Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37

Author Topic: (ded) Obsidian Void (ASC: B5) (DOM: D2) - 0.6.2a  (Read 299616 times)

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Alpha 4 Released)
« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2012, 11:27:11 PM »

For the Iri that outranges everything? That's on half damage. Lemme go set it on full and take it for a spin against the KTA.

EDIT: Welp, using the transforming Esk carrier that still outranges and outhurts (if that's not a word, it is now) everything and a fleet of fighters, managed to mess up a KTA Patrol Group.
http://puu.sh/Dgbc
Will try again in a little while against a bigger roaming KTA fleet, then maybe one of the super fleets guarding the Citadel. Again, my only tactic being to rush for a sensor array, then sit on top of it so that it can't be uncapped.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Managed to take down a Thiian Task Force. I think that's the biggest roaming Thiian fleet, isn't it? Took pretty bad damage in that fight though. Survived with about 30% hull and like half of the fighters gone. Can't provide a screenshot as Puush seems to be having a derpy moment.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 03:33:10 AM by IIE16 Yoshi »

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 25, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »

For the Iri that outranges everything? That's on half damage. Lemme go set it on full and take it for a spin against the KTA.
Ah, okay. I had a feeling. It was pretty overpowered anyway; it must have been invincible on half damage.

EDIT: Welp, using the transforming Esk carrier that still outranges and outhurts (if that's not a word, it is now) everything and a fleet of fighters, managed to mess up a KTA Patrol Group.
http://puu.sh/Dgbc
Will try again in a little while against a bigger roaming KTA fleet, then maybe one of the super fleets guarding the Citadel. Again, my only tactic being to rush for a sensor array, then sit on top of it so that it can't be uncapped.
Yeah, patrol groups really aren't a major threat. That situation's outcome is somewhat expected, though I'm surprised you didn't lose more '84s. Also, the carrier no longer outranges everything, so sensor-camping won't work all that well anymore. Sorry :P

(I also think I figured out what was up with the pieces of the carrier flying off--some of the ship bounds weren't aligned all that well so they crossed through some of the sprite (intentional, as I figured it didn't matter much). I haven't checked, but I think it should be fixed now.)

---

Aside from balancing and other polish, there's some new stuff content-wise.

I've given the Okouth a bit of love. They now have the ability to ruin your day with a nice destroyer and a new heavy fighter.

Saldara-class Destroyer:

Vasir-class Assaultcraft (Unmanned drone):

I, personally, love the look of how this one turned out. Looks pretty nasty.

And the Coalition had an unused ship laying around, so I was like "what the hell" and put it in-game:

Telanitan-class Heavy Frigate:

It's got a large mount, some small slots, and two medium missile slots. It's a decent frigate, but its OP count is low, meaning with a full loadout, there's almost no room for additional hullmods.

---

Man, I'm really liking the new title track. I've been trying to make a theme song for this universe for years, and I think I've finally done it. Something cinematic and elegant-sounding. If anyone wants to hear it, I could upload it to utub or something.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 25, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »

Aha, all the new tight fittings  :D
I wonder what could have provoked all this  ::)

Hm. New frigate has missiles, so I could probably squeeze some extra hullmods in there. That's where most of my stuff comes from, removing the missiles, and downsizing the guns.

EDIT:
Will you be doing any tweaking to some of the heavier weapons? The Esk have a medium weapon, I think it's the PIC, or something like that. The large version is double the fitting costs, for a minor increase to range and damage. I could mount those, or I could mount the next size down, and fit a ton of damage and range hullmods to augment all of the weapons on my ship.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:17:14 PM by IIE16 Yoshi »

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 25, 2012, 08:15:35 PM »

Will you be doing any tweaking to some of the heavier weapons? The Esk have a medium weapon, I think it's the PIC, or something like that. The large version is double the fitting costs, for a minor increase to range and damage. I could mount those, or I could mount the next size down, and fit a ton of damage and range hullmods to augment all of the weapons on my ship.
Weapons of all sizes have been tweaked a lot already. The dual Pulsed Ion Cannon now is roughly twice the power of the single medium version, so those extra ordnance points are worth it now.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2012, 11:27:53 AM »

Hrm, sounds awesome. Maybe I'll stick to using the right size guns in the right size mounts  :D

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Alpha 5 Released)
« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2012, 01:53:31 PM »

Alpha 5 released!

Full Version: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/ascendency-A.5-full.zip
No music: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/ascendency-A.5-lite.zip
As usual, for Linux/Mac users, let me know if it works on your system.

Well, this release doesn't add a whole ton content-wise, but it should hopefully make the mod a lot more enjoyable.

(Rough) Patch notes:

-KTA now utilize a mix of ballistic and energy weapons.
-9 new weapons.
   -L/M/H Repeaters, Mortar, Minigun, Dispersion Cannon, Long-range Plasma Cannon, Long-range Coil Gun, Dual Magnetic Rail Gun.
-2 new Okouth ships, the Saldara (destroyer), and the Vasir (unmanned fighter), 1 new Coalition ship, the Telanitan (frigate).
-Massive balance changes all across the board, major changes include:
   -The range gap between small and large weapons has been slightly reduced to prevent large ships from dominating smaller ones based solely on weapon range.
   -Missiles generally have a little more ammo.
   -OP values for weapons should now more accurately reflect the strength of that weapon.
   -"Reroute" hullmods have been changed, the impact to speed and maneuverability is now greater, and the benefits lesser. The benefits gained before from the reduction of ship speed was simply too great at such a little cost.
   -Paychecks from Thiiei and the Coalition now arrive a bit sooner, and provide more money.
   -Fuel's price has been raised so you now can get more money from selling it.
   -Marginal increase in prices of frigates.
   -Ipelak/Falshiiker gunships now come in squads of 3.
   -Madenus HP/Armor increased, now has a forward-mounted SRM.
-New music tracks:
   -"Beyond Familiar Stars" -New title track made specifically for Ascendency.
   -"Rain Geometries & "Indigo Room", by H.U.V.A. Network, taking the places of the 1st and 3rd campaign tracks.
-New fuel/supplies icons.
-New chrome look for Okouth weapons to match their ships.
-The random battle mission is now truly random: objective locations are now randomized along with fleet compositions.
-Weapon slots on a few ships have been re-arranged to be more logical. (This was only a problem when assigning weapon groups on the refit screen, as weapons on some ships were in no logical order)
-Some fighters/corvettes now have hullmods to boost their strength.
-Spawn rates in the campaign have been tweaked, major factions are now a bit more equal.

And Yoshi, when you manage to break the mod again, I'm curious if you'd be interested in helping me out in the balance department. Balance was never one of my strong points.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2012, 01:58:06 PM »

May i ask who made that music track that was specifically designed for this mod? :D

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 29, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »

I made it; it was originally based off of this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyaJi0fU9kM, but over the months, it diverged quite significantly. There are still some similar elements like the main synth pad and the beats-per-minute, but that's about it.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 01, 2012, 10:14:36 AM »

And Yoshi, when you manage to break the mod again, I'm curious if you'd be interested in helping me out in the balance department. Balance was never one of my strong points.

I would love to, but lately, this laptop has been slowly dying on me. The backlight on the monitor turns off at random, with the lid still open, making the screen pitch black, though still turned on, and barely visible. Don't know what's causing it, and I don't know how to fix. Not sure if it's wiring gone bad, or the video card, or something on the laptop's mobo.

EDIT:
I'll try and put some playtime in, see how stuff goes.
Really liking some parts of the patch notes, new weapons seem interesting (namely LRPC and LRCG), ranges being fiddled with... heh, the OP reassessment. Really liking that the Madenus has more HP and armour along with an SRM. Perhaps now it can be the little tank I expected it to be. Curious on the chrome  Okouth ships. I envision ships, with indistinguishable edges from the amount of glare reflecting off their hulls.  :D

DOUBLE EDIT: (And so, the edit train sets off)
Dayum! Esk Carrier really has had some tweaking. 2 small energy guns removed, 2 medium added. Some large guns moved about, and the OP has been tightened up significantly, considering the new medium guns. Flew off to the Thiian station, liked the look of the Ipelak and Falshiiker in their 3 wing formats, but then Starfarer crashed on me. Nothing new there, though. So tempted to fiddle with save and add a few zeroes to that 5000 starting cash, so I can buy all the things and try them out. Also, you mentioned about adding that other faction, why not make them the yellow guys? Give the K-44 some friends to chill with, seeing as (by lore), it's become fairly universal as a freighter.

TRIPLE EDIT:
You seem to have 'removed' the Esk Carrier's 6th large gun, by placing the medium energy turret directly on top of it, making it in-accessible.
http://puu.sh/F7pU
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:09:07 PM by IIE16 Yoshi »

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 01, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »

Also, you mentioned about adding that other faction, why not make them the yellow guys? Give the K-44 some friends to chill with, seeing as (by lore), it's become fairly universal as a freighter.
I'd actually planned on making the new faction's color yellow :P But, yeah, the Lyseti will have a few civilian-ish ships, so the K-44 will have some friends to hang with.

You seem to have 'removed' the Esk Carrier's 6th large gun, by placing the medium energy turret directly on top of it, making it in-accessible.
http://puu.sh/F7pU
Huh, I guess that was a slight oversight--but the Kaeomdus is only supposed to have 5 large energy mounts now, so I don't see it as needing a fix.

Thanks for the feedback, and good luck with fixing up your laptop. :)

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 04, 2012, 11:11:07 AM »

Just installed mod and this is a totally great new game! Without shields to rely on gameplay totally different and i like this change after countless hours of original starfarer. Incredible work here, big thank you and keep it up!

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 04, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »

Just installed mod and this is a totally great new game! Without shields to rely on gameplay totally different and i like this change after countless hours of original starfarer. Incredible work here, big thank you and keep it up!
Glad you're enjoying it :)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Alpha 5.1 Released)
« Reply #237 on: July 05, 2012, 07:10:22 PM »

A minor update:

5.1 Patch: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/Asc_5.1_Patch.zip

(Rough) Patch notes:

A.5.1 Changes:

-Campaign balancing, factions are more even.
-Increased crew requirements for destroyers slightly, decreased crew requirements of Saldara.
-Reverted to an older version of the rank icons.
-Fiddled with the PIC 880's accuracy, gave it more spread.
-Gave the two new long-range weapons role descriptions in descriptions.csv.
-Fixed a bug with the Makalan's variant that caused both of its guns to be in the same weapon group.

Unless there are any major issues or something, the mod will probably be on a short hold until Starfarer .53a comes out. I need a break, and more importantly, an excuse to finally get back to writing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:15:22 AM by Psiyon »

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 07, 2012, 12:13:23 AM »

Anyone else using OSX found the 5.1 patch to be a Mainstage (Garage Band) application?

I can't use it :P

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 07, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »

Anyone else using OSX found the 5.1 patch to be a Mainstage (Garage Band) application?

I can't use it :P
lulwut. That's strange. You can't just rename the file extension?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37