Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weekly dev updates.  (Read 1774 times)

miro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Weekly dev updates.
« on: August 13, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »

Now this is going to sound really really needy, mostly because it is, but I would like it if the developers made a quick little notation of what they had been working on each week. Nothing major, even just a sentence, "This week I worked on fuel consumption in hyperspace" for example.

It would be nice, for me at least to see the progress in a tangible way. This is probably no better than a "when is the next update due" question, so take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks.
Hey brah.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly dev updates.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion!

There's already something like that; the in-development patch notes. Not exactly weekly, or on a regular schedule, but precisely what you're talking about in other ways.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »

Alex is here every day, and if you just read his posts, you can tell that actual work's getting done daily.  

On the other hand, you want it fed to you in nicely-wrapped bites, which is quite a bit harder.  Official updates can take quite a bit of time (like, sometimes a man-day) to push out- you'd be surprised how long it takes to make a "what did I do this week" kind of post.  Or a week can go by and all he'd have to say is, "did a bunch of experiments with the visuals of Hyperspace, and all of it sucked; will do more of this next week" ;)

I think that the direct communications we see from Alex and the other team members on occasion are more productive, because it's probably not eating into dev time too much.  That, and there's no, "you didn't post a blog this Friday, is the game dead?" nonsense.

Bear in mind, the team has been getting over what is probably the very largest remaining "hump" for this update- finally going from Systems to a Sector, which is a huge thing.  After this build, it's not downhill, but it's a much different vantage point and we're all going to need to re-assess, most likely.  We're just glad to know that he's getting there; this is the big one.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

miro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 06:25:17 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys!

Alex, that kind of thing is perfect, thank you for showing me. I understand that it would probably be a bit painful to have to come up with stuff you had done every week to appease the masses. Especially because I'm sure you have a lot of real life stuff to do as well.

To Xenoargh, I agree with you that it is possible to figure out all the things the dev team has been doing by reading the messages in the forum, I was hoping for a way to get that same information without having to trawl through the other topics in the forum.
Hey brah.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:06:37 PM »

When your doing a big project, even throwing away rotting garbage in your kitchen that are attracting all manners of biological organisms seems too much hassle, keeping a 'blog' would be the last thing on your mind.

Appreciate the updates your doing Alex.