Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Gamebreaking "Dire Straits" bug?  (Read 5164 times)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Gamebreaking "Dire Straits" bug?
« on: February 11, 2012, 08:20:42 AM »

So it finally looked like i was going to win Dire Straits. 4 of the Hegemony freighters had retreated and i was piloting the "Blackstar" to the top of the screen so it could escape. That is a mission criteria. When i got to the top of the map, through masterful dodging and strategic venting. I ordered the Blackstar to escape and leaned  back to watch the "You're victorious" message pop up... But it never did :'( Nor did any "Your defeated" message pop up. And i had to end the match after like 15 minutes of waiting to surrender, and thereby lose. Does anyone know what is wrong? Am i mistaking who the Hegemony forces are? (Im guessing its the freighters and the Atlas) Or is this simply a stupid bug that just cost me my rightfully earned win? Please answer.

EDIT: Figured some of the other ships was also Hegemony. But still 4/14 escaped and that is over 25%

EDIT 2: Darn those typos.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:27:39 PM by Faiter119 »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Gamebreaking "Dire Straits" bug?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »

Ok just WTF. Managed to get 6-7 Hegemony ships to escape. 4-5 freighters and 2 hound-classes. Also the Blackstar escaped soundly. But somehow the match did not automatically give me the win and when i eventually surrendered i said i won but i got 0% WTF is this nonsense. This must surely be a glitch.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »

Hmm. Well, the win criteria is 25% by fleet points, not in actual numbers. I think a 0% win means that you got just the bare minimum away - so it's a win, but not much of one.

Ok just WTF. Managed to get 6-7 Hegemony ships to escape. 4-5 freighters and 2 hound-classes. Also the Blackstar escaped soundly. But somehow the match did not automatically give me the win and when i eventually surrendered i said i won but i got 0% WTF is this nonsense. This must surely be a glitch.

This could mean you still have some reserves deployed - the battle won't end until either 1) you don't have any reserves left or 2) you can't deploy them because the enemy controls every objective on the map.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »

Hmm. Well, the win criteria is 25% by fleet points, not in actual numbers. I think a 0% win means that you got just the bare minimum away - so it's a win, but not much of one.

This could mean you still have some reserves deployed - the battle won't end until either 1) you don't have any reserves left or 2) you can't deploy them because the enemy controls every objective on the map.

Well all my ship had escaped and they had all the points. I dont even know anymore.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 09:16:13 AM »

Let's see if it pops up in the next release - I remember running into it once, but do believe I fixed up the logic. It was a while ago, though.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »

Well the total number of Hegemony fleet points are 127 points. 25% of 127 is rounded up to 32 points that need to escape. I always manage to get 4 of the Valkyrie-Class troop transport to escape. Thats 36 points. Which should fulfill that criteria. Also my Blackstar escapes easily early in the match by my piloting. That there is all the criteria needed for me to win that level with a margin of 2 points. At some cases. I have also gotten some of the Hounds to escape at the same time, making it even more confirmed that I am supposed to win this level. This is really starting to get on my nerve. Hoping this will get fixed or something in 0.5 as i despise seeing that 0% taunting me every time i look at the missions.

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »

Well the total number of Hegemony fleet points are 127 points. 25% of 127 is rounded up to 32 points that need to escape. I always manage to get 4 of the Valkyrie-Class troop transport to escape. Thats 36 points. Which should fulfill that criteria. Also my Blackstar escapes easily early in the match by my piloting. That there is all the criteria needed for me to win that level with a margin of 2 points. At some cases. I have also gotten some of the Hounds to escape at the same time, making it even more confirmed that I am supposed to win this level. This is really starting to get on my nerve. Hoping this will get fixed or something in 0.5 as i despise seeing that 0% taunting me every time i look at the missions.

Dont let it get on your nerves, its an alpha. Explaining the problem is good incase there is a bug, but letting it bug you will only cause you to go insane!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »

Well the total number of Hegemony fleet points are 127 points.

Looks like it's 158, unless I miscounted... :) I think the 25% is working right, but there's a sporadic issue where it won't recognize that the battle is over when it in fact is. I'll have to take another look at that.

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:57:56 PM »

I can verify this bug for the current version 0.3~ something.

61, (or was it 51 - I can't remember.) points worth of ships retreated, and I got a 0% Pyrrhic victory.  All points were captured by enemy at end.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 02:04:48 AM »

I can verify this bug for the current version 0.3~ something.

61, (or was it 51 - I can't remember.) points worth of ships retreated, and I got a 0% Pyrrhic victory.  All points were captured by enemy at end.

Thats just what happened to me.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »

Ahh, there was an issue w/ the score computation. It would only give you a score above 0 if you won with >50% escaping, while 25% gave you a "win". Changed it so that now >50% is needed to get a win.

The mission might finally start living up to its name :)