Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: capturing mothballed ships  (Read 1922 times)

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
capturing mothballed ships
« on: September 14, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »

How does one do it? I have a save where I am on top of a gemini with a mothballed paragon and would like to capture it but in pursuit phase the paragon deploys and either retreats or I kill it. how do I board it? I would have sworn somewhere I heard that you can capture mothballed ships which is how you raid convoys for new ships....or so I thought anyways

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: capturing mothballed ships
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 04:18:14 PM »

You have to destroy it and hope to get lucky with the chance to board it. Boarding itself is very easy, in my case it only had two crew.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 04:28:53 PM »

is there any extra chance to board because it's mothballed? I just looked back and I guess I just sorta assumed mothballed ships would be automatically captured/easier to capture. I do feel like they should be easier to take over or something, but if not oh well

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »

is there any extra chance to board because it's mothballed? I just looked back and I guess I just sorta assumed mothballed ships would be automatically captured/easier to capture. I do feel like they should be easier to take over or something, but if not oh well
Makes sense.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »

They really ought to be easier to capture... if not completely free frankly.

The concept of mothballing seems to be that they're either barely manned at all or not manned. They wouldn't be able to escape, it doesn't really make sense that they'd be involved in combat, it doesn't even really make sense that they'd self destruct or suffer severe structural damage due to a hard board.

Surely they'd just surrender O.o

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »

yeah that's basically what I was thinking. I remember when I first saw it I thought of raiding convoys to get new ships as well as supplies. then all we'd need was a way to get crew to never need a station again :-) some of us like playing outlaws lol