ships, except Hyperion).  Unlike ITU, I have no reason to use Augmented Engines instead of Unstable Injector.  It is great for stacking with Unstable Injector for all of my cruisers and battleships.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 08:24:47 AM »

About Augmented Engines: yeah, need to think about it a little bit, but they need a buff. I'm not 100% on making them mutually exclusive, still want to mess around with it a bit - probably shouldn't have put that in these notes.
How about leaving them as they are but adding an additional drawback when you have both equipped? No idea what this drawback might be, but I'm sure you could think of something to balance out the speed boost from stacking these hull mods.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 08:29:12 AM »

Right, so, probably not. It also wasn't very accurate; there were some very arbitrary numbers flying around that depended on the ship size etc.
That's just setting yourself up for a "But then give us an accurate one' right there  ::)

While we're on the Ship Info panel, fighters show the cargo/fuel/fuel usage, at 0. Are they even allowed to have those?
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 08:30:14 AM »

The downside of Augmented Engines is very severe.  If they flameout, the ship is as good as dead unless it has engine repair boosts.

EDIT - The lack of OP from stacking both engine mods is enough of a drawback.  I cannot use as many weapons, capacitors, and/or vents if I stack both of them.  I need max Combat (for Optimized Assembly perk) and high Technology to get (not quite) enough OP to use both engine mods and other goodies.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:41:06 AM by Megas »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2013, 09:13:54 AM »

I just noticed that phase ships don't get a speed boost while phased like it said in the patchnotes. Changed your mind or a bug?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2013, 09:18:06 AM »

I just noticed that phase ships don't get a speed boost while phased like it said in the patchnotes. Changed your mind or a bug?
Somewhere else - I forget where - Alex mentioned that he had a hard time getting the speed boost to display properly.  Personally, I don't care if it displays properly - I want that speed boost back!  Plus it's great fun to have level 10 helmsmanship and skip in and out of phase to get both phasing speed and zero flux boost - or skip into phase for faster travel through a nebula.  (MShadowy's mod implemented the phasing speed boost, so that's where I've been playing around with it.  It doesn't matter much on frigates, but it's a huge quality of life improvement for a phase cruiser.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »

I really like the mutually exclusive change. Its just very silly to stack them both and get rediculous speeds, i do it all the time but i'd like to have better options. 120 speed apogee tyvm.

I think it would work as a nice way to swap out "engine types", if the two were more different. Maybe unstable injector is unstable in that the speed bonus it gives varies slightly during a fight. Maybe the speed could vary with flux.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2013, 09:21:45 AM »

I really like the mutually exclusive change. Its just very silly to stack them both and get rediculous speeds, i do it all the time but i'd like to have better options. 120 speed apogee tyvm.

I think it would work as a nice way to swap out "engine types", if the two were more different. Maybe unstable injector is unstable in that the speed bonus it gives varies slightly during a fight. Maybe the speed could vary with flux.
Ooh, I like that.  Unstable Injector's bonus decreases with increasing flux levels?  Yes!  That would be awesome!

...Augmented Engines still needs less of a drawback, though.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »

Somewhere else - I forget where - Alex mentioned that he had a hard time getting the speed boost to display properly.

Now I remember, thanks for the reminder.

Coupling Unstable Injector with flux level sounds good to me, too.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 09:36:32 AM »

To iterate on that, how about the inverse?

Unstable Injectors provide no bonus at 0-flux but as flux increases, they provide as speedboost as the excess flux is rammed through the engines in an afterburner fashion. The modifications leave the ship's power systems so integrated with the engines, however, that overloads run an immense risk of causing flameouts as well due to the engines being suddenly choked of the extra power and "skipping a beat".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15