Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Out of Memory Crash Observation  (Read 1477 times)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Out of Memory Crash Observation
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »

As far as I know, most Out of Memory crashes tend to be screenshot related. I think I found one where it's audio related.

I was playing the latest Exerelin mod with the hiigaran mod as well. When I followed these instructions from the hiigaran mod:

Bonus:
Spoiler
[Music]
Adds main menu music track, 4 campaign tracks and 3 combat tracks, from the Homeworld game.
Installation:
- Put the music.bin file inside the Hiigaran Descendants\Sounds folder.
- In the Hiigaran Descendants\Data\Config folder, delete or backup sounds.json and rename sounds.music to sounds.json.
[close]
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6347.0

the chance of the game crashing due to being out of memory sky rockets, especially in the late game where the number of fleets goes way up. The 30mb sound track might have been the culprit.

Reversing the steps above solved this problem.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Memory Crash Observation
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:25:08 AM »

"cutting" the full audio music into smaller parts would allow a lower need for memory on 32bit OS/Java and also prevents the need to play the full track once you go into a fight and get out.

Maybe 6 tracks of 5mbs instead of a 30mbs.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Memory Crash Observation
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:07:41 AM »

Hmm. That seems unlikely as music is actually streamed from the hard drive rather than loaded in memory all at once, the file size shouldn't matter.

So, it's not holding the entire decoded music file in memory - that would be quite a problem.

(It does, as far as I can see, hold up to 20 mb of the encoded stream in memory once it's loaded; but that's just how it works. If that extra 20mb pushes things over the limit, well...)