Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Next feature?

More missions.
- 5 (9.1%)
A new system.
- 12 (21.8%)
More ships.
- 38 (69.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: [0.7a] Citadel v0.8.3  (Read 263007 times)

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Ah, I haven't actually played as Citadel yet. :P

Remmahknik

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Ahh okay, sorry if I sounded a little rude. It may just be me continuing my save as a mayorate bounty hunter in nexerelin. Engaged a pirate bounty fleet and got the error after 10 seconds or so. Gonna try a new save just to make sure.

EDIT: After Starting a new game everything worked alright. Funny why it broke, citadel was wiped out in my mayorate save. Is it a possibility that the update breaks saves?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:00:58 AM by Remmahknik »

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Perhaps a ship still had the bad variant in that pirate fleet? I know that variant updates are not retroactive, ships already generated and in play will not refresh themselves if their variant changes, just that ships from that point onwards will use the new variant.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I swear the monolith is useless...since its a none combat ship and has no flight decks all it does is take up a giant chunk of your Fleet space and unlike the nomad Oasis it doesn't provide a good reason to have...if it sustained and even produced more supplies and fuel then you used then I would use it...but I feel like it should loss a lot of weapons slot for a much lowered Logistics cost so I CAN afford to keep it in a fleet....other then that it takes up too valuable of space to even warrant carrying it around as luggage when I could instead use the space for more combat ships so I stand a chance against large fleets...which I need the money FROM them to maintain this station on boosters. If you can can you make it able to maintain you supplies and even produce them..then I would definitely use it more often...unless theres more your going to be doing with it that your not telling us :P

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile

You'd be right calling a Monolith useless, since it is basically a portable station. It's main function is to provide a CR buffer for other ships, so combat is the last thing you'd want to take it in. It's pretty much an AI fleet ship, serving as a boss of sorts. More features will come when SS gets its industry features fleshed out.

If you want a true combat capital with flight decks, check out the Sierra. It's fast, has two flight decks and a lot of weapons. You can also use the Bastion Shield system to avoid those Templars Priwen bursts or flanking bombers.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Last time I played with the Monolith (only the update before this one), I had triple Zeus cannons on it and lightning guns in all the medium slots so I could prod everything from a hearty distance. All those hidden mining blasters and, mining lasers and Guardians seem a little out of place. Do you plan on making those into built in Citadel weapons by any chance? And what am I supposed to do with the two 360 small slots? More mining lasers?  :P

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile

Last time I played with the Monolith (only the update before this one), I had triple Zeus cannons on it and lightning guns in all the medium slots so I could prod everything from a hearty distance. All those hidden mining blasters and, mining lasers and Guardians seem a little out of place. Do you plan on making those into built in Citadel weapons by any chance? And what am I supposed to do with the two 360 small slots? More mining lasers?  :P

Next update! Gonna have some custom weapons that better fit its look, but do roughly the same things as what each buult in weapon currently does. For example, Guardian PD -> eFlak XL (name wip, but you get the point).

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile

So I had the bright idea to equip a Monolith with Ballista LRMs (from Interstellar Imperium).  It has earned the nickname "macross".  It's surprisingly effective even solo, actually beats a paragon in sim (autopilot) without sustaining significant damage, but in a fleet specialized in taking down shields it's absolutely devastating.

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:55:16 AM by sotanaht »

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Massed Ballistae are great fun, especially with how they all converge on a ship with their somewhat lazy guidance.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

The mission images for cocktailparty, matterofhonor, fox_testbattle and fox_testbattle2 cause a crash on Linux due to case sensitivity (the file extensions should be changed to lowercase). Presumably troll mission too, although it doesn't actually cause a crash since it's not used.

(What's with the troll mission, anyway?)

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile

The Troll mission is just something for the filediggers. Utter nonsense, really, but still quite challenging sometimes.

Anyways, there is another release in the near future that will have fixed the Linux errors. Damn, I'm getting lazy.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile

So the monolith...  IS it too powerful?

It's my favorite support ship by far, but it's also something I never want to pilot.  The universal slots make it ideal for mounting insane support weapons like LRMs or whatever long range cannons or beams are available.  It also has HUGE costs, to buy, to bring, and to deploy.  It also fits a lot of roles at the same time, with great cargo and crew capacity as well as the autofactory support.

A well equipped AI monolith can easily 1v1 a default sim Paragon (and maybe a couple of his destroyer friends at the same time).  It all depends on the equipment of course, but that comes back to the universal slots giving you access to everything worth having.

If the slots weren't universal it would be a LOT weaker.  One of its strengths right now is to be able to put everything into a single strategy, if it were forced to generalize more instead of minmaxing for a single approach it would actually struggle to keep up in battle.

I don't really know if I would change it, but in my personal opinion I would class it a tier 1 or 2 ship easily.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:37:55 AM by sotanaht »

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile

New Release! Not a major one with a boatload of new features, but an important quality-of-life and balance one nonetheless. The main post has been updated with a new Weapons section too, so go check that out!

I'd thought I'd show the sprite changes right here:
Spoiler
<-NEW OLD->

<-NEW OLD->

<-NEW OLD->

<-NEW OLD->
<-NEW OLD->
<-NEW OLD->
[close]

Changelog:
Code
+Exerelin's Corvus mode compatible! Don't forget to change Nexerelin's mod_info (you'll see what to change).
+2 new random missions from MesoTroniK. Thanks!
+2 new Rip Drive system variants, light and heavy. Both have less charges, more cooldown and less time.
+New hull explosion sounds! CH-BOOOM! KRK-POW!
-Engine style changes. Now smokey instead of glowing!
-Ship balancing: Torus is more tanky, less offenseively capable. Driver's flux stats boosted. Tacit buffed.
-Many other changes in many fields. It's irresponsible of me to not document them. >.>
-Sound updates: Most medium/small weapons have new sounds as well as the Concussion Beam and Zeus.
-Sprite Updates: Porter-class and Ayre class.
-Signifingantly buffed Plasma Blasters. Now, they deal good damage and taper out as they fire for longer.
-Changed Meteor and Striker. Larger volleys, faster speed but a slow reload. Also improved graphics.
-Removed the Cobra's ammo mechanic. Not fun enough.
-Nerfed K-Barrage by decreasing its accuracy limit and increasing its accuracy loss rate. Also nerfed ammo.
-Nerfed Parabola's range from 6000 to 2000. Effectively an MRM, but still able to go very far (with intertia).
-Buffed Heavy eFlak. It now features a larger blast radius.
-Buffed Plasma Projector on the Conduit with a larger blast radius. Still iffy on this one.
Download: (Also on original post)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:37:28 PM by Foxer360 »

sajberhippien

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Is there any info on what the built-in weapons of the fighters do? I have no idea, for example, what the K-gatling, X-gatling, and Diode PDs of the Mako does. I know the fighter performs well (as it should at 14 DP) but I don't know what it _does_.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile

Heh, funny you bring that up, sajber! :)

In the current dev version on my end, some of the changes made are the descriptions of the fighters. They should now include a bit of text that explains how their weapons work! But, that being said, I plan to rework each fighter to make them better at performing their roles. Just different weapons mostly, because I feel that both the X-Gatling (High explosive gatling gun) and K-Gatling (Kinetic gatling gun) are rather strange and unbalanced weapons. It's not too much of a drastic change though, because each fighter will still do the job listed on the box they come in.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23