Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37

Author Topic: (ded) Obsidian Void (ASC: B5) (DOM: D2) - 0.6.2a  (Read 299627 times)

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Thiiei's Ascendency (Introduction Video Released)
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »

Very Cool video.  Excellent work by you.... 8)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »

Wow, very impressive! Got me pumped up to play the mod, which I suppose is the point :)

Not to put a damper on things, but just noticed something - I believe it's spelled "ascendancy".
Thanks Alex :)

And actually, 'ascendancy' is one of those weird English words that has more than one spelling. Granted, the version with the A in it is the most widely used. I just chose the E version because the A version sounds like it has the word 'dance' in it, and I am terrible at dancing.

Wow, impressive that you kept the render time down by keeping most of the work to AE.  I completely forgot about VCP's optical flares plugin, I'll have to check it out.  Great job and fantastic digital painting skills.  Keep it up.
Heh, rendering the battle scene with all the flickering lens flares still murdered my CPU. At least AE is properly threaded if it uses all six cores to 100%, I guess. And Optical Flares is awesome.

And of course, I appreciate the compliments. Nice to know I'm doing something right :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2012, 10:33:22 AM »

And actually, 'ascendancy' is one of those weird English words that has more than one spelling. Granted, the version with the A in it is the most widely used. I just chose the E version because the A version sounds like it has the word 'dance' in it, and I am terrible at dancing.

Ah, my bad. Not sure how I missed that when I was looking it up!

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2012, 03:19:17 AM »

It might just be me, or your uber-awesome video may have backfired...

It makes me want to play Eve, not starfarer... :P
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2012, 07:35:49 AM »

Psiyon, you inspired me to try my hand at a space video thing.  It's more of a short clip without audio, but I think it turned out nicely all things considered. I took more of a render-heavy approach, but it wasn't too bad time wise.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2012.msg27385#msg27385

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2012, 05:01:52 PM »

Well, after smashing my head into my keyboard for a few hours, this happened:

Still need to add the KTA and Ceni Six factions in, but they'll be real simple.

And I also found out that outfitting any ship with 5+ Dual RFLs is absolutely hilarious.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »

Got the KTA and C.SIX factions ingame, though their variety of ships is pretty limited.

So far, it works like this: you start out in a Kio (A shielded ship), and the Okouth and KTA are hostile to you. Thiiei and the Coalition constantly throw ships back and forth at each others' worlds. There are a total of 5 stations, one for each faction active on the map that sells faction-specific merchandise (meaning you can't buy Thiian ships or weapons at a KTA station, etc).

Having toyed around in the campaign for a while, it seems the factions are balanced enough in the sense that none totally overwhelms the system (Usually--there was an odd game where Thiiei got Zerg-rushed by the Coalition).

From now on, it's really just polishing. Looking at my list, the only major things left to do are the ship/weapon descriptions and some minor graphical edits and additions.

If anyone is interested in alpha testing, now would be the time to tell me as I can probably have the test version to you before the end of the week.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »

If anyone is interested in alpha testing, now would be the time to tell me as I can probably have the test version to you before the end of the week.

I apply.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2012, 05:57:54 PM »

I apply.
You'll be contacted when I'm ready to start testing :)

The final bits of art to make it into the alpha: sexy crew icons.

I figured that I should make some new crew icons that really portrayed the idea of "leveling up", instead of just giving them a new space suit. So our green little eskel officer starts off with no badges, ribbons or fancy decorations/equipment on her uniform at first, but as she moves up the ranks, she turns more and more badass-looking:

From green to elite:

And the marine:

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2012, 05:59:47 PM »

Holy crap, those crew/marine icons are incredible. I also really like the rank icon thingies as well. Is there gonna be any other icon/HUD thingieing about, by any chance?

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2012, 06:08:32 PM »

The icons seem so good it kinda pales the weapon images lol

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »

Is there gonna be any other icon/HUD thingieing about, by any chance?

Probably not in the alpha. The ui was going to have an orange and red theme to it, but after the. 51a update, I can't modify the ui colors anymore for some reason.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »

Probably not in the alpha. The ui was going to have an orange and red theme to it, but after the. 51a update, I can't modify the ui colors anymore for some reason.

That was a bug, to do with how json files were being merged - fixed in 0.52a. I'll also see about making more of the UI colors moddable.

Btw - as of a couple of hours ago, music can be modded as well.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2012, 07:11:26 PM »

That was a bug, to do with how json files were being merged - fixed in 0.52a. I'll also see about making more of the UI colors moddable.

Btw - as of a couple of hours ago, music can be modded as well.
Alex, I love you.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2012, 07:16:36 PM »

Those look good, however in-game its a little tricky to see which ones are higher ranked though.

Maybe consider having each higher rank gain an extra square in the upper-left corner instead.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37