Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37

Author Topic: (ded) Obsidian Void (ASC: B5) (DOM: D2) - 0.6.2a  (Read 299615 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Beta 2 Released - .54a Compatible)
« Reply #375 on: January 01, 2013, 09:36:47 PM »

@Acolnahuacatl / anyoneelsewhosinterested

Putting it simply, fixing that error was no easy task. The main problem was that the player's faction choice wasn't getting stored in the save file, so when the player loaded up a save, it took either the previous faction choice, or the defaults. Looking through the save files, it appeared that non-static class data members from spawn points were stored. So, I spent a lot of time on the internet browsing through Java-oriented websites and forums to help look for an answer--I needed to transform my static variables into non-static variables so that they could be stored in the save file. However, I never found a definite answer.

So, after furthering my understanding of Java, I used that newly acquired knowledge to do absolutely nothing and implemented a hackjob that stores your faction choice as an item in an invisible station.

Yep. Patch will be out tomorrow.

Alex (if you read this), for the future, it would be super, super awesome if there were some way to store widely-used static variables in save files. If there's currently a way, my limited knowledge of Java and programming in general isn't showing it to me.

Well, you need to slow down the orbit on the planets by a lot, the fleets can't resupply. and you can barely catch up to them.
They don't orbit that fast, you can still easily catch up to them. In fact, they orbit at an incredibly slow rate for most natural satellites. All of Jupiter's Galilean moons orbit in less than twenty days, with Io making one complete orbit in a little under two days. Most of the moons' orbits in this mod are greater than a hundred days.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:39:26 PM by Psiyon »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 02, 2013, 02:21:32 AM »

These guys have been trying to resupply at the planet for an entire cycle, their fleets are so large they won't ever catch up to it. ;D
Spoiler
[close]

Oh and the music doesn't loop for some reason.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 02, 2013, 08:52:43 AM »

Hmm. Never encountered that before--but it seems you're right. I'll lower the orbit speeds for the resupply locations a little; thanks.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Beta 2.1 Released - .54a Compatible)
« Reply #378 on: January 02, 2013, 01:08:54 PM »

Beta 2.1 Released!

>:::After downloading either the full or lite version, download and apply this patch:::<
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/ascendency_Beta2_patch.zip
(Overwrite everything in the Ascendency mod folder)

B.2.1 Changes:

Major Changes:

-Faction data is now properly saved.
-Most corvettes now provide their own hangar space.
-The moons orbit at a slower rate.
-Fixed a typo that said the Ceni Six paycheck was 1000 credits more than it was actually worth.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 02, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »

I'd like to ask, what does Vehicle Militarization do?  It's a free hullmod, I think it's a bit OP. :/
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 02, 2013, 01:24:20 PM »

I'd like to ask, what does Vehicle Militarization do?  It's a free hullmod, I think it's a bit OP. :/
It makes it so your weapons and engines don't get disabled after a few hits. You can try to play without it in a non-shielded ship if you want, but something tells me you'll be putting it back on very fast :P

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 02, 2013, 01:45:33 PM »

Ah, I see.  No wonder it's a tad hard to disable them.  Hm.
Oh, and BTW, I was checking out the hullmods.cvs to see the Vehicle Militarization stats.  Nice ID for it. :P
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Tarkets

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 02, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »

It's a lot of fun KTAing it up, I've got new sympathy for the purple bastards

This is probably related to the faction issue (just now seeing the new patch) but the Cygni were spawning defense fleets for my KTA orbital station. I'll see if it keeps happening after I patch

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 02, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »

It's a lot of fun KTAing it up, I've got new sympathy for the purple bastards

This is probably related to the faction issue (just now seeing the new patch) but the Cygni were spawning defense fleets for my KTA orbital station. I'll see if it keeps happening after I patch
Haven't played a full game through as the KTA yet, but I fully intend to at some point. I find the Coalition to be really fun, but maybe that's just because I like their ships the most.

As for the issue, correct, this is because of faction data not being saved before the patch. The default faction choice was Ceni Six, so the dockyard defense script was reading the default, and then spawning in their fleets. Just make sure you start a new game after you patch, or the issue probably won't be fixed.

Oh, and BTW, I was checking out the hullmods.cvs to see the Vehicle Militarization stats.  Nice ID for it. :P
I could make a lot of dirty jokes here, but all of them would probably get me banned :(

Spardok

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 03, 2013, 01:22:04 AM »

Not to sound unappreciative towards other modders, but this is by far and above my favorite mod. And now my favorite mod has been updated to .54a :D. I love the design towards longer battles over having a capital ship two-shot a frigate, and the whole feeling of having shield generators be some incredibly advanced technology. The giant cost reduction in fighters is great, I always felt if a fighter wing is going to cost as much as a mid-top line destroyer then it should act as such. I have been waiting to see if someone is capable of removing the fleet point cost on fighters and only having them cost hangar points, imo it would give more of a feel for fighters as a support role instead of just point captures and making carriers truly unique. I've noticed that some of the ballistic weapons still in fact have ammunition, I'm not sure if you intended to actually leave some of those weapons like that or not.

As far as balancing goes I really don't see any huge gaps between factions, especially their capital ships. The only real beef I have is with the fighter AI, they seem pretty suicidal. They will just solo rush into a fleet of 10 ships and get annihilated, though I'm guessing that is part of the API and can't be changed with modding at the moment. Though as I said before luckily they are pretty cheap to replace. Forgot to mention the Kartuaa will burndrive right into other ships and continue to ram into them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:11:46 AM by Spardok »

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 03, 2013, 03:48:10 AM »

Uh oh, looks like I found myself a bug! I was in the middle of a fight against the... er... pink enemies when suddenly the whole game crashed.

Spoiler
6076821 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.String  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.ai.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO$Oo.Õ00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.ai.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.Ó00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.ai.system.drones.DroneAI.ÒÕ0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.OOoO.ÕØÒ000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.super.A.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.String.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
[close]

I had been using quite a few of those useful auxilery frigates (the ones with swarms of shield drones) along with a few of the cenii frigates, and was up against one of the large carriers and a few of its fighters.

Edit: It was the KTA that I was up against.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:51:20 AM by sirboomalot »

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 03, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

@Spardok: Glad you'd enjoying it :)
I have been waiting to see if someone is capable of removing the fleet point cost on fighters and only having them cost hangar points, imo it would give more of a feel for fighters as a support role instead of just point captures and making carriers truly unique.
That's an interesting idea, actually. I might toy around with it and see how it works, though I feel it might require a fair bit of rebalancing.

I've noticed that some of the ballistic weapons still in fact have ammunition, I'm not sure if you intended to actually leave some of those weapons like that or not.
Some still have ammo, like the mortar and the spammable PD weapons, but most of the major offensive ballistic weapons are now ammo free--mainly Thiiei's weapons and the KTA's repeater weapons.

The only real beef I have is with the fighter AI, they seem pretty suicidal. They will just solo rush into a fleet of 10 ships and get annihilated, though I'm guessing that is part of the API and can't be changed with modding at the moment. Though as I said before luckily they are pretty cheap to replace. Forgot to mention the Kartuaa will burndrive right into other ships and continue to ram into them.
Mm, yeah, fighters need to be ordered around quite a bit so they don't suicide into the enemy fleet. Sadly, there's really not a lot I can do to change that. Although...

Wait, crap. This just made me realize I didn't add in a skill to increase your command points, which are locked at four.

And lol@ the kartuaa. I don't even want to begin to re-write the burn drive AI code from scratch, so we'll just call this a 'feature' :P

Uh oh, looks like I found myself a bug! I was in the middle of a fight against the... er... pink enemies when suddenly the whole game crashed.

Spoiler
6076821 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.String  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.ai.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO$Oo.Õ00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.ai.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.Ó00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.ai.system.drones.DroneAI.ÒÕ0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.OOoO.ÕØÒ000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.super.A.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.String.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
[close]

I had been using quite a few of those useful auxilery frigates (the ones with swarms of shield drones) along with a few of the cenii frigates, and was up against one of the large carriers and a few of its fighters.

Edit: It was the KTA that I was up against.
Yep, there seems to be an issue in .54a with unarmed drones that might cause a crash. I brought this up to Alex and he said he probably fixed it: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5239.0

Best I can recommend is that if you use the drone frigates, save your game very often.

Also, were you retreating when you got this crash? Or was it just randomly in the middle of combat?

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 03, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »

I had actually just told one of the drone frigates to retreat, since it had taken a beating and was one of the more useful ships in my fleet.

Spardok

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 03, 2013, 02:21:53 PM »

That's an interesting idea, actually. I might toy around with it and see how it works, though I feel it might require a fair bit of rebalancing.
Aye I could see that requiring a fair bit of rebalancing.

Wait, crap. This just made me realize I didn't add in a skill to increase your command points, which are locked at four.
Actually I added that into one of the fleet skills and set it to +900 ><. Was actually going to post about that missing but completely forgot I was the one who modified the CP, rofl.

And lol@ the kartuaa. I don't even want to begin to re-write the burn drive AI code from scratch, so we'll just call this a 'feature' :P
Funny story, I setup my entire fleet as Kartuaas to see if I could ram the enemy fleet to death. Well it certainly worked, but my crew were a bit sad :'(... in space.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Beta 2.2 Released)
« Reply #389 on: January 05, 2013, 05:33:21 PM »

Beta 2.2 Released!
Full version:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/ascendency-Beta_2_2-full.zip

Lite Version (No music):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/ascendency-Beta_2_2-lite.zip

Warning: if you have an old or integrated graphics card and get a startup crash, please download the following fix:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/smallplanettextures.zip

B.2.2 Changes:

Major:

-.54.1a compatibility.
-New logistics skill - "Command" - increases max fleet points.
-A significant number of new sound effects, mainly UI.
-Heavily damaged ships will now have EMP arcs shoot across their hull (purely visual).

Minor:

-Fixed a bug that caused sekrit items to be placed in your dockyard if you were a teamkiller.
-Removed all the unused skills.
-Removed Herobrine.

Next up (tentatively):
-Kamakazi fighters
-Voice acting
-New weapons

I had actually just told one of the drone frigates to retreat, since it had taken a beating and was one of the more useful ships in my fleet.
Thought so. Should be fixed now, though.

Funny story, I setup my entire fleet as Kartuaas to see if I could ram the enemy fleet to death. Well it certainly worked, but my crew were a bit sad :'(... in space.
I need to try that.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37