More cruisers
- 4 (6.2%)
More capital ships
- 30 (46.2%)
More utility ships (freighters)
- 10 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] ZORG - V18 - (Exerelin + Uomoz Compatible!) - Campaign Mode!  (Read 163495 times)

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] ZORG - V17 - (Exerelin Compatible!) - Campaign Mode!
« Reply #300 on: November 19, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »

This illustrates that mod balance is different from vanilla balance . The Zorg need to fight more powerful factions from modded content too. Vanilla is pretty tame compared to mods. (Most of the time)

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 19, 2013, 10:59:35 PM »

You have to factor more variables in than just raw firepower. Like the fact that the zorg hulls are massive targets and that they don't have the same weapon/hull ratio like other ships. Also take in the fact that a zorg ship is probably just as strong as another ship that is the same size as it, not the same class.

martinw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 03, 2013, 04:54:35 AM »

Mod looks great, can't wait to blow some of your ships up :P However, when I install your mod together with Exerelin I keep getting a null error when I play it with more then 2 other factions (valk, neutrio for example) The memory thingy has been changed to 1024-1024. Does this mean the Zorg mod is just too large to go along with more then 2 other factions? Because at the moment without Zorg I'm running Exerelin with 7 factions without any errors.

Is there any way to reduce the size of the Zorg mod? Or have I messed up something myself  ::)

Cheers.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 03, 2013, 05:09:03 AM »

Mod looks great, can't wait to blow some of your ships up :P However, when I install your mod together with Exerelin I keep getting a null error when I play it with more then 2 other factions (valk, neutrio for example) The memory thingy has been changed to 1024-1024. Does this mean the Zorg mod is just too large to go along with more then 2 other factions? Because at the moment without Zorg I'm running Exerelin with 7 factions without any errors.

Is there any way to reduce the size of the Zorg mod? Or have I messed up something myself  ::)

Cheers.

The Zorg mod is actually not very demanding. I've pretty much optimised it and removed any unnecessary files. The Zorg mod can easily run alongside a dozen other mods.

The issue might be that you've got too many factions running as is. Then again, you say you've tried it with only two other mods and it produced a null error? That is very odd. I recommend you re-download the mod. Perhaps something got corrupted.

If you click the icon in my signature, you can see that the Zorg mod runs perfectly alongside all the other mods listed in the Modded Starsector Package.

martinw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 03, 2013, 10:20:57 AM »

I have removed all my mods and installed the mod in your signature, same thing happens I get the null error after the loading is done. I have tested it with memory settings on 512-1024 and 1024-1024. Any suggestions what else I can test?

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 03, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »

1. Go to the starsector directory

2. Open the starsector_core file

3. Open up the starsector.bat with something like jedit

4. Delete the "..\jre\bin" section, and change the two values of -Xms512m -Xmx512m to -Xms1024m and -Xmx2048m (assuming you have 1 and 2 gb of free RAM)

5. Go back to the orginal starsector directory, the one with the "mods" folder.

6. Drag the "mods" folder, or copy\paste it, into the starsector_core

7. Double click on the starsector.bat, and play!

8. (Optional) Follow the same process for the "saves" folder as you did with the "mods" folder

martinw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 05, 2013, 01:08:56 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions! I've tried Foxer's solution and nothing worked either. Eventually I reinstalled the game and without changing the memory settings or anything else BAM everything worked like a charm.

Time to purge the galaxy of the Zorg infestation  ::)
Thanks again.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »

Zorg need a nerf hard...they have weapons way too overpowered if armor like a turtle wasnt enough...i find this to be an issue that they dont follow the balance rules...there should be a ship half my size with a weapon twice as good as me...they need a weapons and/or armor nerf hard...at this state they are too expensive for the player...even though the faction can just pump them out and un-enjoyable for the allied player and the opposing player fighting them

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2014, 02:58:58 PM »

^They don't have shields and are twice the size of ships in their class. They also don't have the same weapons-to-area ratio that other ships have. Player-controlled ships won't really have too much of a hard time, especially in the case of strike ships like Blackrock's.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »

while being twice the size, they also move twice as fast as any ship in the same class, and most of their weapons has a range exceeding 1500 SU, and with a hull mod or 2 that quickly escalates to ranges that shots from one end of the battlefield to the other. they are VERY weak to custom built fleets tho, HE damage trashes these guys, if you manage to get in range that is.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 09, 2014, 01:52:24 AM »

They are balanced towards their intended gameplay role and function exactly as intended. They have very distinct strengths and weaknesses. If you find yourself loosing badly against the Zorg, then it is time for a change of strategy or loadout. Nevertheless, they are meant to pose a serious threat. A high deployment cost ensures that Zorg ships are always outnumbered by a fleet of similar DPs. A 100 FP fleet may only churn out five Zorg ships while it may churn out 20 ships for another faction.

I'd also hardly call the weapons overpowered. Looking at main Zorg weapons they are often unable to break through the shields of several faction's ships. They have a long cooldown and cost enormous amounts of flux to fire. Also, of course the ships are expensive. A 40 DPs Cube isn't going to be as cheap as a 28 DPs Onslaught. Players are encouraged to operate fleets of small numbers.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 09, 2014, 02:43:13 AM »

I personally really like fighting zorg fleets, they're easy food for my fleets - but that's because I like to play with ballistic focused factions like hegemony/BRDY/IFED, I've found shadowyard and tri-tach ships to have a bad time thanks to their lack of good HE options. Kadur ships seem to trade equally since they've got the range to duel with the zorg. Midline ships have difficulty thanks to all the energy slots limiting their potential damage output vs. armor so it's understable those lose frequently if that's what you are playing with and why you'd feel zorg to be too strong.

I don't see anything off with the faction as it stands (don't forget that each individual zorg ship is costed such that it's equivalent to fighting several vanilla ships of that size - any fleet you see needs to be mentally adjusted to be 2-4 that number of vanilla ships worth of power - if you couldn't get into a hairball with 4-5 dominators, an onslaught, and a bevy of broadswords backing them up then it'd be wise to steer clear of those seemingly low count fleets) and the change in dynamic is nice.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:49:02 AM by Ishman »

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 09, 2014, 09:03:28 AM »

Try running a paragon with 4 (or maybe 3 i will be testing the best amount later) of their medium charge up cannons a little pd and as much flux dissipation as you can it's obscenely powerful. I love it. I can't wait to try it in campaign with twice the flux vents.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 10, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »

they use alot of flux but they dont have shields the the cost thing is meaningless...there is no price to it other then it may fire slow...but i couldnt outmaneuver then with Regime mod...and they use speed...so no strike craft cant do anything...because they will outlast you unless you have the best fleet....and if these are a copy of the borg...then they certainly should have shields with less armor..these are advanced level borg basically

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 10, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »

Well, Lopunny, the cost is not to be able to fire the biggest lasers over and over again, which can be the decisive turning point in the battle.

I believe you mean the Kadur Theocracy, not Regime. The KT ships aren't all that fast, and the zorg ships usually have 360 degree weapon mounts, so it's not like you would achieve anything by going behind them.

And shields? How to you make a square shield?  Circles are not the name of the game, so to speak, with cubelike ships.

Why don't you suggest things a bit less harshly? If you don't like the mod, don't play it. It's the authors choice to do what he wants, and Eric had a certain idea that he used the Zorg to fill that idea.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24