Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Next feature?

More missions.
- 5 (9.1%)
A new system.
- 12 (21.8%)
More ships.
- 38 (69.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: [0.7a] Citadel v0.8.3  (Read 263050 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Ok, thanks. Guess I should have figured it was spendy ::)

Noxxys

• Ensign
    • View Profile

You forgot to rename it 0.7 in the mods selection menu  ;)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Okay, i played the new Citadel version a bit and while the balance seemed good, there were still some little details that will need some fix.

The first thing i noticed is that the Stable freighter is unavailable in the Citadel station. Late game it's not a problem as Citadel cruisers offer plenty (too much?) cargo space for your supplies. Early on however, your frigates will struggle holding all the loot. Also no ship description.

For the Frigates, i have a soft spot for the Porter drone, the fortress shield make it one of the best tank in the game and you can even try some fancy loadout with all the universals mounts available. Unfortunately, as it is an unnamed craft, the max CR is very limited and it will quickly be unusable after one or two battles. But given it's pretty cheap and fast, it overall balance the thing.

The Aural is okay, it fills the role of proper "combat" frigate and even have a decent cargo storage. Pretty good in early game frigate knife fight but tends to die when bigger ships looks at it too long. Later on, it will get replaced with the Mako in most fleets.

The Particle don't have real utilities other than a cheap early game flagship thanks to its speed, in the hand of the AI however...

The Conduit feels a bit like the Tempest, it's fast and can mount quite a lot of guns, the Plasma launcher is the ultimate bane of missiles and fighters. It would actually make a much better PD ship than the Porter as the main gun AOE can wreck entire wings in a single shot. Not that great against bigger ships tough. I also noticed that when the Berserk system is used, the sounds are "muffled" like the Fortress shield, is it intended? I would also like to know more about the buff it give rather than "improve the performances across the board" that give the description, we want numbers!

In the destroyer category, the Ayre is basically a high tech Condor with more customization possibilities. The sensor drone is handy when you have LRMs.

The Comet remind me of the Mule, only faster. Not much to say about it, only that the Elite variant weapons group aren't complete and lack autofire (nearly all Citadels ships suffer from this, you might need to re-check this).

I liked quite a lot the Modem even though the cheap/Elite variant seems quite wonky. Unguided missiles aren't ideals when used on broadsides hardpoints, i'm also surprised that no variant use the Parabola lrm, that ship was built for them! No description on the ship nor on the ship system, i'm curious to know what kind of guns the very useful Vixen drone use. All in all, the (lrm) Modem is a damn good long range support.

While the Comet is a semi-utility ship, the Tacit is the fully militarized variant. It's pretty much the same as its little brother, just meaner.

For the cruisers, i had quite a lot of trouble using the Nova. As it is more of a broadside ship when using its system, i can't fly and aim the shield at the same time (i use the strafe and turn to cursor). I'm not sure either what kind of large weapon it should use as i found the Chirped pulse pretty underwhelming at its job. I won't say much as i can't fly this ship correctly so i'm probably the one who do this wrong.

The Torus might be on of my favorite Citadel cruiser. It's incredibly tanky but unfortunately the vent AI from SS+ doesn't work very well with its role. When well supported, this ship just won't die, it's good battle partner with the Driver cruiser as it kinda lack firepower for its size. Speaking of the Driver, the large weapon usually stick out of the shield radius, just an aesthetic issue.

The Adumbral is a cruiser sized Hyperion and it show. It can have a pretty nasty broadside if you switch the eFlak for another plasma blaster but it also explode if you blow on it. Not sure about the side srms, i guess those are just free damage added for the hell of it? Hard to use correctly though.

Haven't really used the Inland but i'm quite underwhelmed by this one. Only one flight deck, weapons can't focus fire on a single target and the ionic generator take ages to fire and only work at relatively short range. Honestly this ship might benefit from a second launch bay to be useful, of course it would need to be much more expensive as a result.

For the capital ships, i couldn't afford the Monolith in my campaign however i'm wondering what's with all those built in mining lasers?

The Sierra carrier is pretty good, something between the Odyssey and the Astral. It work surprisingly well as a long range support with Tachyon lances. For brawling however? Not really. If you want to get up close and personal, Drivers/Toruses are much safer bet.

I don't have much to say for the fighters. Arrowheads and Heaks do their job without being specials, the two bombers kinda suck as their description suggest it, the only one worthy of talking is the Mako. Later on it's probably better to sell your frigates (with the exception of Porters) and replacing them with Makos. I noticed something funny, as they are fighters, they lack a collision radius and sometimes i could see groups of Makos "stacking" themselves over each others and covering their teammates with their own shields, making the group extremely hard to take down without large weaponry. It's more of a random thing than a proper trick though.

That's all, not much else to say, it's seemed pretty well balanced to me. Just some "?" in the descriptions, some missing descriptions for some ships and all the little details i said. Just one thing about the plasma blaster, it's pretty oversized and the sprite itself is... Erhh... Bland? I can offer you to rework this one if you want, i like this weapon.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile

When I saw the Mako, I hoped I could pilot it. But nope. :-[

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2a] Citadel v0.7.1 - The Not-So-Hot hotfix with Shaderlib Maps![9/22]
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2014, 05:46:31 PM »

The lukewarm update. Also, just a note, the "?"'s in the descriptions are a bug with the vanilla game. I apologize if they annoy you! Also, the next few months are not going to be very modding intensive with school and such.

**WARNING** The plasma blaster sprites are muy broken. Another fix is coming! **WARNING**

0.7.1 Changelog
+Normals, Materials and Surface maps added thanks to Dark.Revenant.
-Viper, Copperhead and Hypermatter sprites from HELMUT
-Various placements of ship engines, shields and weapons have been fixed.
-Balances!
  =Porter has been nerfed via suppliesbeing increased to 2/day
  =Parabola has had its ammo count reduced
  =The Vixen drone is no longer stupidly broken with a fortress shield. Now has a phase skimmer.
  =Inland's Ionic Generator is now MUCH quicker to fire and resets your flux. Kinda fun to pilot the carrier now!
-Bug fixes of the boring sort!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:15:37 PM by Foxer360 »

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile

OhNoesBunnies

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2a] Citadel v0.7.2 - Shaderlib Maps + Trading Station + Fixes [9/26]
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2014, 11:37:06 PM »

This unfortunately no longer appears to work with Exerelin!

It's neat that the game told me that itself.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2014, 11:45:51 PM »

Oh yeah, totally forgot about exerelin! Zaphide should have that up and running soon, but I think the 0.7 download has a .faction file to use for exerelin. You can just use that one to replace the current exerelin .faction file for Citadel.

Apologies!

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2014, 01:54:53 AM »

Oh yeah, totally forgot about exerelin! Zaphide should have that up and running soon, but I think the 0.7 download has a .faction file to use for exerelin. You can just use that one to replace the current exerelin .faction file for Citadel.

Apologies!

Wow yeah I had Citadel v6, so I was well out of date! :) I'll fix for the next Exerelin release.

The Exerelin-specific stuff no longer uses the .faction file; instead it uses it's own .json file in data/config/exerelinFactionConfig/citadel.json (for Citadel obviously). There is a check that runs on new/load game that will write any out-of-sync's between Exerelin and faction mods to the log file.

It looks like you renamed a heap of variants :)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »

the inlands ionic device friendly fires....which is bad because since i dont have control over its direction it hits friendly ships and fighter nearby...might want to fix that

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »

Lopunny, the firendly fire is intentional. It allows the player to disable enemies, but must be used wisely. 

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.5a] Citadel v0.7.3 - A Brave New World! [10/26]
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2014, 12:22:12 AM »

Oooh, Shiny

Alright, here is the bare-bones compatibility update you've been waiting for! Please report any super broken things!

Note, untill the next SS hotfix,  you must edit the economy and starmap files in vanillato include all modded factions!  

^click^

0.7.3 Changelog
Spoiler
+Now compatible with 0.65a (barely), markets and new station graphics added in
-Another Vixen Drone nerf, substituted Ion Repeater for Ion Cannon
-Comet now has the Power Cruise system
-Fixed Zeus/Plasma Blaster offsets, fixed plasma blaster turret barrels not showing up
-Reduced K-Barrage flux to make it a viable option
-reduced detonation range of eFlak, reduced its damage, increased projectile speed
-reduced EMP of plasma projector
-Ion Repeater now fires bursts, costs less OP
-Revolver now has a longer burst delay and thinner shell.
-Parabola has a 2x longer cooldown
-Concussion Beam has more DPS and more charges, and is a pretty good weapon now
-Buffed shield efficiency of a few ships
-Buffed Seirra speed
-Tacit is now less wacky in base flux stats
-Ionic Generator system now states it does friendly fire in the description
[close]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:13:37 PM by Foxer360 »

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »

do we have to add the code to the starmap and economy files? If so, what? I looked through the past couple pages but didn't see it and I've seen it on other mods so I'm assuming I need it but I'm not sure what it is, thanks

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »

Ah, I guess you do. Thanks for reminding me!

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »

Noted I haven't played much with this mod, but from the little I've played and from what I've seen it seems pretty awesome!

Though I noticed that the Citadel doesn't have any enemies in the campaign.. so gaining favor with them is impossible? or am I doing something wrong? :)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23