Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Buffalo MkII's revenge: A competition for the foolish!  (Read 13638 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Buffalo MkII's revenge: A competition for the foolish!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 10:21:55 AM »

Impressive!  I didn't think it would be quite possible to flank the Onslaught enough to win, 1-on-1, but the Nebula trick is sweet, nice protip :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »

Spoiler

[close]

I'm done here.
Dang it! You beat me to it!
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »

I'm really struggling with the Conquest... The bastard keeps firing torpedoes at me while he's overloaded!
I'll get it though... Mark my words * Fist shake*

Hotshot3434

• Ensign
  • "Time For Some Thrilling Heroics"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 05:28:15 PM »

I WAS going to post my victory over a Dominator, but that just seems trivial. Anyway, I am currently in the process of trying to best a Doom class ship. I am quickly discovering that this task my be impossible thanks to the two heavy blasters that are almost always in range thanks to their hefty arc. Wish me luck!

*UPDATE*   After 20-30 attempts the best i have gotten is to hit the Doom with 1 annihilator rocket. MAKING PROGRESS!!!!
*UPDATE #2* After a further 30-40 tries i have been able to get the Doom to 1/2 hull until I ran out of missiles. I have decided to admit defeat. I will leave my strategy below so that others may learn from my mistakes.

Spoiler
My most successful strategy was to attach an annihilator rocket pod to the large forward missile mount and rain rockets at the Doom. The AI would cloak the ship any time it felt threatened by the rockets, thus generating flux. Once it overloaded i would spam either torpedoes or harpoon missiles until (hopefully) the Doom was destroyed. Unfortunately due to the high flux dissipation rate of the Doom the overload only lasts a few seconds. When it comes off of overload your best chance of surviving is for the two heavy cannons to not be online. To attempt to counter this i installed two ion cannons to the front mounts. I have yet to survive past a single overload due to either running out of missiles or getting caught out by the superior speed and maneuverability of the Doom. I hope my trials will help you to defeat this monster. Good Luck!
[close]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:31:20 PM by Hotshot3434 »

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »

Spoiler

[close]

I'm done here.

...i am staggered. Question - does this mean ion cannons are super OP? I haven't used any yet, should I fit out my entire fit with ion cannons?

Edit: oh *** sorry for necroing. A new topic linked this one and I was so awestruck i didnt check the timestamp. But yeah, ion cannons ftw?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:03:02 PM by Argh »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »

Eh... its more that Gothars is OP. As long as his mind isn't distilled into the AI the game should be fine ;)
Pages: 1 [2]