Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Im a noob and i want a noobish difficulty setting  (Read 6374 times)

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Im a noob and i want a noobish difficulty setting
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 04:41:15 AM »

What is the deal with the burn penalty right after combat? My burn is reduced to 1 for about 10 seconds before it returns to normal. Anyone else getting this?

It is intended.

Perfect. So it's intended for you to get mobbed by 10 other fleets after you attack one? I fail to see the sense in that design decision.

It's supposed to let the loser of the fight get some distance from the winner so they're not instantly doomed to harass->harass->harass->repeat till CR is gone->pursuit loop. The loops still works, but there's more distance covered by the runner because they get a burn boost and the harasser gets a burn penalty.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 07:55:29 AM »

Well it's really easily explainable: the fleet has stopped to recover loot and scraps for a day, making it vulnerable to attacks.

Psygnosis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »

http://pxlbyte.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Dont-touch-me-you-filthy-casual.jpg

Jokes aside. Yes StarSector is pretty unforgiving at the start. It would do with a basic "Contingency and battle tactics" booklet.

A few basic things; At the start its not worth settling for less than 6.0 Maximum burn. The reason for this is that most of the fleets you will have issues with at 2-4 MB. While you will also want to be catching several 4.0 MB fleets (anything with a buffalo in it)

As for "too much loot" The Hound is a very light freighter, (MB: 8?) and can hold a good amount of cargo. and wont slow the fleet down.
Theyre not the best in combat, so its normally a safe play to not deploy them. but when it comes to it you can deploy them (just make sure you have a long range weapon equipped)

Brawlers to start off with are not the best ships due to their lower MB. They might look nice from a survivability and damage PoV. but that isnt going to get you very far with the big fleets breathing down your neck.

Excalibur Bane; As far as the post-combat penalty goes. you want to pick your fights a little better. make sure youre aware of your surroundings. (you can zoom out a little further than default)
Also if youre having alot of trouble you should post your current fleet. and perhaps loadouts, we might be able to help a little better.
In Lasher vs Lasher combat there are 2 default lasher builds. One is a pretty easy counter (Salamander + LAG's) you just have to play it safe and wait for him to run out of missiles before you pile on the pressure. The second (LDAC's and Harpoons) is a bit of a tougher cookie, the kinetic autocannons will chip your shields away and the Harpoons are just evil.
(Huh, funny that, the codex lists 6 variants but ive only ever seen the Standard and Close support)

noob_i_am; the brawler is designed as more of an assault ship. Its the hardest hitting frigate you can buy. however it makes sacrifices with its lack of PD. Most of the T1 or T1.5 frigates are like this (having to trade various features for others)

DatonKallandor; Giving away a free freighter is very.. hmm. Too easy? perhaps a suggestion to the player would be better. Since theyre is often always a hound for sale. Hounds are the best early freighter. As they wont impact your MB much (if at all) while carrying a good amount of cargo. They can also be used in combat in a pinch, Their only real downside is the lack of cargo space when compared to a Buffalo or (the massive blue one that the buffalo is apparently based off) however those two will impact your MB.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 11:47:35 PM »

Hounds really are not good freighters - in fact giving them to a new player or suggesting he buy them is not helping him. It's hurting him.
They're expensive for their cargo space, won't help at all when carrying the loot of even a single buffalo 2 and a new player is likely to lose them in combat.
Hounds are weapons for expert players who know how to configure them and that they're very likely to be a fodder you lose in any really heavy fight (hopefully with enough gain to offset the losses).

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 11:51:30 PM »

when you buy a hound you're not paying for the cargo space, you're paying for the speed

if you don't mind slugging around unable to catch the small fleets, then sure Tarsii are your ship of choice

but for speed, the hound and the hound only
mmm.... tartiflette

rex

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 04:17:53 AM »

I don't know what a noon with 1 frigate and 1 freighter would be able to catch and kill, and there is plenty of threats that would be faster than them.

The very first thing I would do is sell it.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »

The standard threat however wouldn't be. A frigate with a burn 4 freighter goes burn 5 because any freighter should come stock with injectors/augmented engines and removing them should be something left to experienced players. that would let it outrun most pirate fleets including the favorite (and pretty much only) viable prey of a new game - the Burn 4 Buffalo 2.

Also the fact we've got no real frigate sized freighter just shows that it's a thing that's missing. The tanker progression starts at frigate, so should the freighter progression. Hand one of them out at the start and you solve several problems at once: Killing a lone buffalo doesn't waste almost all the supplies because you're overloaded, new players aren't left too slow and in danger and a new player quickly learns how the deployment system works - and that it's perfectly okay not to deploy everything (like that frigate sized freighter).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:10:34 AM by DatonKallandor »
Pages: 1 [2]