Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tradewinds 0.3  (Read 26914 times)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Tradewinds 0.3
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »

(Backstory: I made some big claims aaaages ago - now, finally, I have something ingame and working! 0.6a helped a lot in this regard)

Current version: 0.3
Compiled Mod
Source

Tradewinds:

This mod adds a variety of commodities that can be carried from place to place across the sector.  All of the (two) core systems are supported, along with a variety of additional systems, and each system has a different set of prices for certain goods.  Additionally, some extra trade-fleets can be found plying the spacelanes, delivering these goods to random stations.  If you are of a piratical bent, you can destroy them to recover their loot.

Screenshot (oh so exciting trading screen! It's hard to get an action packed screenshot for this mod...):

License is CC-attribution-WTF at the moment, as in: I'd like to be credited, but otherwise you can do whatever you want with it. Do note that the graphics are a derivative work based on starsector core graphics, so this license does not apply to them - they still belong to Alex / David / Fractal Softworks.

Notes:
Balance is still shaky, and arguable.  There's also not yet much you can DO with these resources EXCEPT sell them (hopefully for more than you got them).  Also if you have no idea how much something is supposed to cost, you'll always get the medium 'default' price if you check in hyperspace.

Also... I found and fixed rather a lot of crash bugs in this before deciding it was ready.  There is a reasonable chance I missed at least one.  If you find one, then my apologies - please let me know about it and ideally post the exception from the starfarer.log.  Thanks!

Changelog:
0.2 - Improved resource handling in stations and trade fleets that aren't the player.  Also now supports hyperspace! (There isn't anywhere to trade IN hyperspace yet... but if there were, it would now be supported. It's set to medium prices for everything, so if you want to see the 'base' price, check there!)
0.2b - Removed dependency on Corvus and Askonia existing.
0.2c - fixed bug introduced by 0.2 where the mod would crash in unfamiliar systems.  Added Mirage and Seiiki to the supported systems list.
0.3 - Broke saves, Expanded range of prices, added item descriptions, added daily price fluctuations, added random chance to permanantly change the price of a certain good in a random system - potentially by a lot! Also loads of bugfixes, crash fixes, and generally better code.

Future plans:
0.35 - refine events, make them temporary, add cargo removal for notsoldhere and massive-demand events.
0.4 - Add stopgap goods sinks - stations get rid of some of their goods after a while
0.5 - Add feature to combine high tech, low tech and agri-goods to make supplies, add an item that you jettison to spawn the interaction?  Also do this for Reactive Gasses + Refined Infernium
0.6 - Add systems, stations in those systems which add a specific type of cargo
0.7 - Upgrade Cargo fleets: fly between systems, initially buying what is cheap in their home system and flying to somewhere pre-set that it is expensive, and then selling and buying a cheap good instead.  Don't just randomly wander off and despawn
0.8 - Other fleets are spawned with / generate resources-loot when they are defeated.

1.0 - Cargo fleets that look at the price table, pick a cheap good to buy, an expensive place to sell, and go there automatically.
1.1 - Dynamic pricing based on evaluation of all goods in a given system.

(Of course, the order of these and whether I actually do them may well change depending on how hard and how fun they are, but that's my plan at the moment!)

Credits: David, for the brilliant crate and fuel tank sprites that I have used for various other goods.  Alex - for making Starsector's modding API a joy to use, and of course for Starsector itself.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:26:06 PM by Darloth »

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tradewinds
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 06:25:20 PM »

New Release:

Version 0.2!

This is the first publicly playable version - all of the basics you might expect from trading are now live!

See more details and a roadmap in the first post.  (Mods - please move this to the Mods folder, if you wouldn't mind?)

Edit: Also, the crates don't look as good as my first set.  Certainly I'm not as happy about the medical crate :(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:40:18 PM by Darloth »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »

Is it mod-agnostic; i.e., can we drop it in to a project and expect it to work? 

Or is it relying on SectorEntityAPI object references when building the initial functionality?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:26:07 AM »

There are currently two dependencies, one expecting Corvus and Askonia, just to put some more resources where I know people can find them, the other on the independent fleet definitions.

The first is a 10 second job to remove, just add a check to see if they exist, but the second will take quite a bit more effort, as it's pretty much impossible to spawn trade fleets without knowing what they are.

I can work around that by splitting it into two mods, a trade library part and then a Corvus specific implementation - then other mods can copy that and provide their own trade fleet spawning functions.

That will take a while though,  and is at about 0.9 in my planned ranking,  so if you want me to write a bespoke version for a specific total conversion, let me know - it shouldn't take long.  You're also welcome to do it yourself if you prefer, just look for the fleet spawner and put in something reasonable.

Either way I will remove the Corvus system dependency next version.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:52:27 AM »

That's actually a lot better than I feared.  I'll try and take a look at this tonight after work... I've been writing a "universal" fleet spawning system that's mod-agnostic and this would fit right in.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »

That's actually a lot better than I feared.

:D

I need to create a Universal fleet spawn system for the framework aswell

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 12:05:27 PM »

That's actually a lot better than I feared.  I'll try and take a look at this tonight after work... I've been writing a "universal" fleet spawning system that's mod-agnostic and this would fit right in.

Ooh, that sounds useful.  Hope it goes well, I'd be interested to see it.

I have updated the mod to 0.2b, which is a tiny change that just doesn't do anything with corvus or askonia if it can't find them - this should remove that dependency.

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Tradewinds 0.2b
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 09:50:24 AM »

Man I really want to try this but it seems incompatible with every mod that I have tried(except restock2.6). All the updated mods that work with 6a(bushi,hiigaran etc) will crash if I have this installed and try to use any of them.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tradewinds 0.2b
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »

That is odd, but here, try this new version instead (links in first post updated) - I found and fixed a few more crashes.  I can confirm it now works with junk pirates and Gedune, but I haven't tried Bushi yet.

Will try it and report back.  Thanks for posting, it helps a lot with the motivation to keep working on it! :)

Edit: Ahh, I know.  Sorry, I had added a feature to change the prices of stuff sitting in stations automatically, but it would crash if it tried to do this in a system it didn't know about.  I have now added a feature where any station not listed in the pricemap is automatically assigned medium prices for everything.  As an aside, I also added Seiiki and Mirage to the list of systems with specific prices.

Hmm... adding bushi suggests that there really ought to be a category for NotForSale.
I may add that later.  For now, they'll buy agriculturals and medical supplies despite these being almost entirely useless to androids!

I have confirmed it works with:
Bushi
Gedune
Junk Pirates
Shadowyards Heavy Industries
Kadur Theocracy

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:25:46 PM by Darloth »

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tradewinds 0.3
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 08:54:58 PM »

New version out:

This one is significantly better than the previous, with a much wider range of potential prices.  It also has random events which will permanantly change the price of a given good in a certain system, so over time the prices for the sector will end up completely differently to how they started - and these events may happen to systems without preset prices as well!

Please try it out and let me know what you think!

Aaand, a missed bug already! "have have decreased" or similar is known and should be fixed in the next version.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:36:57 PM by Darloth »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 05:50:58 AM »

Darloth, Care to come work for me with my mod BattleFarer Forever?
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 06:08:35 AM »

111 mb for a savegame? I do NOT want to know how large your fleet is. x)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 08:29:46 AM »

Darloth, Care to come work for me with my mod BattleFarer Forever?
Unless you can offer salary I'm afraid I don't think I have the free time. :) Hope it all goes well though.

111 mb for a savegame? I do NOT want to know how large your fleet is. x)
For that particular save, I think it's a few frigates. I can't tell anymore because it doesn't even load - but suffice to say you really should never keep a CampaignUIAPI reference as an instance variable.

Anybody have any feedback in general? Is it possible to make a living as a trader? I can manage it because I know where all the prices are low and high to start with, not to mention actually I have just remembered I didn't put that small fix in and it's still filling the abandoned stations with tens or hundreds of thousands of credits worth of loot... eheh... another one for next version methinks - but I'd like to know if it feels reasonable for people who have never tried it before!

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 08:44:39 AM »

Well after the last update it is not working with my current save. The version before worked and when I update it, now it crashes on load. Haven't tried it with the same mods + new game or just by itself but the last version worked fine with all my current mods.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 08:46:49 AM »

No feedback here yet. I haven't had time to test it yet, but once my new star systems are done I will. :)

Pages: [1] 2