Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Explain Your Greebling  (Read 7118 times)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Explain Your Greebling
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:07:20 AM »

There has been a few comments recently in the Spriters Judgement Thread, as well as more recently a cool schematic diagram from Valk (in Blackrock thread, I think), all around the function of the sprites as drawn.

Ravendarke is arguing, essentially, that greebles for greebles sake should be avoided.

I have to say, I tend to agree, although I'm probably a bit guilty of falling foul of this from time to time.

So, I ask you to explain, as best as you can, what the greebles within your sprites actually do :)

I'll kick off with a simple one - the Langoustine:

Hopefully if people find it fun to contribute, it will keep some of us entertained by explaining your thought processes, and may even encourage the indiscriminate greeblers from greebling for greeblings sake (not that I am saying this is necessarily a bad thing - the intention is that this topic should be fun and entertaining :)).

A couple of details not shown in the above sketch:

- A high level walkway / cover by the side of the medium front-facing energy mount.
- Underside armour plating (visible near the reactor)

Spoiler
[close]

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Explain Your Greebling
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:55:15 AM »

Mine is really bad tho, there are no arrows pointing where stuff actually is, or what is what and where etc, i dont really know how to make arrows. :P

Here it is tho.

Spoiler
[close]

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:36:56 AM »

Here it is tho.

Love it.

Got to say I'm not sure that the Briefing room, the Dining Hall and the Bridge should be so far away from each other - unless there is some super-efficient means of shuttling the crew about onboard the craft? :D

I love the fact there is a 'Reactor Overcharge Modulator', though. Wish some of my ships had one of them.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:42:38 AM »

I will not reveal the nature of Zorg greebling. No sense in putting the Zorg at a tactical disadvantage by showing its critical systems.  :D

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 05:10:28 AM »

The things aren't exactly where the schematic points them to be, i don't have any arrows to point out where each specific part is on the ship, more in what general direction they are and what part of the ship they are in.  (because i don't know how to make those, please show me :P)

that sprite is also somewhat outdated, it would make more sense now, if someone shows me how to add arrows, like you did on yours mendonca, i would make a new one.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 05:25:16 AM »

if someone shows me how to add arrows, like you did on yours mendonca, i would make a new one.

In Paint.net, when drawing a line there is an option to change the 'end-of-line' detail - so you can add arrow heads etc.

(see spoilered)
Spoiler
[close]

Erick, in fairness, I don't think we are even READY to know about the Zorg greebling. :)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:14:39 AM »

Well.... okay, sure.  Hope this is readable enough.

My favorite ship.  The different color scheme was selected because a) it made things more readable and b) I had it laying around.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »

Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »

They are both awesome :)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »

Just bumping in here to mention that I really like the colour of your ship, MShadowy.
A lot better than the green/cyan colour combination, in my humble opinion. :)

(I dislike cyan, can't help it. Horrible colour.)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 10:46:04 AM »

Well, one of the things I had been planning on doing was making alternate color schemes for the faction; I hadn't been able to go forward on this, however, because the working files for the Enlil and Morningstar wouldn't load properly.  They'd open, but wouldn't display their contents.

Well, that problem has since been solved... by changing my krita repository to a beta distribution, so my graphics program is now 2.8 alpha as opposed to 2.6.  I'm not really sure what exactly the issue was but it's gone now.

Truthfully though, I was actually pondering setting it up so that you could do it in game directly rather than just swapping out different files.  I'd have to talk to LazyWizard probably, but I suspect it should be possible, possibly as an ancillary mod to the main Shadowyards package.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:41:37 AM »

Speaking of alternate colors Shadow, what's with the slightly improved Mimir cruiser? It has a different paint job and a few slightly better stats, yet I can't find it anywhere.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »

I made that to be a Boss for U'sC actually, but haven't quite gotten the boss fleet to Uomoz yet, and to be honest I have no idea if the concept is even going to carry over to the next version.

If not I'll probably just put it in a mission.

E:  And I should probably note that SHI may now have some problems with balance, so Uomoz may decline to include it; part of the problem with including unusual weapons that don't play by the standard rules is that balancing them is that much more difficult.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:10:03 PM by MShadowy »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 12:30:36 AM »

Truthfully though, I was actually pondering setting it up so that you could do it in game directly rather than just swapping out different files.  I'd have to talk to LazyWizard probably, but I suspect it should be possible, possibly as an ancillary mod to the main Shadowyards package.
This is going to be totally practical when 0.6 is out.  IIRC Lazy and Alex discussed some of the practical issues already, looks simple enough.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 12:36:03 AM »

I do enjoy the greebling of ships, very pretty indeed.

It's a shame there are presets of decorative weapons within the core game for ships such as flux vents, hangar doors etc

Alas, I weep
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: [1] 2