Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Forum History  (Read 13780 times)

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
Re: Forum History
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2013, 12:53:41 PM »

that thread that shows you were people live.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »

I found out about this game when i was a junior in high school, now i am a freshman in collage ya wow it feels like yesterday!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »

How did you know.......

We always know.

But really.

It's the chickens.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2013, 12:04:40 AM »

I found out about this game when i was a junior in high school, now i am a freshman in collage ya wow it feels like yesterday!

I never understood juniors, 1st/2nd/whatever grades so I got no idea lol

But time has flown, seen tons of accomplishments in our little community :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2013, 01:16:53 AM »

For me the most memorable part (aside from game updates) of forum history was when Hardlyjoking67 (who's unfortunately not a regular anymore) called everyone out on being unwelcoming to newcomers. His arguments made a lot of sense to me and since then I'm always (well, most of the time) trying to see something from a newcomers perspective before answering. I think it's not only nice for those people, it helps the overall forum atmosphere as well.

Spoiler
Okay, so we can overlook beginner mistakes on every new user?

Well what if we didn't? Why not give the people benefit of the doubt. It seems pointless to me to make someone else feel bad, regardless if they should have known or not. Why not make the experience for new users "Oh, hey I totally screwed up, but the people on this forum are really welcoming and considerate! This motivates me to be a more responsible member of this forum and I can't wait to help other new members understand the community's stance on certain issues in a way that makes everyone feel good!" ? I dunno. I feel like people on this forum can be a bit elitist if you ask me (Not you Upgrade). The fact that someone went to the effort and gathered the courage to make their first post on the forum is reason enough to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you're going to be elitist, you have to better than everyone else right?

Daily Soapbox Session concluded.

It's generally a good idea to do a search and see if your suggestion has been made before. Also putting it in the right place helps a bit too

Well this is what I was talking about with the whole search box thing. I think the whole point of calling people new members is that some of them are legitimately new to the community. They may not have been forum stalking as guests earlier to today, and they may have also been living under a rock and have no idea of what forum etiquette (i.e. Searching before posting) actually is. So the experience for this and probably a few other guys is that they get really pumped for what they think is a new idea, ask about it, and get a lot of people annoyed at them because they asked about something for the 1000th time. So I dunno, I see both sides of the argument, but I think that as a forum vets, we are better able to resolve the issue in a nicer way. I was definitely detecting some (hopefully!) unintentional passive aggressiveness. See? There's the sensitive thing. Whatever. That's my 20 cents.  :P
[close]
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2013, 01:20:11 AM »

Yeah man, I remember that, that's when I realised we needed to be welcoming, no matter what question there was. Consideration of others before ourselves is very important
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]