Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37

Author Topic: (ded) Obsidian Void (ASC: B5) (DOM: D2) - 0.6.2a  (Read 299658 times)

LordMord

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Beta 2 In Development)
« Reply #360 on: December 23, 2012, 12:13:20 AM »

Same as Tarkets.

But being able to choose a Faction is a really cool feature.
Support this indie game: http://www.interstellarmarines.com

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 23, 2012, 09:43:49 AM »

Alright then, I'll re-implement the mercenary system for Ceni Six and Okouth. Thanks for the responses.

@Alex: reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed. And I guess a little bit of pink too, with the text. Yeah. Thanks :P

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 23, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »

Why haven't I heard of this mod until now? ???

Sounds epic, but the link's down.  Damn the incompatibility. -_-
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 24, 2012, 08:07:49 PM »

Sounds epic, but the link's down.  Damn the incompatibility. -_-
Yeah, .54a kind of annihilated all the poor coding I did in the form of making a certain widely-used method crash the game.

Anyway, considering you can now choose your faction, you can now choose which dude you want to play as (or chick if you're into that sort of thing):

You can see the new portraits for Ceni Six and Okouth in there. Lyseti won't be showing up any time soon because the player can't choose to be their faction.

And after like, a week of periodic head-to-desk sessions I got the skill tree working, even though it's a bit small:

Still need to go through and do all the hullmod unlocks and perks, but that's not a big deal.

It'll be out before the end of the year, but sadly it won't be a Christmas gift. Hopefully a late Christmas gift will be acceptable.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 24, 2012, 08:28:59 PM »

Perfectly fine as a late christman gift. :)

I hope you know you can add skill and aptitude points to the "Waste Points Here" part.  Change it to something useful, it's fine and makes the game more interesting.

P.S. - Aren't Tactics and Strategies generally the same thing?
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 24, 2012, 09:05:54 PM »

What you're seeing there is not final. The unused fourth aptitude will be completely removed when I finally get around to it.

As for the difference between strategy and tactics, strategy deals with the big picture--large procedures and operations that serve to accomplish a large-scale goal. Tactics deal with the small-scale methods used to accomplish the subgoals that are set up by an overall strategy. In Ascendency, this translates to strategics providing wide-range benefits throughout your whole fleet, while tactics generally benefits only your ship (and probably other specific things in the future).

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Beta 2 Released - .54a Compatible)
« Reply #366 on: December 31, 2012, 02:19:52 PM »

Beta 2 Released!

Full version:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/ascendency-beta2-full.zip

Lite Version (No music):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/ascendency-beta2-lite.zip

Warning: if you have an old or integrated graphics card and get a startup crash, please download the following fix:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/smallplanettextures.zip

Sorry it took so long. But hey, I did say I'd release it before the end of the year. It's just I released it about 7 hours before the end of the year. Yep.

B.2 Changelog:

Major Changes:

-Added new skill tree.
-You may now choose which faction to play as.
   -Ceni Six is considered "easy" mode. All other factions are significantly more difficult.
   -Ceni Six and Okouth have the mercenary system available to them. (Okouth players can fight for the KTA)
   -You receive a paycheck from your faction. Amount varies.
   -You will have a personal dockyard that you can store items in for free, and it will get deliveries of free resources and ships from time to time
   -Added an easy start option allows you to start the game with multiple ships. Ideal for new players, or those who hate starting out with nothing.
   -You may now choose your portrait, as Tysia is no longer the mod's main character.
   -You will spawn by your faction's homeworld.
   -Your dockyard will spawn around a world your faction controls
-Elite fleets. In response to the player's increased power via the skill system, some AI controlled fleets (Identified by an "(E)" in their fleet name) will use elite ship variants--they will wreck you.
-One new combat track.
-Three new hullmods.
   -Positronic Ammunition - Increases damage to enemy shields by 35%. Ideal for anyone playing a faction with Ceni Six as their enemy.
   -Redundant Systems - Increases the health of weapons and engines by 75%
   -Targeting computer - Increases autofire accuracy by 15%

Lesser changes:

-Four new portraits. Two for Ceni Six, two for Okouth.
-Pretty new splash screen and cursor.
-Some UI sounds.
-One new combat background.
-Added Lyseti ships to the random battle.

Balance Changes:

-Calthiiker bombers are now equipped with a forward-firing Tarna CIWS.
-OAC-78 bombers are now equipped with a forward-firing RFL.
-Fighters and corvettes are now more maneuverable.
-Most ships have slightly increased flux capacities.
-Most ballistic weapons no longer have ammo.
-Probably a lot of other minor edits I cannot remember.

It might not seem like it, but this is a really significant update. I didn't think it would matter all that much, but being able to play as different factions really does a lot for the mod, in my opinion.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 31, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »

Hmm.  I'm going on this now. :D

God, how much space does the music take up that you have to make a lite version? ;D

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 31, 2012, 04:06:51 PM »

Well, what I notice is that (at least for Ceni Six so far) the paycheck says it gives you 5000 credits, yet only gives 4000.

And a patrol?  A player should be able to prey on those, but the KTA patrols have 3 frigates and a fighter. -_- Still fun to play, working out my contracts right now. :D

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 01, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »

God, how much space does the music take up that you have to make a lite version? ;D
~59 megabytes :P Normally I wouldn't bother with a lite version, but I remember some people have really bad internet here.

Well, what I notice is that (at least for Ceni Six so far) the paycheck says it gives you 5000 credits, yet only gives 4000.
Whoops. Fortunately that typo is only present for Ceni Six.

And a patrol?  A player should be able to prey on those, but the KTA patrols have 3 frigates and a fighter. -_- Still fun to play, working out my contracts right now. :D
IIRC, Hegemony patrols in the vanilla game were way stronger than that. When just starting off, you generally want to prey on damaged fleets just escaping combat. Much of the time, there'll be ships that the enemy can't use in combat because of too little crew.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 01, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »

Woops, not a patrol, a scout. o.0 Those things are HARD to take down with just a frigate and maybe that shield platform of yours (which is really epic, btw).

Acolnahuacatl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 01, 2013, 04:24:12 PM »

Something is wrong with the faction system, in that at least some faction information from an existing character is carried over when a saved game is loaded.

The problem doesn't occur if, rather than merely exiting to the main menu or loading from within a running game, you quit the game entirely. I would guess that the faction information isn't initialised when you load a save, or when you exit to the main menu, but only when you start a new game entirely. Anything more specific than that, I can't say: I know nothing about Java generally, or Starfarer specifically.

To reproduce:
  • Start a new game as one faction (tested with Okouth, Thiiei, Coalition).
  • Save and exit, but do not quit the game.
  • Start a second new game as a different faction.
  • Save and exit, but do not quit the game.
  • Load the first savegame you created.
  • The message "You have betrayed your faction..." will appear and your dockyard will be sequestered.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 01, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »

That's incredibly strange... I think I might know the cause of it, though. I have the player's faction choice stored in data/asc/factionData.java, rather than one of the core campaign files, so your guess is probably correct. It should be fixable, though it'll require a some modifications of the code dealing with factions. Or maybe I can cheat and do it an easier way... hmm. Will require some testing.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. When I test, I usually never load previously saved games--I test everything in one sitting until I encounter a bug, upon which I then exit, fix it, and start a new game.

Needless to say, this is very much patch-worthy, so for those of you who are playing this, don't get too attached to your saved games.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 01, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »

Ah, just got the chance to do a good playthrough on it. :) From the start, I can tell that it's much harder to destroy ships, either because of increased armor/hull, or decreased weapon DPS compared to vanilla.  This is both good and bad, good for the strategic and cagey player who wish to meticulously plan thier battles out and suffer no casualties (like me :D), yet bad for the player who wants to jump in for combat, for the obvious lack of swift and quick endings.

There's also the variety of special and peculiar ships.  The Auxilary Ship, for example, is a portable drone shield!  Now, I'm only two months into the game (though I seem to be lacking my second paycheck - I'll have to see if I missed it on the popup bar), and that ship with it's shield drones has saved me more than once from a very *** off destroyer or frigate. :)

And finally, destroying a ship is now more of a celebration than "oh goodie, there's another one of the thousands of wimps they're thowing at me".  Strike ships prove much mroe valuable than they were before, as they can end a fight before it goes bad (at least on your end.  There's none to say about the guy on the other end of the torpedo. :))

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 01, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »

Well, you need to slow down the orbit on the planets by a lot, the fleets can't resupply. and you can barely catch up to them.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37