More cruisers
- 4 (6.2%)
More capital ships
- 30 (46.2%)
More utility ships (freighters)
- 10 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] ZORG - V18 - (Exerelin + Uomoz Compatible!) - Campaign Mode!  (Read 163496 times)

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] ZORG - V16h - (Exerelin Compatible!) - Campaign Mode!
« Reply #285 on: November 11, 2013, 04:42:13 PM »

I find the best way to beat the Zorg is with fast ships that pack a punch...

Not to advertise, but the Gedune are rather good at that ;)

You can make most ships fast enough fight Zorg ships using hull mods.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 11, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »

but most players won't figure it out

I don't think you're giving our community enough credit. :)

They're also not that fast. The Zorg ships that pack a real punch and have the longest range are also often the slowest. It is also possible to outrange the Zorg, by getting long range weapons and hullmods to increase that range (the zorg use a range hullmod that isn't as effective as some of the vanilla ones).

That said, the weapon range and durability of their ships are their strong points. You'll just have to find a strategy that works for you. Tokshen has a series of videos on youtube in which he fights the Zorg. He adapts by using ships that prove to work well vs the Zorg and by equipping them with explosive damage weapons. It has allowed him to effectively fight the Zorg.

No shields also means it is possible to slowly wither them down. Many Zorg ships have their main weapons facing in one direction. So avoid the main weapon and try to pierce the armour safely from the back. Interdictor rays and handler rays are often not enough to breach the shields on cruisers and up.

Basically, the challenge lies in finding a way to beat the Zorg. And what works for one faction may not work with another.

Stats on Zorg ships are the result of careful balancing and testing versus various factions and loudouts. They aren't just slapped together. That's not to say there's no room for improvement. But cutting down weapon range by 50% would just make the faction sitting ducks. Unable to fire at anything, while being taken out from a distance.

And hey! They're supposed to be menacing!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:25:36 PM by Erick Doe »

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 11, 2013, 08:08:51 PM »

For me, it just is hard to tell what ships are a good match for other Zorg vessels of their class.

Pyramid: The pyramid is pretty well armed for a carrier. Its only a cruiser, but it's faster than most Zorg vessels, allowing it to bring around its firepower more effectively that the heavier cruisers.

The biggest ship: Just a giant meat shield, I feel that it could be much more than it currently is, like perhaps some universal large mounts. The Zorg want to experiment with foreign weapons too, right ?

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 12, 2013, 01:31:56 AM »

I feel they should have some mediocre weapons as well, since most their stuff is 2000+ base range (given their size but DAYUM) super alpha strike weapons, there isn't much around that can even compare to that, weapon range is the strongest stat in the game, which also happens to be the most effective way to deal with these guys. hammer em at several thousand SU range with HE weapons.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 12, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »

I found that just spamming handler rays is the most deadly.

drakhades

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 12, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »

I feel they should have some mediocre weapons as well, since most their stuff is 2000+ base range (given their size but DAYUM) super alpha strike weapons, there isn't much around that can even compare to that, weapon range is the strongest stat in the game, which also happens to be the most effective way to deal with these guys. hammer em at several thousand SU range with HE weapons.

that's what my strategy is too, because none of my fleet is fast enough to catch up, so it's basically just finding long range HE stuff to counter.

so not that it's impossible to win against the zorg, it just requires a VERY specific counter, which is pretty annoying

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 13, 2013, 04:15:21 AM »

Upcoming changes:

-Increased supply consumption
-Adding assimilated Aurora and Medusa
-Adding a Zorg utility ship
-Some small tweaks to individual ships
-Full Linux compatibility

Assimilation script won't be live yet, because it isn't working as I want it to work.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 13, 2013, 05:55:53 AM »

V17 (Exerelin compatible + Uomoz's Sector compatible + Campaign mode) - Dock with the Unimatrix in Zorg Zeta and acquire Zorg Assimilators in order to join the Zorg Hive

Link to LazyLib: LazyLib
Link to Exerelin: Exerelin

Exerelin will have to be updated to include the new ships. But V17 is still Exerelin compatible!

Code
-Added assimilated Medusa (gets delivered to the Unimatrix in Zorg Zeta)
-Added assimilated Aurora (gets delivered to the Unimatrix in Zorg Zeta)
-Added a new hullmod; Zorg Containment Directive (a cheap hullmod that slightly increases ship hull)
-Fixed the Zorg Optical Calibration hullmod; did not appear in campaign mode before (it does now!)
-Increased supply cost of Zorg ships
-Increased durability of Zorg Sphere and Diamonds
-Made Linux compatible; removed all inconsistent references
-Several other small tweaks
-Removed Herobrine (no really, I did! Hasn't anyone found him in earlier versions?!)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] ZORG - V17 - (Exerelin Compatible!) - Campaign Mode!
« Reply #293 on: November 13, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »

Thanks to Zaphide's awesome work on Exerelin, if a sector is completely taken over by the Zorg you get the Zorg background and Zeta Star:

Also shows the Zorg can be defeated.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:38:50 AM by Erick Doe »

Garmine

• Lieutenant
  • We're The Borg. Every resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 13, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »

Thanks to Zaphide's awesome work on Exerelin, if a sector is completely taken over by the Zorg you get the Zorg background and Zeta Star:

Awesome! If only you had non-built in weapons... :D

Btw, could it work if you had Zorg type mounts (instead of energy/ballistic/missile) on your ships and thus you could customize the Zorg ships but only with Zorg weapons? I'd love that. :)
I went outside one day, the graphics were amazing, but the gameplay sucked...
Prepare yourselves for miscapitalization errors! *evil laugh*

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 13, 2013, 12:14:05 PM »

Awesome! If only you had non-built in weapons... :D

Btw, could it work if you had Zorg type mounts (instead of energy/ballistic/missile) on your ships and thus you could customize the Zorg ships but only with Zorg weapons? I'd love that. :)

That... might actually work. Kind of how the Zorg hullmods can only be put on ships with a "zorg_" prefix in their id.  :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 14, 2013, 08:10:03 AM »

Tokshen has started an awesome new Let's Play:

This time it's the Zorg Mod V16h!

Aik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 19, 2013, 07:02:02 AM »

I'm finding that the pyramid obliterates entire fleets of vanilla cruisers with ease. I'm playing Kadur Theocracy, but ever since I picked up one of these I've smashed through everything with it barely scratched. I suspect I could just sit back and watch it take out pirate fleets without any support. Every big battle used to be pretty dangerous before this and require some careful thinking, but now it's a cakewalk.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 19, 2013, 07:10:23 AM »

pirate fleets

You just explained the reason. Pirates are only a challenge at early game, after that, they're just meat. Try fighting big players like Valkyrians or Patrians, that's much more tricky, even with Zorg ships.

Also, with experience points, you can drastically improve any ships you pilot so it's not surprising to take down entire fleets with only your flag ship.

Aik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 19, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »

So, Zorg are not meant to be balanced against vanilla at all? The pirates are using Dominator and Venture class cruisers along with large numbers of bombers and fighters and can't land a single hit on this one ship.
Also, I don't use it as a flagship, so that's not a factor.

It's fine that not everything is perfectly balanced, but I think it's going a bit too far. It's fast enough and has long enough range that it can stay outside the range of anyone else's guns while still attacking, while the point defence lasers it has take out any missiles, fighters, or bombers that get near. Its main weapons overload shields almost instantly, and of course the enemy AI can't adjust for that and ends up just floating around overloaded and useless while getting picked off.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24