Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A ccg.  (Read 7006 times)

Tlee3205

• Ensign
    • View Profile
A ccg.
« on: August 26, 2013, 05:18:26 PM »

Hey guys! I am really in to ccgs and such and I was wondering if I/we could do a starsector ccg? Nothing fancy, just the basic ccg. It would be even better if we could get one professionally done but.. Anyway, thoughts? We could do a small expansion for each game update. Sounds like a fun project. I am not talking a ccg you would find in stores and such just a small one. Would I need Alex's permission? Is anyone interested in this?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: A ccg.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:38:28 PM »

You'd definitely need Alex's permission.  Perhaps come up with a game design for the rule system, etc., first, then pitch?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »

Ummm... what is ccg?

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »

collectible card game

like magic the gathering or yugioh

i agree though, do some designing first then pitch. I wanna see how feasible this is
mmm.... tartiflette

Tlee3205

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 05:41:19 AM »

Okay  :D I was really into ccgs for a while, and I played a couple. Are any of you familiar with deciphers out of print star wars ccg? We could take elements from that. For those of you that aren't familiar, swccg uses site and planet cards. You deploy units from your hand onto the site cards using a set cost of "force". you gain force from each of the sites deployed and each site has a set amount of force you gain per turn. I really don't want to spend hours on this only to find that Alex says no, so I only thought up a few possible simple rules. For example-
~Instead of force you have Fleet points. You don't gain fp per turn. You gain an amount per battles you win. A battle could be done with ship cards which are powered with weapon cards and crew. Each ship card has a set power, weapons slots, and op. For starfighters, power and maneuvers. You also have a shield value for ships with shields. A ship is destroyed when hull points (hp) reaches 0.
For example-

Hound class.
Power 30
Weapon slots 2

Thunder wing.
Power 45
Ion cannon- *insert special text here*
Maneuvers would judge weapon damage. Power determines who wins The higher power wins.  Anyway, each weapon adds power to a ship. Say ion cannon adds 15. Thunder wing would win Since 45+15= higher than 30. You would then gain fleet points based on the experience you get. Lets say a hound "drops" 1 fp. Then you can board a hound based on other rules I haven't made up yet.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:05:27 AM »

Related, what is the chance for flares to distract a missile?

The yugioh card border is not necessary lol just a placeholder/image for me to start with.

Both players turns take place at the same time kinda.

Rules wise i would think that each player would have 60 fleet points with which to play cards, you may play as many cards as you wish in a turn but it is a good idea to have the weapons to equip them first, i will explain why in a moment. Once a card is played one would then proceed to equip the card with weapon cards and hullmod cards. When you equip a weapon to a ship will occupy all available slots of that it can use (so an onslaught equipped with a light machine gun would have all of its slots (large medium and small) occupied but if you were to equip it with hellbore cannons after that they would supersede the smaller weapons).  You can have up to three hullmods on any ship.  After the turn the card is played the ship has to miss turns based on the number of changes being made the size of the weapon, and if the slots are occupied or not.

Is there any chance that someone here would be willing to format my ramblings that would really help me out. :)

I need to go to class soon but I will put more of my ideas (in particular concerning the speed dodge and shield mechanics  after i get back from that.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:23:40 AM by sdmike1 »

Tlee3205

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 01:35:59 PM »

The yugioh card border is not necessary lol just a placeholder/image for me to start with.

Rules wise i would think that each player would have 60 fleet points with which to play cards, you may play as many cards as you wish in a turn but it is a good idea to have the weapons to equip them first, i will explain why in a moment. Once a card is played one would then proceed to equip the card with weapon cards and hullmod cards. When you equip a weapon to a ship will occupy all available slots of that it can use (so an onslaught equipped with a light machine gun would have all of its slots (large medium and small) occupied but if you were to equip it with hellbore cannons after that they would supersede the smaller weapons).  You can have up to three hullmods on any ship.  After the turn the card is played the ship has to miss turns based on the number of changes being made the size of the weapon, and if the slots are occupied or not.

Is there any chance that someone here would be willing to format my ramblings that would really help me out. :)

I need to go to class soon but I will put more of my ideas (in particular concerning the speed dodge and shield mechanics  after i get back from that.

First off.. what? Sorry but I'm really confused. You come here, post, totally ignoring the previous posts and suggest a completely different ruleset. Whatever. If we did this I think we would need a lot more coordination and multiple people working on the ccg. A well done ccg is not a 1 man job. And as to your card itself, I wouldn't use that style. It is a generic boring card. It matches most all other card games. The picture is fuzzy. Sorry if I seem harsh.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »

I might be mis-reading something, and I haven't really seen the star wars ccg, but sdmike's ideas don't really seem all that different from your own, tlee, other than the fact that sd expanded on a few points such as the power rating and added a potential weapon and hullmod rule, adding complexity by splitting power into health, flux, dissipation, etc. I personally kinda like this and the potential to use dice a bit better than just a flat out higher power wins. Also, I think the card picture might have been meant to easily show the different stats sd was suggesting, not as a suggestion for how the final card should look.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 02:51:35 PM »

Alright, here's my opinion on this whole thing (i like card game)
By the nature of this, i think it should be a self-contained playing card game and not a ccg.
It could be marketed as a playing card game similar to munchkin(tm) (the format, not the gameplay). Assuming this project ever see light, it would allow to open up marketing options, kickstarters and other ways to sell it as a proper game to be sold to starsector fans and even enlarge the target audience to people who might simply enjoy the game (which, indirectly, might even bring moire people to the video game itself.

This could be done using the following website (http://www.printerstudio.com/unique-ideas/custom-playing-cards.html) who does custom card game. an artist would simply have to make the proper assets to then create the cards themselves thru the website.

What is most important tho, is that it would need to be well done. a formal team of rule makers, artist and the like would need to be properly created.

Aaaaand that was my opinion on it. i believe such a game could be successful, it would just need to be planned and made in a coordonated and properly planned fashion.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »

I hate to pour cold water on this, but a commercial Starsector-based card game is definitely something I'm not ok with. Really, the same applies to any other commercial project - that's just common sense.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »

i thought it was a given that this would not be commercial, right?

uh... guys? right?
mmm.... tartiflette

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »

Never intended to be comercial unless you were to doing/support it. :)  

Now this.
Spoiler

Rules wise i would think that each player would have 60 fleet points with which to play cards, you may play as many cards as you wish in a turn but it is a good idea to have the weapons to equip them first, i will explain why in a moment. Once a card is played one would then proceed to equip the card with weapon cards and hullmod cards. When you equip a weapon to a ship will occupy all available slots of that it can use (so an onslaught equipped with a light machine gun would have all of its slots (large medium and small) occupied but if you were to equip it with hellbore cannons after that they would supersede the smaller weapons).  You can have up to three hullmods on any ship.  After the turn the card is played the ship has to miss turns based on the number of changes being made the size of the weapon, and if the slots are occupied or not.

I need to go to class soon but I will put more of my ideas (in particular concerning the speed dodge and shield mechanics  after i get back from that.

First off.. what? Sorry but I'm really confused. You come here, post, totally ignoring the previous posts and suggest a completely different ruleset. Whatever. If we did this I think we would need a lot more coordination and multiple people working on the ccg. A well done ccg is not a 1 man job. And as to your card itself, I wouldn't use that style. It is a generic boring card. It matches most all other card games. The picture is fuzzy. Sorry if I seem harsh.
[close]
Sorry if i seem harsh, but honestly i have no idea what you want me to say here so i am just going to inform you that my pants feel better inside out.

Tlee3205

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 12:37:44 PM »

Sorry sdmike I misread your post  :-\ as for Alex's ruling, I have a few things to say.
~What?!? Why!
~Then I reread it and I say "????"  ??? because I directly said "I am not talking a ccg you would find in stores" in other words, I directly said I was NOT asking for a commercial card game. Sure that would be great and would be good for both Alex's wallet and the game, but I knew Alex wouldn't like random people asking to make money off his game.
~Ignore the second part of that sentence up above this. I am saying right now that most all of the money made from this card game (at this point I am speaking figuratively since Alex said a rather enthused No!) would go to Alex.

In short I was surprised by Alex's response.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »

Why are you surprised?
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »

Honestly, where is the point in making a Sector cardgame if fans are spread so thin that they are most unlikely to ever meet in real life? Who would play it?

Mh... if you really want to make a card game and have the time and skills required, how about this:
Make it a game that we can play here in the forum, with card pictures. We had a PvP thread and some roleplaying threads going, it could work in a similar fashion. You just need a central place to keep track of who owns which cards, so nobody cheats. Then you give every new player a starter deck and the chance to win new cards in battle. Could be fun.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:39:50 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: [1] 2