More missions.
- 5 (9.1%)
A new system.
- 12 (21.8%)
More ships.
- 38 (69.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: [0.7a] Citadel v0.8.3  (Read 263557 times)

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7a] Citadel v0.8.3 - Second In-dev Released! [6/7/2015]
« Reply #300 on: January 06, 2016, 02:37:51 PM »

It's nice of you to do that, it's not the question here. But unless Foxer said you could release it, maybe it's better to do that by PM. Just to be on the safe side.
Into the ethical minefield I go... what is the ethical benefit of gating distribution behind PM requests as opposed to posting a download link?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 06, 2016, 03:03:12 PM »

Because common courtesy would be to ask Foxer first.
Because if the "fix" doesn't fix anything (or worse), nobody can blame Foxer.
Because while nobody can prevent you from tinkering with someone else mod for your enjoyment, you aren't legally authorized to release it unless specifically told otherwise.
Because starting to modify his work seems innocent, but them someone else think he can do whatever he want with it, including releasing it under his own name elsewhere.

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 06, 2016, 04:20:58 PM »

Because common courtesy would be to ask Foxer first.
Because if the "fix" doesn't fix anything (or worse), nobody can blame Foxer.
Because while nobody can prevent you from tinkering with someone else mod for your enjoyment, you aren't legally authorized to release it unless specifically told otherwise.
Because starting to modify his work seems innocent, but them someone else think he can do whatever he want with it, including releasing it under his own name elsewhere.
I get the common courtesy; should have asked first, ok.

Don't get the "nobody can blame Foxer."  Is the danger that, because Foxer started the thread, people assume he has total responsibility for what's posted here?  Alright, people can be silly sometimes, we'll accommodate the idiots.  So the logical solution is to make a new thread and link it from this one, yeah?

Legal issues: don't see how distributing by PM mitigates this in any way.  Is this an "out of sight, out of mind" thing?  Yes, this is technically a rights violation - it doesn't matter which way you distribute.

Ditto the last point - don't see how distribution by PM mitigates this.

In conclusion, I see why permission should have been asked, and I see some slight value in moving any edits to the files out of the thread started by the mod creator.  So start a new thread - why use PMs?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:24:38 PM by Adraius »

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 06, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »

I think it is great that you guys are trying to keep Citadel playable. But like Tartiflette said, you need the original mod author's permission to publish anything related to this mod (including fixes). It is just how we do things. You can't (re)publish other people's work, even in a slightly altered state.

So please send Foxer360 a PM and ask him if you can release this fix for the mod. If he authorises it you can post a link to it here. Otherwise, keep the fix to yourself and your friends through PMs.

I've checked Foxer360's profile and it reads that he was last online today. So I am sure he isn't 100% missing. Thank you.  :)

Mudanzas Valencia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • mudanzas valencia
« Reply #304 on: January 06, 2016, 04:25:55 PM »

the problem (a term i use very loosely, for i do not actually care) but the INTERNET FORUM GAME PROBLEM is that it currently says that Citadel is SS+ compatible. while technically this is true, in actuality the Citadel latest official release link (buried unhelpfully RAAAAGE) is in fact pretty much defacto game breaking. The fact that the CR deployment values are totally gimped and screwed up basically makes the Citadel logistically immortal compared to other fleets. Game breaking. The Mako is also pretty ridic, though that's an opinion w/e But basically as long as SS+ says Citadel is good to go your officially inserting a game breaking faction in and lol to the consequences.

soooooo options are 1. uninstall and ignore until foxer gets back 2. stopgap fix the glaring problems 3. remove Citadel from official endorsements 4. eat

since everyone here is real productive and nice i believe 2. can be done in good faith but again, i haven't actually done any actual work nor will i because 4.

^^^edit: oh, GET TO WORK FOXER

edit edit: the thing i came to originally post, the stopgap works well enough *thumbs up*
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:27:29 PM by Question »
si desea un presupuesto para su hogar o negocio
http://www.mudanzasvalemcia.com
Sus muebles, así como nuestra reputación en Valencia, tu empresa de mudanzas economicas.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 06, 2016, 04:28:49 PM »

@ Question

You can communicate this problem with Dark.Revenant of the SS+ mod. I'm sure he will remove Citadel from the list of recommended mods if it isn't working properly with SS+.

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 06, 2016, 05:28:49 PM »

Don't know why someone would be so protective about modifications made on someone's else's paid work, but I've been on nexusmods long enough to know that "ethics" regarding IPs are as bad as Wikipedia bureaucracy.

So I'll remove the link and make it available on PM request.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2016, 06:38:35 PM »

Hi everyone.

First, I'd like to apologize for not replying or addressing to the issues that you are all having. It's irresponsible of me.

Secondly, I would like to let you all know that I'm having a bit of a rough time right now. A few considerable issues IRL have been weighing me down and affecting my mood, which doesn't leave me much energy to mod. I approve of any fixes that you upload for now, because I'm unable to make my own.

Lastly, I'm going to say that I am definitely not happy with the current iteration of Citadel. With the next update I do, I'm like to make major lore and background changes, which is a lot of work. In the mean time, I'll just try and get over the struggles I'm having outside of this great modiverse, and I hope you all have fun playing around with the other neat mods coming out instead. Sorry.

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 06, 2016, 07:25:03 PM »

Hi everyone.

First, I'd like to apologize for not replying or addressing to the issues that you are all having. It's irresponsible of me.

Secondly, I would like to let you all know that I'm having a bit of a rough time right now. A few considerable issues IRL have been weighing me down and affecting my mood, which doesn't leave me much energy to mod. I approve of any fixes that you upload for now, because I'm unable to make my own.

Lastly, I'm going to say that I am definitely not happy with the current iteration of Citadel. With the next update I do, I'm like to make major lore and background changes, which is a lot of work. In the mean time, I'll just try and get over the struggles I'm having outside of this great modiverse, and I hope you all have fun playing around with the other neat mods coming out instead. Sorry.
Hey, don't worry about it. =) I'm glad to know that a) you aren't gone for good, and b) fixes are OK'd!  I wish you luck with your real life troubles.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 06, 2016, 11:24:43 PM »

Don't know why someone would be so protective about modifications made on someone's else's paid work, but I've been on nexusmods long enough to know that "ethics" regarding IPs are as bad as Wikipedia bureaucracy.

So I'll remove the link and make it available on PM request.
How silly, modders are so protective about a complex piece of art and code they poured thousands of hour of work and more often than not some rather high amount of money. And the only benefit they get from it is the rewarding feeling some people are playing with it and appreciate their efforts, plus for some the fact that it is effectively a portfolio. Really, I don't see why...

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 07, 2016, 12:38:02 AM »

As DinoZavarski has pointed out, there are still several case mismatches in the latest version.

/data/missions/matterofhonor/personal.PNG
/data/missions/fox_testbattle/biggy.png
/data/missions/fox_testbattle2/biggy2.png
/sounds/defenders/fx/guns/Fox_Ebarrage_up.ogg

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 07, 2016, 04:10:28 AM »

How silly, modders are so protective about a complex piece of art and code they poured thousands of hour of work and more often than not some rather high amount of money. And the only benefit they get from it is the rewarding feeling some people are playing with it and appreciate their efforts, plus for some the fact that it is effectively a portfolio. Really, I don't see why...
So protective that they won't let the founder of Wikipedia fix his own birthday on his own entry due to not having enough trusted sources.

Edit: Okay, I sound a bit (or a lot) sarcastic. I want to clarify that I completely understand why a programmer/coder, paid or otherwise, might be a bit protective over his/her work. I just find a few go a bit off the deep end over the smallest of transgressions forcing the rest of us to walk on eggshells.

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks the Parabola not worth 6 OP? I mean it had some passable usage as an LRM; but it doesn't have that anymore.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:21:38 AM by Blaze »

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 07, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »

Appreciate that everyone's staying civil  ;), but this isn't an ethics or morality thread about permissions and IP. This is a mod thread for Citadel. So let's get back on topic.

ProdigyToby

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 15, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »

Well, it works, but the burn levels on those ships make them pretty unusable.

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2016, 06:15:45 PM »

The link on the OP is out-of-date, use this one: https://bitbucket.org/Foxer360/version-checker/downloads/Citadel%200.8.3b.zip

Note that the version above uses gimped supply values. If you want to change that, you can try this unofficial patch or edit the values yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23