Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 0.6 so far for me  (Read 4135 times)

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
0.6 so far for me
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:26:21 AM »

Some of these might be from simply not knowing how to play!

- Constantly running out of supplies either to lack of cargo space or not being able to catch anything. As soon as i go into cruisers i can't catch anything except the big fleets that overpower me.

- CR makes me wait after combat just to watch the CR bar fill back up, that leads into the first problem above where i spend too much supply and not being able to sustainably recover it.

- CR in combat - as soon as battle goes over the optimal performance timer i might aswel quit because i keep getting malfunctions. Yes i know CR is low but if i wait for CR to come back up i run out of supplies.

- Supply and fuel costs - too high? I can't affort to buy them all the time, maybe im just doing it wrong?

- Repairs + CR is too big of a supply hit, supply just evaporates.

- Can't see crew requirements while buying crew. When i buy a new ship i need to leave the shop screen and go into fleet screen to mouseover the ? icon and find the skeleton crew line in the messy list of the tooltip and then come back and calculate how much crew i need across all ships to get them all manned.

- Really need a better way to see crews on ships in space and shops.

- Can't zoom out far enough to be confortable. Need more zoom out.

- Can't unpause while looking at map in space. Need that allowed. <3

- In space when i go into inventory the bottom-left frames expand. Any way to keep these expanded outside of inventory screen?

- Text based pre- and post-battle manouvers (send salvate teams, pursue, etc...) are a bit awkward, would be nice to have some sort scheme or visual cue. Some coloured circles schematic or something?

-New sounds are awesome, tho it seems all sound the same somewhat, not much differentiation between different weapon types but maybe it's just me. overall awesome.

- Improved UI tho there's new problems with it. Overall greately improved.

Suggestions:

- Tie CR to crew. Implement a "skeleton crew vs optimal crew" dial where CR is gained faster if the ship has optimal crew as opposed to skeleton crew. Crew rank also affects both the gain and maximum CR. Supplies should go to repairs and rearms.

-Add an Auto-Sort checkbox in inventory screens, would be sweet <3

- "Auto-fire" on shield, can't fire, manouver and turn the omni shield at the same time :( Would be nice to let the AI turn the shield around to absorb the 20 missiles flying at me. I ALWAYS go for front shield + extended shield because i really don't like controlling the omni shield on top of the rest.

- Have you thought about a third crew type Engineer Crew; that doesn't count towards ship crew requirement (like marines) but work towards repairing/CR? What about having crew dependent on the hull, installed mods and equipment? Having a cruiser with fewer weapons or mods would require less crew?

- Have you thought about "Elite" ships that need higher crew requirements as opposed to their normal couterparts? Or anything similar.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 0.6 so far for me
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:10:10 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! Wrote a couple of things down :)

An "engineer" crew type is a really neat idea, will keep that one in mind.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:28:26 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! Wrote a couple of things down :)

An "engineer" crew type is a really neat idea, will keep that one in mind.
I will +1 to the "auto fire" for omni shields! I find them worthless to use and only like them when their arc is 150+ because it means that I can get full coerage
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »

definitely on board with the shields.. the AI can easily shoot one direction fly in a second direction and deploy its shield in a third direction..

I can barely fly in one direction while keeping my shield pointed in a second direction.. then if IM also shooting guns i cant then point them in a third direction.  the only way i can do it remotely is to give the ai control of all my turreted weapons and then control the shield and just fly. i would like the option to work that the other way around sometimes.. where i control the guns and the flying but the AI controls the shields.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 07:00:42 AM »

I think supply consumption is too high when combined with the still small cargo spaces of ships and the increased cost of supplies.  2.9 supplies a day to start with means you're going about 360 credits in the hole every day and when combined with the 'wait and see' thing that CR requires you to do it can be a bit frustrating.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:49:46 AM »

definitely on board with the shields.. the AI can easily shoot one direction fly in a second direction and deploy its shield in a third direction..

I can barely fly in one direction while keeping my shield pointed in a second direction.. then if IM also shooting guns i cant then point them in a third direction.  the only way i can do it remotely is to give the ai control of all my turreted weapons and then control the shield and just fly. i would like the option to work that the other way around sometimes.. where i control the guns and the flying but the AI controls the shields.

Alternatively, or in addition, allow us to set an angle, and have the shield go to it. This bound to ship rotation, or not, uncertain (or both optional)
Activate control, click somehow, and the shield will automatically rotate to that angle, with no more control needed.

You can pause, set a new angle, and get some control that way, without interrupting weapons.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:59:10 AM »

Thing is, shield locking - especially on small, nimble ships - is even trickier. I've tried it, and it felt like a complete mess.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:25:17 AM »

Thing is, shield locking - especially on small, nimble ships - is even trickier. I've tried it, and it felt like a complete mess.

With that in mind, well, there are several ways you could do it, and allowing all three options (Ship rotation bound, and not, as well as shield AI) would compensate. You can always pause the game and set a new destination anyway
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Jazzrish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »

go Askonia and get yourself some ox-class tugs, one can always up the burn level from 3 to 7 without any talent points invested.
sorry for my english..